Review of our Spring Break 2011 cruise on Carnival Liberty

PaulMedik

Love the review. I had to laugh at the photo of your 16 year old lounging back in the room after breakfast. On our spring break cruise on the Glory this year, my 16 year old son would do the same thing. His twin sister would be out and about with either us or the teen club, but on sea days, DS would go back to the room and relax! Must be a guy thing!

Thank you all for your kind comments.

There was still another ship due to sail, but our boys were hungry and we'd already told them we were going to eat at a place nearby so we had to leave before it sailed;

CarnivalLiberty2011174-vi.jpg

We made it about a block and a half North before the ship passed by where we had been;

CarnivalLiberty2011176-vi.jpg

A lady on the beach earlier had recommended Big Pink at the corner of 2nd and Collins. She said it was similar to Jerry's Famous Deli (Our boys favorite) in terms of variety and portion sizes. Our boys were starved so taking a pic before entering didn't appeal too much to them;

CarnivalLiberty2011183-vi.jpg

I had a burger that this pic doesn't do justice. It was bigger than big!

CarnivalLiberty2011178-vi.jpg

We had Chili & Cheese Fries while waiting for our dinners to arrive. Bryson and Spencer both ordered lasagna, but didn't expect their meals to be large enough for all five of us;

CarnivalLiberty2011181-vi.jpg

I'd love to show you pics of their empty plates, but none exist nor could they exist because there was simply too much. I always tell the boys I don't care what they order as long as they eat it all, but I didn't force the issue at Big Pink. Spencer decided he needed to finish his root beer before digging in to his block of lasagna;

CarnivalLiberty2011182-vi.jpg

We declined the offer to pack our leftovers in a box. We all ate so much that the thought of eating again that evening was not in the forecast.

On the walk back to our hotel I noticed another coral of bicycles. I had noticed the corals a few other places and saw quite a few more bikes than normal. They're a good idea and I hope they're still around on our next trip so we can try them out;

CarnivalLiberty2011184-vi.jpg

The walk back to our hotel was scenic in a way that only SOBE can achieve;

CarnivalLiberty2011188-vi.jpg

This pic shows the hallway mentioned earlier as smelling musty and needing carpets replaced. As you can see, it wasn't as bad as many of us have seen other places, but it didn't fit in with everything else at Savoy Hotel.

CarnivalLiberty2011194-vi.jpg

Panorama shot from our balcony;

CarnivalLiberty2011202-vi.jpg

I uploaded this pic to FaceBook and tagged Bryson then tagged his girlfriend as being where his arm was;

CarnivalLiberty2011208-vi.jpg

Karen relaxing on the deck @ Savoy Hotel talking to her sister on her phone;

CarnivalLiberty2011215-vi.jpg

While Karen and I were sitting out on the elevated deck it started to rain lightly, then the skies opened as we huddled under an umbrella;

IMG_0778-vi.jpg

The rain lasted longer than we expected so we eventually had to make a run for it back inside. We enjoyed a very relaxing night's sleep and awoke refreshed the next day.

Bryson was up early checking his FaceBook account on the laptop;

CarnivalLiberty2011001-vi.jpg

Britt woke up briefly, but went into our bed to get some more sleep while we got things ready to leave;

CarnivalLiberty2011005-vi.jpg

We attached two luggage tags to each bag and while doing so discovered a second bag that was damaged and in need of replacement. The metal frame which maintains the shape and integrity of the bag was broken and there was no way to stick in back in place.

CarnivalLiberty2011008-vi.jpg

After we had all our bags tagged and ready Larry's Limo driver called and said he was out front so we headed downstairs;

Again I'll mention that limos are not designed to haul luggage;

CarnivalLiberty2011011-vi.jpg

Once everyone was inside the limo our driver had to manuever for quite a while to turn around in front of our hotel and navigate Miami Gay Pride Parade line up (Which was in front of our hotel) and avoid hitting construction barricades as well. I'm not sure how he got the limo turned around because it would have been tight for even a small car to turn, but I'm very glad he did. Can you tell that everyone expected him to hit something at any time?

