Passport help.

luvhubandbabys

Are passports required for kids on a 4 day cruise?

Also where can you get passport photos taken? Ive read the requirements online and Ugh Id rather have someone else do it....lol...

If I get a passport of my now 1 yr old how long will that be valid as babies do change as they get older?

I am looking at the passport website and do I need both a passport book and card. Or if only one, which one?

Sorry for the dumb questions this is all foreign to me.

If you are visiting a foreign port then yes a passport will be needed. The length of the cruise doesn't matter.

You can get pictures made at CVS, AAA office, or most any other pharmacy or photo shop.

I think passport for children are good for 5 years. It is definitely not the 10 years that adults are valid for.

You only need to get one of them. I would get the passport. While it may be more expensive it allows you to travel to more places than just the card.

If you are on a closed loop cruise (leaves and returns to the same US port) you currently do not need a passport for the cruise, though I would never travel outside of the US without one.

You can have passport photos taken at many places; Costco, AAA, any photography studio, etc. You won't be able to take them yourself. Children's passports are good only for five years. You would want to get the book; the card is really designed for people who do frequent border crossings into Canada or Mexico. You can't use a passport card to board a plane into or out of the country so for most people, IMO, they are just a waste.

Are passports required for kids on a 4 day cruise? NO. On a closed loop cruise (starting and ending in the same US port) a US Citizen is only required to have a Certified Birth Certificate (from the state of their births Dept of Vital Statistics) and a Government Issued Photo ID if they are 16 or older. No one in my family has passports and we have sailed to foreign ports multiple times without issues on closed loop cruises.

Also where can you get passport photos taken? Ive read the requirements online and Ugh Id rather have someone else do it....lol... Walgreens

If I get a passport of my now 1 yr old how long will that be valid as babies do change as they get older? 5 Years

I am looking at the passport website and do I need both a passport book and card. Or if only one, which one? On a cruise a passport card would be just like sailing with a Birth Certificate and Gov't issued photo ID (for those 16 or older) because you still couldn't fly home with a passport card. If you were going to get one for the cruise instead of using a Birth Certificate, I would suggest getting the Passport Book.

Some people on these boards give out incorrect information and will tell you it is required when it is NOT. Many people on these boards will say it is better to be safe than sorry and to get a passport. It depends on your comfort level. IMHO it is not worth the money if you are only planning on doing closed-loop cruises. You are only in a foriegn port for a few hours. The chances of something happening in that port that you would need to fly home (the only reason you would need a passport) is extremely slim. If by chance something did happen, the US Embassy can get you emergency passports and they will get you home...you will not be stuck in a foreign country.

It matters not the length cruise but WHERE you are going! Go out of country and you need a passport.

Are passports required for kids on a 4 day cruise?

Also where can you get passport photos taken? Ive read the requirements online and Ugh Id rather have someone else do it....lol...

If I get a passport of my now 1 yr old how long will that be valid as babies do change as they get older?

I am looking at the passport website and do I need both a passport book and card. Or if only one, which one?

No you do not on a closed loop cruise.

The closed loop cruise only counts if you are visiting these locations. I copied this from the following website if anyone would like to view it themselves.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/inspections_carriers_facilities/closed_loop_faq.xml

Q: What does contiguous territories or adjacent islands mean?

A: Contiguous Territories are any country sharing a common boundary with the United States. Canada and Mexico are contiguous to the United States.

Adjacent Islands as follows: Anguilla, Antigua, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Barbuda, Bermuda, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, the Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Jamaica, Marie-Galantine, Martinique, Miquelon, Montserrat, Saba, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Christopher, Saint Eustatius, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Maarten, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre, Saint Vincent and Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, and other British, French and Netherlands territory or possessions bordering on the Caribbean Sea.

I would say there are only a few cruises that go round trip from a home port in the USA that would cause a problem, but it is still best to have a passport when traveling overseas. If you are going to spend the money to get a passport card why not spend the money to get a regular passport? That way if you decide to go someplace other than the islands, Mexico or Canada you will already have a passport and won't have to through the hassle of the paperwork again.

Some people on these boards give out incorrect information and will tell you it is required when it is NOT.

Go out of country and you need a passport.

Exhibit A ;)

Warm Breezes and 6rugrats is correct. Choose to do what you want with the information. :)

The closed loop cruise only counts if you are visiting these locations.

