Review of our Spring Break 2011 cruise on Carnival Liberty

PaulMedik

Cruisers were myself, DW Karen, DS's Bryson 16, Spencer 14, and Britt 10.

We flew direct from Huntington WV to Fort Lauderdale and used Larry's Limo for transportation to our precruise hotel; The Hotel Savoy South Beach. We also stayed at the Savoy post cruise before flying back out of Fort Lauderdale to Huntington WV.

It was our 4th cruise on Carnival Liberty. We sailed on April 16th to the Eastern Caribbean out of Miami with stops in Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk.

Our cabin was 8455 and our sons cabin was 8435.

We had a great time and very relaxing cruise.

You can view pictures of our cruise by CLICKING HERE and browsing the 2011 Carnival Liberty albums or you can continue reading.

^ ^ ^ ^^^^^^^ END OF SHORT VERSION OF REVIEW ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^^^^^

Most of the country weathered a very snowy winter season and our area of the country was no exception. I lost count of how many days of school our boys missed, but when your boys actually get to where they are missing school mentally and not just having snow days, then it's a lot. They missed so much school that the school board considered cancelling their spring break holiday week just to make up a few days; I'm glad they reconsidered because truancy officers would have been knocking on our door when we returned because we'd have left town regardless!

We began our Spring Break vacation by picking our boys up from school early on Thursday April 14 for our flight out of Huntington to Fort Lauderdale via Allegiant Air.

Here's my clan sequestered in the boarding area of Huntington's TriState Airport;

CarnivalLiberty2011002-vi.jpg

Stop. Wait while I get a picture;

CarnivalLiberty2011003-vi.jpg

Hey Bryson;

CarnivalLiberty2011004-vi.jpg

Britt charted our flight South on a Nuvi GPS. It's amusing to watch the Nuvi try and find nearby addresses as you're passing by @ 500+ MPH;

CarnivalLiberty2011014-vi.jpg

Our flight South was uneventful. Britt and I kept an eye on our location while everyone else slept. After the winter we had it sure was nice to be flying into some warm weather. How do they sleep with all that beautiful scenery right out the window?

CarnivalLiberty2011020-vi.jpg

Before we knew it we were on approach to Fort Lauderdale International Airport. Our approach began from the East over the ocean and proceded West just North of Port Everglades;

CarnivalLiberty2011026-vi.jpg

The sleeping folks were all now wide awake;

CarnivalLiberty2011033-vi.jpg

We headed for the baggage claim area to retieve our carefully packed personal effects;

CarnivalLiberty2011035-vi.jpg

While Karen and I rested at a nearby table, our boys gathered our luggage;

CarnivalLiberty2011039-vi.jpg

Some of our luggage didn't fare to well.... This piece was missing not only a wheel, but also the area the wheel mounted to was MIA as well (I guess I should call it FLL instead of MIA, but perhaps the wheel was in MIA instead?)

CarnivalLiberty2011040-vi.jpg

Our luggage didn't arrive together so we had some time to relax while waiting. It's amusing how everyone gathers around the luggage carousels waiting to grab their bag when it will come whenever it comes whether they are waiting or not;

IMG_0740-vi.jpg

Our driver from Larry's Limo had called me as soon as I entered the terminal and advised he was nearby and would pull in after we claimed our luggage. As soon as we had everything gathered up we called and he pulled up right outside (Yes I am aware that damaged luggage claims have to be filed immediately, but the luggage cost doesn't compare to lost time on vacation so I didn't fool with filing a claim);

CarnivalLiberty2011042-vi.jpg

One of the best things about limos is that they can stop and block traffic anywhere and nobody seems to mind. One of the worst things is that they have freakishly small trunks;

CarnivalLiberty2011043-vi.jpg

Another nice thing about Limos is they are comfy, though not really designed for sight seeing;

CarnivalLiberty2011045-vi.jpg

Limos also have plenty of room inside for luggage that didn't fit in the trunk;

CarnivalLiberty2011051-vi.jpg

Can't wait to read the rest of your review. Did you hear any whisperings:cool: while onboard about what "big drydock changes for Liberty" that John Heald said would occur in October?

After a comfortable ride we were soon standing outside our hotel in South Beach;

CarnivalLiberty2011053-vi.jpg

We have stayed at many hotels on South Beach, but this was our first time staying at Hotel Savoy. I had pictures of it from a few years ago that I didn't realize I had until we returned from the cruise and I was looking through old pics to see if I had any. It's safe to say that we'll be staying at Hotel Savoy EVERY time we sail out of Miami in the future.

