Southern Caribbean

deevmo

Not sure which board to ask this question since the caribbean port boards are listed by each individual port.

We are trying to plan a Southern Caribbean cruise, but I'm not sure which month is the best to go. Does anyone have input on that? I know hurricane season is June - Nov., so how is it there in December?

Thanks!

Deedee

Summer will be really, really HOT and humid...REALLY! But, the S.Caribbean is pretty much the same temps any time of years...it's the humidity that gets you! The very southern parts don't seem to get the hurricanes that the more temperate areas get (around Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands, etc...) Most storms tend to veer northward.

Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao in the Southern Caribbean are about the least likely islands to be hit by a hurricane. It happens but less common than other parts of the Caribbean.

They are fabulous islands and we've always had wonderful weather there. Hot and more humid in summer than winter.

Thanks for all the responses.

We are looking at the Carnival Victory cruise. It starts in San Juan and goes to St. Thomas, Bridgetown Barbados, Castries Saint Lucia, Basseterre St. Kitts, St. Maarten Netherlands and back to Puerto Rico.

Is the water a comfortable temperature to swim in both April and December?

Thanks again!

We have cruised the Caribbean 7 of the past 10 Septembers and have yet to have a problem with a hurricane. Bad weather can occur 12 out of 12 months so I say why worry about it....go when you want and simply enjoy your vacation.

Yep! We were just in Southern caribbean the first week in April and it was great. I do snorkel with a rash guard (probably not the correct term) that is about- 3 mil - I believe to be warmer and keep the sun off and I always wear it BUT december and April are great snorkeling! Donna

My DH and I did a Southern Caribbean cruise this past Jan. out of San Juan. We visited several of the same ports you mention. The weather could not have been more perfect, mid - high 80's...sunny, and snorkeling was FANTASTIC. We snorkeled in Barbados, St. Kitts and Tortola. The water was great all 3 islands.

Just back from Southern Caribbean cruise and one island (Grenada) said they weren't going to have anymore cruise ships in for the rest of the summer because it's way too hot during the summer months so I would guess spring, fall, or winter would be best.

Sharon I

We just did the S. cAribbean the first week of April and seas were as smooth as glass the ENTIRE cruise........but of course the answer is you just never know.

Archived