Bahamas

Luckily, the OP is on the Disney Dream (if they haven't changed the cruise they have booked in their posting history) so their itinerary is:

Port Canaveral, Florida - Nassau, Bahamas - Castaway Cay - At Sea - Port Canaveral, Florida

If something happened, they could swim from the Bahamas its so close ;)

Here is my scenario. Husband and I both have passports and are both U.S. citizens. Getting the little one a passport card because it is cheaper and it is unlikely we will travel anywhere by air that requires a passport in the next five years. We only go on Caribbean cruises at this point and in the unfortunate event we miss the ship in a port and need to fly somewhere I will rely on the embassy to assist me. The data they collect for the passport card and passport book are the same, so they would already have my child's information in their database.

I think it is a good idea to get a passport or passport card, depending on your individual needs. I'm surprised they let children on ships without a passport or passport card. I think they still allow a birth certificate only.

If you decide to get either form of identification, I suggest visiting the department of state website to get accurate information. You can fill out the paperwork online and print it out ahead of time which is nice since it is neatly typed.

Also, if you have a different last name than your child, check with the appropriate agencies/people to find out exactly what you need to get your child on the ship etc.

I wouldn't leave the country with my children without a passport.

Yes, this is why our baby has a passport. Just because we can cross the border with just her birth certificate doesn't mean we want to be outside the US without a passport for her. In an emergency I want to be able to just get on a plane and go home without having to go through the hassle of finding a US consulate, getting an emergency passport (which doesn't come cheap), etc.

Passport cards are really meant for residents living close to the border who use land crossings often, because it's easier to tuck the passport card in a wallet versus carrying a passport book or a birth certificate (which would get beat up quickly and is more easily lost). It's just as much work to get a passport card for a minor, so unless we lived close to the border I would just get the book since it has greater overall utility. They're cheaper than a passport book, though.

Getting a passport for our 9.5 month old was super easy. DH took her to AAA for passport photos and we went to the post office with her birth certificate to apply. Other than both parents having to be there it was no different from applying for our own passports.

That said, on a closed-loop cruise on the OP's itinerary it is not required. It's a parental decision.

The closed loop cruise only counts if you are visiting these locations. I copied this from the following website if anyone would like to view it themselves.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/inspections_carriers_facilities/closed_loop_faq.xml.

Cruisealot, you copied a section of the ICE rules used to inspect FOREIGN nationals who re-enter the US from a closed loop cruise. In that limited case, the countries you listed apply. However, for US CITIZENS, the closed loop rules apply to the ENTIRE WESTERN HEMISPHERE.

When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services before entering the United States; if the U.S. citizen is under the age of 16, he or she may present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

From http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=75624d3d2daa1b0fd7c038c076c0fd6e;rgn=div2;view=text;node=20080403%3A1.24;idno=22;cc=ecfr;start=1;size=25

Just to address something that hasn't been mentioned above, children's passports are good for 5 years, and, yes, it's the same photo from infancy through that 5 years, if that's when it's taken. Yes, that's kind of weird. But we lived overseas when I was a kid, and my mom came back to the States for the birth of my brother. He got a passport, and for the next 5 years, it was literally a picture of a newborn infant. There used to be a pocket where you could put newer photos, but you didn't have to. I'm not sure if that pocket style is still around (we're talking 30 years ago). I do know you only have to get one picture taken, even though that picture will likely no longer resemble your child in short order.

You can get pics at Walmart, Kmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, etc., and some post offices - check the state department passport website for passport issuance sites, there's an option to look for sites that have an on-site photographer.

The reason for getting a passport is in case you need to fly back in an emergency (must have a passport to enter US by air). Passport card doesn't work for that, so it's a waste of money unless you live near the northern or southern borders.

If you decide to use only the BC for the cruise make sure it is the official government BC. They will not take a hospital record.

I look at having a passport as insurance. If you miss the ship your passports will be pulled out of the safe and given to the officials at the dock. Real easy to arrange transportation and hotel til you can catch up with the ship. Without the passport you might be stuck in the country a few days while things get processed.

Got our eldest daughter a passport for her 1st cruise when she was 2 1/2. Did not get one for our youngest when she cruised at 7 months and 1 1/2. After realizing we didn't really need it for any legal reason we decided not to get it for the baby. Also don't know about where you live, but we had our pictures and passports all done at our local post office.

Here is my scenario. Husband and I both have passports and are both U.S. citizens. Getting the little one a passport card because it is cheaper and it is unlikely we will travel anywhere by air that requires a passport in the next five years. We only go on Caribbean cruises at this point and in the unfortunate event we miss the ship in a port and need to fly somewhere I will rely on the embassy to assist me. The data they collect for the passport card and passport book are the same, so they would already have my child's information in their database.

I think it is a good idea to get a passport or passport card, depending on your individual needs. I'm surprised they let children on ships without a passport or passport card. I think they still allow a birth certificate only.