CarnivalLiberty2011055-vi.jpg

Karen, Britt, and Spencer checking out the living room area of our Ocean Front room;

CarnivalLiberty2011059-vi.jpg

Byrson checking to make sure Mom & Dad's bed was comfy;

CarnivalLiberty2011061-vi.jpg

The pool area of Hotel Savoy as seen from our balcony;

CarnivalLiberty2011064-vi.jpg

We arrived just before dark, but that didn't stop us from checking out the pool. Bryson had many texts to return so even though he was in the pool, he was texting;

CarnivalLiberty2011068-vi.jpg

Can't wait to read the rest of your review. Did you hear any whisperings while onboard about what "big drydock changes for Liberty" that John Heald said would occur in October?

pe4all,

Not a peep. Whatever it is I hope it's not too drastic; Liberty is our favorite ship and TLC is all she needs IMO. Well, TLC and a Serenity area!

Byrson had to send one last text before handing his phone to Karen after she reminded him that his phone wasn't waterproof;

CarnivalLiberty2011069-vi.jpg

On the way to our hotel we passed a mall with TJ Maxx a block or so away so Karen and I caught a cab there and bought a replacement suit case. Liz Claiborne must be a wealthy woman because her luggage sells for $400 dollars! TJ Maxx sells it at a more reasonable $89. It comes with a ten year warrant against just about everything.....

CarnivalLiberty2011070-vi.jpg

Karen packed two pizza's from our hometown pizzaria in our carryon bags that drew amused comments from TSA inspectors, but they let it thru. We had planned to eat on our way to the airport, but ended up eating in our hotel room. Our room came with a full kitchen so it was no problem heating up pizza;

CarnivalLiberty2011066-vi.jpg

We enjoyed a relaxing evening by the pool at Hotel Savoy and in our comfortable room for the night.

The Hotel Savoy is located on the 400 block of Ocean Drive in Miami so it's within VERY easy walking distance of Government Cut. Here's the view from Government Cut before sunrise on April 15;

CarnivalLiberty2011010-vi.jpg

As you can tell, it was my idea and not Karen's to get up @ 0 dark thirty and watch the ships sail in;

CarnivalLiberty2011015-vi.jpg

She had no idea why I had her sit on the rocks for this picture;

CarnivalLiberty2011026-vi.jpg

Before too long we saw a ship in the distance;

CarnivalLiberty2011016-vi.jpg

A Carnival funnel is ALWAYS a welcome sight;

CarnivalLiberty2011027-vi.jpg

We haven't sailed her, but Imagination sure is a beautiful ship;

CarnivalLiberty2011031-vi.jpg

After the ship sailed in, it was nice to see a sunrise over the ocean;

IMG_0759-vi.jpg

On our walk back up the beach to our hotel, we noticed some pro photogs were taking advantage of the sunrise to capture some shots;

CarnivalLiberty2011057-vi.jpg

Wow! I'm so glad I have a camera with a zoom lens! Sorry I can't share those pics, but trust me she's wears her bikini well!

CarnivalLiberty2011065-vi.jpg

The boards are starting to run VERY slow so it's break time. If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I may not know the answer, but you'll never know until you ask. Before anyone asks, I have no clue who the beach model is.

Paul - thanks for answering. I am also sure Serenity will be added, but people are speculating a "Red Frog Pub" may also be added. I also love Liberty - she was my first CCL cruise, and holds a special place in my heart. Will be on her again Xmas for Eastern It. cruise!

Thanks for the review, Paul. I honestly think you write the best, most informative and fun reviews on this site! Each review is eagerly anticipated and, I hope you know, appreciated.

So excited to see the latest installment of your family's cruise vacation. Your reviews are always one of my favorites, and I was anxiously awaiting your return. We are sailing on the Liberty for the 1st time next year and can't wait!!!

Thank you all for your kind comments.

I wish CC was running a little faster so I could post more at one time.....

was there an indian food statin at the buffet? did you go to the comedy club? if so how was it?

JoyB,

Yes there was an indian food station, but I didn't try it this time.

I didn't go to the comedy club, but my oldest son and friends sailing with us went to each one and he said they were funnier than he expected.

By the time we got back to our hotel, the sun was bright;

CarnivalLiberty2011070-vi.jpg

Looking up at our balconies from the pool area;

CarnivalLiberty2011071-vi.jpg

One of the pools from the elevated area next to the beach;

CarnivalLiberty2011072-vi.jpg

Another angle from the same area showing both pools;

CarnivalLiberty2011074-vi.jpg

The pool with the trees in the middle is heated;

IMG_0763-vi.jpg

When we made our way back up to our room we found all three boys were still asleep;

CarnivalLiberty2011079-vi.jpg

We rousted the boys out of bed and to the Hotel Savoy's restaurant for breakfast;

IMG_0766-vi.jpg

I don't recall the name of what we ordered, but basically it amounted to a little bit of everything;

CarnivalLiberty2011083-vi.jpg

The breakfast of champions! Also referred to as job security breakfast in my line of work.....

CarnivalLiberty2011084-vi.jpg

Britt deviated from the rest of us and ordered French Toast;

IMG_0768-vi.jpg

What does a sixteen year old do after a hearty breakfast at a SOBE hotel?