CarnivalLiberty2011012-vi.jpg

We had mentioned to our driver that we wanted to stop by the TJ Maxx mall and get another suit case on the way to Downtown Miami where we were picking up friends of ours. After his difficulty getting out of Ocean Drive we tried to redirect him to just go to downtown and not worry about the mall, but a language barrier prevented him from understanding. It seemed like we turned a dozen circles and though I have no idea how we got to the mall, we made it there. TJ Maxx is on level five of a mall unlike any other mall I've been to. It's like a parking garage with mall stores scattered thoughout, but I found TJ Maxx and bought an $800 Tommy Hillfiger suitcase for $89 and Bryson a pair of $400 navigator sunglasses for $12.50. Do people ever really pay that much for things?

Karen unpacking and repacking the new suitcase;

CarnivalLiberty2011014-vi.jpg

Along the way I managed to snap a quick pic of our Carnival Liberty funnel;

CarnivalLiberty2011016-vi.jpg

Our friends were staying with their family in downtown Miami and our driver circled the block a time or two then found them. The two of them sure packed too much like we did;

CarnivalLiberty2011021-vi.jpg

When we arrived at the port Liberty's funnel was a welcome sight to behold towering above the boarding area;

CarnivalLiberty2011023-vi.jpg

Another welcome sight was all of our luggage loaded onto a porter's dolly for the appropriate bins. Again one can read his lips in this silent still photos as saying 'How the H$% can seven people pack so much S&%*?' Either that or how'd we fit that and all of us in one limo....

CarnivalLiberty2011024-vi.jpg

I did tip him a $20 and a stack of $1s to find the correct bin. He was very friendly and earned every penny of his tips from us.

I don't know why I watched everyone walking and took their picture instead of telling them they were walking the wrong way;

CarnivalLiberty2011025-vi.jpg

We found the VIP line upon entering the terminal and were whisked to the front of the line and security where I couldn't comprehend that I needed to leave my laptop in it's case and not remove cell phones etc. I was just too geared toward TSA security that even though the port security agent told me repeatedly to leave stuff bagged up and in my pockets that I couldn't comprehend. I also met a fellow CC roll call member who also was failing to abide by security directives...........:eek: It was actually hillarious at the time to know what she was saying yet be unable to comply because it didn't sound right. Never have had that feeling before and don't want it again. :o All I could do was laugh and try to comply, but I couldn't stop removing my laptop no matter how hard she tried to stop me.

Anyhow. After going thru security we went to the VIP area and barely had time to finish registering and getting our S&S cards before they announced that boarding was beginning for VIP. It seemed like they announced more than usual that VIP passengers were now boarding. I looked at one of my fellow VIPers and she told me to hurry up before they changed their mind about sending us on first! I don't know her and never saw her again, but she was a wise cruiser indeed!

Here's one of the two pics I got while in the VIP area;

IMG_0780-vi.jpg

When we got to the top of the escalator we were first in line for the photogs (that's Jake on the far left and his Mom Heather on the far right) ;

CarnivalLibertyApril16Boarding-vi.jpg

After the photog's pic we headed back across the second level of the terminal to the gangway;

CarnivalLiberty2011027-vi.jpg

Karen's S&S photographer was having issues with her camera which would come back to haunt us later on......

CarnivalLiberty2011028-vi.jpg

I went straight to the shore excursion desk upon boarding the ship and was second in line? Not sure how that happened, but oh well. A Carnival employee stopped by and told us the desk wouldn't be open until 12:30, but others in line had asked at Guest Services and were told 11:30 so I waited. When the desk opened I requested Cabana #15 and was told it was taken already. The man in front of me requested #14 and got it so I was left with #13. Lucky 13. It's a good thing I'm not superstitious (Spelt correctly 'cause I looked it up on dictionary.com).

The boys had tried out their S&S cards at the atrium bar and incidentally were told that they couldn't set at the bar because they weren't 21. I thought that was amusing given the recent thread on CC about the bar and what age you have to be to sit there. All of the bar seats were empty, but I'm sure they filled up shortly thereafter.

