PACIFIC SUN, is it now just too old?

I am I alone in thinking that with the influx of newer and more innovative ships now coming into our waters it is time to scupper the 28 year old ship?

There is evidence that shows that P&O are close to doing this, they have tried running cruises from Newcastle, New Zealand and now over in WA we are being offered cruises up and down the coast and over to Asia.

They are running out of Ports to sail from.

On a different ship these itineraries fron Fremantle would be very desirable.

I have no doubt that these cruises will be well patronised as we have not much else in the way of choice.

I would hate to think that these new cruisers will be put off doing it again if they think that cruising "Pacific Sun" style was the standard.

Just wondered.

Paul

I am I alone in thinking that with the influx of newer and more innovative ships now coming into our waters it is time to scupper the 28 year old ship?

There is evidence that shows that P&O are close to doing this, they have tried running cruises from Newcastle, New Zealand and now over in WA we are being offered cruises up and down the coast and over to Asia.

They are running out of Ports to sail from.

On a different ship these itineraries fron Fremantle would be very desirable.

I have no doubt that these cruises will be well patronised as we have not much else in the way of choice.

I would hate to think that these new cruisers will be put off doing it again if they think that cruising "Pacific Sun" style was the standard.

Just wondered.

Paul

Yes there is alot of evidence and all so a lot of chat

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1402419

Hi Sludger.. interesting thread!

I wouldn't be surprised if she left the P&O fleet sometime soon, but she is only 25 years old, so she will probably go on to have a further career somewhere else. Both the previous ships that left the P&O fleet are still sailing around for other lines.

The first cruise I went on was on a ship that was 41 years old at the time. (Fair Princess - she has since been scrapped)

Pacific Sun is my least favourite ship of the ships sailing from Australia, but still I've been on her 5 times..she's comfortable, but she does look ugly painted all white. (And some of her ex-Carnival interiors, like her showlounge, are atrocious :D) But she is quite a popular ship, a lot of people enjoy cruising on her. I guess because she's comfortable and relaxed. But the other 3 ships in the fleet are superior to her, that's for sure.

I'd say that roughly half the cruise ships in the world are around the same age as Pacific Sun or older. Holland America, P&O UK (until recently), Costa and several other lines all have ships in their fleet older than Pacific Sun.

There are advantages to the older ships- they tend to have larger cabins, and were designed to be comfortable not revenue-intensive. The emphasis was on being at sea, not facing into a shopping mall.

To me a ships age isn't a negative thing at all. I'd rather go on some of the older ships with a bit of history and character than some of these sterile floating Boxes of the Seas. (although there are some new ships that are damn nice!)

But a lot has changed since Sun was built in 1986 - when she was launched she was the 5th largest cruise ship in the world.:eek:

I think you're right, since a lot of people do assume newer is best, P&O will be keen to compete and I certainly agree that you can't really compare Sun with the likes of Radiance of the Seas. So I'd say that she will be replaced - the Future Cruise Director on our recent Pearl cruise made a comment along those lines, saying she would probably be replaced at some point in the future. (I suspect sooner rather than later ;))

A lot has changed since Sun was built in 1986 - when she was launched she was the 5th largest cruise ship in the world.:eek:

Yes there is alot of evidence and all so a lot of chat

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1402419

I saw that thread previously but it turned into a conversation about talking horses.

Seriously though I don't think it will be too long before it will have to be replaced, at peak times this ship is just horrendously overcrowded. It has the lowest weight to passenger ratio that I know of at 24:1.

A lot of cruisers also want balcony cabins although a lot of the posters mention that they don't spend too much time in their cabins.

We spend quite a lot of time in the cabin when we cruise, either sitting on the balcony reading etc, or having a nan-nap preparing ourselves for the evening so a balcony is important for us.

I know the tirade may start from the P&O gang but I think that the fantastic crew on the Pacific sun deserve better also, it must be preferable for them to be on a nicer, newer ship.

I see they have the Sun cruising until March 2013, surely they are being extremely hopeful there.

You may have noticed I've been really good so far and I haven't mentioned plumbing or the amount of kids on this ship once, I decided not to mention them.

Paul

My opinion on this is that I really think that Pacific Sun's time here is coming to an end and I would be surprised to see her here much beyond 2012.

However, I don't see her being 'scuppered' lol, (as Sludger suggested) or even broken up. I think she will be onsold for further use as Riffraff mentioned like her two immediate predecessors. There are a couple of reasons I think this, firstly at 25 years old she is not yet too old to be considered at the end of her economic life, her sister and near sister ship Grand Holiday & Grand Celebration are still in service and with the large number of older ships lost to cruising last year through not being SOLAS 2010 compliant one of these smaller companies may be able to make use of her as a replacement for their lost tonnage.

I don't think she pretends to be anything more than she is (an older 3 star ship) and I think she offers a good enough experience not to frighten first timers away. On the contrary, I think she would whet their appetite for cruising and actually encourage people to try something newer and different.

