Why is it always the Shore Excursions...?

Bruin Steve

We put together a small group on an TA that stopped there.

After the mosque tour and drive around town we stopped at a shopping stop. One of our couples insisted that we get to Rick's---

It was terrific. Its only (now) 7 years old, they make no secret of the fact its a copy. For any Bogart or Casablanca fans it's a blast.

Dolphinmar,

AS I understand it once you book and prepay an excursion prior to sailing you will not be credited back that amount onboard. Someone correct me if I am wrong please. That is one of the reasons I never have and never will book an Oceania excursion. I am going on the Regatta to Alaska next week and every single excursion I booked there is private.

As for Casablanca, imo, and this is just my opinion the Mosque is the only thing worth seeing there. The rest of the city is charmless. And be sure to skip Rick's cafe, a Disney reproduction of the movie's setting. The real Rick's Cafe was on a stage at Warner Brothers.

Last year we canceled a pre-paid excursion on our South American cruise after we had boarded. In fact it was at the suggestion of one of the destination services employees after we talked when more of the details became clear. He realized we would not be happy with it. He did NOT try to sell us another one either and said before we could ask that our account would be credited. I do have to say this was a surprise as we have had several unpleasent experiences on previous cruises and thought we might have to "discuss"a bit.

We will be arriving in Casablanca at 3:00 PM and leaving at 11:00 PM. What kind of excursions will be available for us arriving that late?

It's not very likely (although possible) that the Hassan II mosque will be open to visitors that late. Without it there is not much to do there.

Consider a trip to Fes and its famous souk, although it might be tight. See what tours the ship will offer as a guide.

We will be arriving in Casablanca at 3:00 PM and leaving at 11:00 PM. What kind of excursions will be available for us arriving that late?

Those are some of the worst port hours one could imagine...

I've seen ships doing repositioning West Coast cruises or Hawaii cruises scheduled to stop in Ensenada from 10:00 pm to 11:00 pm...of course, we know that nobody gets off the ship--it's just to satisfy the Jones Act (or whatever it's really called)...

Same with some Alaska round trips out of Seattle...which tend to stop for a very short couple of hours in Victoria...not really enough time to see anything...

I guess your cruise, this was the only thing they could squeeze into the timing of the itinerary...

But, I would imagine if you really wanted to go have a nice Moroccan feast, that would be the use of the time...

What I'd suggest is contacting some local tour guides and ask what THEY might recommend...

Consider a trip to Fes and its famous souk, although it might be tight. See what tours the ship will offer as a guide.

Considering that it will be dark not long after we arrive, we will definitely stick with a ship excursion. I am sure choices will be limited. How long do the souk's stay open?

It is very disappointing to arrive so late in day.

In Lanzarote, Spain, we will only have 5 hours (8 AM to 1 PM) Another port where it would be wise to stick with the ship's excursions.

Considering that it will be dark not long after we arrive, we will definitely stick with a ship excursion. I am sure choices will be limited. How long do the souk's stay open?

I don't have the answer to this question but a local guide would. May be smart to stay with the ship's tours in this case.

Steve we also did a private tour but the guide was determined that we shop ( I am sure he got a cut) and insisted on stopping several places..although in one place I bought a beautiful purse, I felt it was a waste of precious time. Warn your guide before you get in the van not to stop at several places to shop.

Jancruz1

Ahhhh...But our cruise only stays until 4:00 pm (arriving at 9 am)...even though the next day is "at sea" and they aren't scheduled into Barcelona until the morning after that...at 7 am...

I sort of wish they'd stay a little later...but, alas...

So, we are going to schedule an abbreviated six hour tour--9 to 3...and, obviously, staying in Casablanca...

Having never been there before, we will somehow make the most of it...

We will enjoy the company of our tour mates...and the opportunity to experience a different culture and history...

Twice on private excursions guides have insisted that we stop to shop and waste our time. When they refused to give up the stop at the shop I said fine but any money I spend at these stores will be instead of your tip. Both times we skipped the stores.

Archived