CarnivalLiberty2011030-vi.jpg

After the delay in requesting a specific cabana and drinks from the atrium bar we headed up to Lido. By now the older boys had gone exploring so we missed our traditional first pic on Lido;

CarnivalLiberty2011031-vi.jpg

My Lido 'brunch' was quite tasty;

CarnivalLiberty2011034-vi.jpg

We always eat on deck 10 above the Lido buffet area near the Fish & Chips. When we first got there I asked one of the chef's if they had any oysters and he mentioned they were working on Fish and Chips. I said they looked tasty. I planned to stop by there later and get some oysters but while we were eating the chef delivered two plates of Fish and Chips to me at our table. We sailed Dream last year where the pasta bar delivers your orders, but it was totally unexpected for him to bring me Fish & Chips to my table.

CarnivalLiberty2011039-vi.jpg

Britt had pizza;

CarnivalLiberty2011035-vi.jpg

Bryson tried out the grill (Yeah I know they look messy, but I tried a bite and they were quite tasty! ;

CarnivalLiberty2011037-vi.jpg

After we ate I walked to the aft of deck 10 to see what our balcony looked like from above. Our balcony was #8455 and is the top balcony in this pic;

CarnivalLiberty2011041-vi.jpg

After seeing our balcony there was no way I could wait until 1:30 to check it out closer so I gathered up Karen, Heather, and Britt and headed to our cabin;

CarnivalLiberty2011040-vi.jpg

The aft crew stairs lead from Lido to a doorway right beside our cabin;

CarnivalLiberty2011042-vi.jpg

When we got to our cabin we discovered it was ready and Britt discovered there was no couch for him to sleep on. Can you tell he was a bit concerned that he may have to stay with his brothers?

CarnivalLiberty2011043-vi.jpg

First look at our balcony;

CarnivalLiberty2011044-vi.jpg

Looking across the aft of deck eight from our balcony;

CarnivalLiberty2011045-vi.jpg

CC is slow again so I'll take a break. Thank you all for your comments and patience with the frequent delays. Is Fotki displaying pics OK for everyone?

Love the review and pics. Do you remember what time Guest Services opened?

fern1226,

They were open as soon as we boarded, but it took a few hours before they could make any S&S changes because the systems were still 'shoreside' as they called it. We had to return there later in the day to get an extra key made for the boys room.

Sweet! I am always set for a PaulMedik review. As always, thanks for taking the time to write it.

I do have to make a comment - I noticed in an earlier shot that one of your sons was wearing an Autism Awareness band. As the mom of a daughter with autism, may I just say thank you:D It is nice to see such aware teens!

Paul,

Even before I read a single post on your review... just want to say... YEAH!! I knew you went for Spring Break and kept looking daily for your review.

Cannot wait to dive in to your yearly adventure with your wife and boys! I feel as if I have followed you for years... (which I have)! I have learned so much from your adventures, and with three kids like you .. now 16, 12, and 6... your experiences have certainly guided THIS family of five!

Catrin

Love the review. I had to laugh at the photo of your 16 year old lounging back in the room after breakfast. On our spring break cruise on the Glory this year, my 16 year old son would do the same thing. His twin sister would be out and about with either us or the teen club, but on sea days, DS would go back to the room and relax! Must be a guy thing!

My 16 year old too! He would actually wait patiently for our room steward to finish, then go right back in the room! "MOM>>> I am relaxing!!". Ok, you win.

fern1226,

They were open as soon as we boarded, but it took a few hours before they could make any S&S changes because the systems were still 'shoreside' as they called it. We had to return there later in the day to get an extra key made for the boys room.

Thanks. I will need to pick my cabana when I get onboard.

Ahh, the long awaited famous Medik review has begun!!:D Been out of pocket for a couple of days, but see I have not missed too much. The CC slowness must be dricing you crazy:cool: Seeing the ships come out of the shute (and I missed them...:mad:) makes me almost feel like I was with you. Keep it coming....

Great review and awaiting more info on ports and excursion - altho I had a little trouble 'stomaching' the hours old pizza that you ate later that day? (says someone who works for Health Canada and used to work for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency - you can never be too careful? :D:D)

Archived