If you decide to get either form of identification, I suggest visiting the department of state website to get accurate information. You can fill out the paperwork online and print it out ahead of time which is nice since it is neatly typed.

Also, if you have a different last name than your child, check with the appropriate agencies/people to find out exactly what you need to get your child on the ship etc.

Why would you get your child a Passport CARD if that child doesn't travel frequently between the US/Mexico or US/Canada?? By VEHICLE. And, NO. Your child will NOT be allowed on a non-closed loop cruise with a Passport Card!! Do you know the difference between a Passport Card and Book? No offense, but it doesn't sound like you do.

You can use a passport card if you are visiting Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda. They are cheaper than the real thing but in my view it makes sense to just get the passport. It only lasts 5 years for kids but you will both have to be present to obtain the passport or passport card. My feeling is just get the real one. Who knows you might decide to do a Transatlantic or something like that in the future.

The passport card was really meant for people driving across the border to Mexico or Canada. This is not good for air travel at all- so this is why I don't see the point. If for example your child is in Alaska and airlifted to Vancouver... then it might be problematic with just the passport card. So I'd just get a regular passport and be done with it.

Why would you get your child a Passport CARD if that child doesn't travel frequently between the US/Mexico or US/Canada?? By VEHICLE. And, NO. Your child will NOT be allowed on a non-closed loop cruise with a Passport Card!! Do you know the difference between a Passport Card and Book? No offense, but it doesn't sound like you do.

I love when people insult others on this board then add the caveat, 'no offense'. I do understand the difference between the two because I read about each on the U.S. Dept of State website. I never said I was planning on using it for a non closed loop cruise. It is also valid for entering the U.S. from Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean and Bermuda at sea ports of entry.

Anyone want to fight about carseats now?

Agree with the above post. There is no reason to be insulting. In fact, I question sometimes why people even enter this site if they aren't traveling with kids or have recently traveled with kids.

I have traveled with kids for the past 23 years and have completed 22 cruises with my two sons. So I come here to help because I can relate to what people are going through.

The chances of something happening in that port that you would need to fly home (the only reason you would need a passport) is extremely slim. If by chance something did happen, the US Embassy can get you emergency passports and they will get you home...you will not be stuck in a foreign country.

All true, but it is also true that if your child is in an accident and needs to be evacuated, they could be very well going back to the U.S. without you (well that is unless you also neglected to purchase medical evacuation insurance), while you are waiting on the embassy to figure things out.

Yes, it is a slim chance anything would happen - but it does happen. There is one type of low probability risk I insure against - low probability but high cost. And sick/injured child in a foreign port falls into that category for me.

Personally, I would not want to be the parent asking the embassy to solve a problem I could have easily prevented for around $100. On top of feeling like a horrible mom, I would be really really embarrassed.

If you decide to use only the BC for the cruise make sure it is the official government BC. They will not take a hospital record.

I look at having a passport as insurance. If you miss the ship your passports will be pulled out of the safe and given to the officials at the dock. Real easy to arrange transportation and hotel til you can catch up with the ship. Without the passport you might be stuck in the country a few days while things get processed.

Is that true? I wouldn't think the cruise line would do that for liability reasons.

FWIW, we've got passports for the babies and I wish I had gotten the cards also for another $15. At 19MO we are now getting challenged on age occasionally when the "kids eat free" is only to age 2. Rather than carry around photo copies of the BCs on a daily basis, I'd prefer to have the ID cards in my wallet. Not worth $40/each to do it after the fact, but only $15 to add it on. Just my 2 cents...

If you miss the ship your passports will be pulled out of the safe and given to the officials at the dock. Real easy to arrange transportation and hotel til you can catch up with the ship.

Is that true? I wouldn't think the cruise line would do that for liability reasons.

Yes, it is true. If they have time, your passports will be removed from the safe and given to the port officials.

Since we're talking about extreme situations, I'll just share one story.

There was a bus accident in the U.K. carrying American college students awhile back. One death and a lot of injuries. Turns out many of their parents didn't have passports and wanted to go see their children in the hospital.

The U.S. Embassy actually sent down personal who stood behind U.K. immigration officials at the airport and told them "Yes, that's a valid driver's license..." and let these parents in, without even a passport.

Trust me, in an extreme situation, the authorities WILL manage some way of getting your family members to where they have to go.

If you have any family members living outside the country, I strongly urge you to get a full passport. I've had to run down to the airport on a family emergency and it aint fun but it was a lot easier with a passport in hand!

So your family situation might better help you decide which document to get.

Archived