CarnivalLiberty2011085-vi.jpg

Karen and I left the two teens to lounge in the room while Britt went with us to the beach;

CarnivalLiberty2011091-vi.jpg

The Hotel Savoy has a couple of drawbacks; the hallways in one of the buildings are a bit musty smelling and the hallway carpets are a bit tattered, but the rooms were neat, clean, and of ample size. The only other drawback is that it's not as cheap as Priceline rooms, but that drawback is easily outweighed by location location location! The hotel's amenities also speak for themselves;

CarnivalLiberty2011092-vi.jpg

Britt checking out the water temp of the non heated pool;

CarnivalLiberty2011093-vi.jpg

Suffices to say he likes the heated pool better for early mornings;

CarnivalLiberty2011095-vi.jpg

A quick check of the exercise offerings;

CarnivalLiberty2011099-vi.jpg

Hotel Savoy has two elevated lounging areas between the pool area and the beach. It's hard to get a pic of them that shows everything;

CarnivalLiberty2011106-vi.jpg

Britt had to take a dip in the heated pool;

CarnivalLiberty2011112-vi.jpg

Great review Paul! I look forward to your family cruise every year just for the review! :D I am sailing the Liberty next year....all girls cruise! The hotel you stayed in is gorgeous!!! It looks expensive....do you mind me asking what you paid?

Nevermind...this posted after your last set of pictures and description of the hotel.....I will check it out online myself.

The beach access from Hotel Savoy is directly in front and is .....well just see for yourself;

CarnivalLiberty2011114-vi.jpg

'Now this is nice!' (Can you read lips in still photos?)

CarnivalLiberty2011115-vi.jpg

View to the South towards Government Cut;

CarnivalLiberty2011116-vi.jpg

View East towards our loungers which are included with a stay at Hotel Savoy;

CarnivalLiberty2011117-vi.jpg

They also provide a beach play area for kids with various sand toys and umbrellas;

CarnivalLiberty2011118-vi.jpg

Britt getting lotioned up by our lounge chairs;

CarnivalLiberty2011120-vi.jpg

Great review Paul! I look forward to your family cruise every year just for the review! I am sailing the Liberty next year....all girls cruise! The hotel you stayed in is gorgeous!!! It looks expensive....do you mind me asking what you paid?

Nevermind...this posted after your last set of pictures and description of the hotel.....I will check it out online myself.

Gail,

Thank you.

Hotel Savoy is where we'll be staying from now on! The price was $238 per night and then a 25% discount via an email from Savoy sealed the deal. It's worth every penny. They have cheaper rooms, but I prefer ocean view and it's their most expensive. Be sure and check out my post cruise pics of our other room too; it was HUGE! I booked it online while on the cruise and used a AAA discount for a price ~$275. Not bad for the night before Easter.

Now this is sooo much better than sitting @ home watching it snow;

IMG_0770-vi.jpg

What could make it better? A Cold Margaritta (sp?) served on the beach;

CarnivalLiberty2011128-vi.jpg

I uploaded the photo below directly to FaceBook from my iPhone. Do you think my friends were happy?

IMG_0774-vi.jpg

We spent the entire day lounging on the beach drinking cool drinks and playing in the surf;

CarnivalLiberty2011243-vi.jpg

Around four we headed back to the hotel and took a quick dip to clean the sand off;

CarnivalLiberty2011255-vi.jpg

We used the 'boardwalk' to travel from our hotel down to Government Cut for sailaway;

CarnivalLiberty2011142-vi.jpg

The 'boardwalk' ends North of the area where our hotel is and becomes a brick road instead;

CarnivalLiberty2011144-vi.jpg

I can't share some of the sights you'll see in that area, but I will share the reactions to those sights;

CarnivalLiberty2011145-vi.jpg

I don't know how many times we've made the walk down the beach to Government Cut over the years, but it's always very relaxing. Another nice feature of staying at Hotel Savoy is that the walk is a LOT shorter;

CarnivalLiberty2011146-vi.jpg

Teens tend to get distracted from time to time and have to catch up;

CarnivalLiberty2011148-vi.jpg

On our last visit with the boys to Miami, this entire area was still under construction;

CarnivalLiberty2011150-vi.jpg

Bryson said 'they put benches in the most perfect places.'

CarnivalLiberty2011152-vi.jpg

Sitting by Government Cut waiting for sailaway;

CarnivalLiberty2011155-vi.jpg

'I want to ride a jetski next time.' Again words from still pictures....

CarnivalLiberty2011156-vi.jpg

Bryson of course has to text what he's doing at all times;

IMG_0777-vi.jpg

Everyone has to upload pics to Facebook and post comments about what they're doing and where they're doing it;

CarnivalLiberty2011163-vi.jpg

At least three of them paused long enough to enjoy the view;

CarnivalLiberty2011165-vi.jpg

Now that's a nice aft. Perhaps not the best, but an aft always turns heads;

CarnivalLiberty2011170-vi.jpg

Archived