For those who like her and enjoy her fun and informal atmosphere I think the plus side of this is that there are some bargains to be had in the interim. We are already seeing this. For those who don't like her..... well you are not likely to be tempted by these cheap prices anyway so it shouldn't bother you. :)

I don't think she pretends to be anything more than she is (an older 3 star ship)

For those who don't like her..... well you are not likely to be tempted by these cheap prices anyway so it shouldn't bother you. :)

Whilst agreeing with most of your comments I actually think the ship is promoted by P&O and travel agents as more.

I regularly see references to "4 star luxury Pacific Sun" cruises.

I think this will give people the wrong impression.

it certainly did with our group, who were all seasoned cruisers.

When we sailed on her, on the first "FORMAL" night we dressed up in our tuxes and the ladies were in their best dresses and there were people being served in the main dining room in shorts and sandals! We certainly didn't bother dressing up again.

With the bargain prices, they are only charging the right price now for what they are providing, basically a trip on a fun boat.

Paul

I know the tirade may start from the P&O gang but I think that the fantastic crew on the Pacific sun deserve better also, it must be preferable for them to be on a nicer, newer ship.

Paul

Sludger, this is a serious question and I would love an honest answer. I'm really curious (yep, I know it killed the cat :D but I'm willing to take the risk) to know why you always feel the need to introduce comments similar to these when commenting on the Pacific Sun and P&O. Is it that you find entertainment in trying to stir up disharmony on these boards? :confused: Just because some are quite happy with their P&O experiences doesn't mean they are unwilling to try other ships, you know. You are in danger of losing any credibility you have by continually having a dig at the P&O board........ although I get the feeling you like to be controversial. :rolleyes:

I wish you'd hurry up and find a great cruise on a wonderful 5 star ship and come back and write a happy review for all of us to enjoy. Fingers crossed for you. :)

Sludger, this is a serious question and I would love an honest answer. I'm really curious (yep, I know it killed the cat :D but I'm willing to take the risk) to know why you always feel the need to introduce comments similar to these when commenting on the Pacific Sun and P&O. Is it that you find entertainment in trying to stir up disharmony on these boards? :confused: Just because some are quite happy with their P&O experiences doesn't mean they are unwilling to try other ships, you know. You are in danger of losing any credibility you have by continually having a dig at the P&O board........ although I get the feeling you like to be controversial. :rolleyes:

I wish you'd hurry up and find a great cruise on a wonderful 5 star ship and come back and write a happy review for all of us to enjoy. Fingers crossed for you. :)

Sandielle, I really haven't got a clue what the reference to the cat is but why should I not be able to introduce any comment I like.

I do not feel any need to explain to you why I mention things that I choose to and whether anything provides me with entertainment.

What disharmony are you talking about? The site is called CRUISE CRITIC. We are allowed (as far as I know) to give good and bad criticisms of all cruise lines, though obviously not P&O Australia.

You say I am in danger of losing any credibility that I have, are you suggesting that in your opinion I have little? pray tell.

Having said that I care not what people may say, all I am interested in is bringing things to people's notice and hopefully one day we will get value for money cruising in Australia

If it offends you so why did you post on here? Just do yourself a big favour and IGNORE IT.

I really don't think you do yourself any favours by continually berating me on here, I feel a bit dismayed that you have nothing better to do.

To save me searching can you suggest which 5 star cruise ship that you have been on that you may like to suggest for me?

Paul

Having said that I care not what people may say, all I am interested in is bringing things to people's notice and hopefully one day we will get value for money cruising in Australia

A lower price for a lower level is comparable value for money to higher price for a higher service level. Pacific Sun has the lowest prices overall for cruises so is comparable, thus trying to get rid of Sun is just suggesting that one section of the market should not get the value they are looking for.

I've said before that I wouldn't be surprised for Pacific Sun to depart these waters, but that's only likely when it doesn't become as profitable as the others. As competition increases that day does come closer if it doesn't continue to fulfil the value niche it currently has.

Around March 2012 The Pacific Sun Will be replaced by a Costa cruise ship a 1996-1997 model. which could be the Costa Victoria may be.

I saw that thread previously but it turned into a conversation about talking horses.

Seriously though I don't think it will be too long before it will have to be replaced, at peak times this ship is just horrendously overcrowded. It has the lowest weight to passenger ratio that I know of at 24:1.

A lot of cruisers also want balcony cabins although a lot of the posters mention that they don't spend too much time in their cabins.

We spend quite a lot of time in the cabin when we cruise, either sitting on the balcony reading etc, or having a nan-nap preparing ourselves for the evening so a balcony is important for us.

I see they have the Sun cruising until March 2013, surely they are being extremely hopeful there.

You may have noticed I've been really good so far and I haven't mentioned plumbing or the amount of kids on this ship once, I decided not to mention them.

Paul

Im am suprized that the mods have not takin the horse comment off, as they do not have anything to with thread/post Pacific Sun.

as full the rest of what you have said go for it, as you said a couple of postes down the line (The site is called CRUISE CRITIC. We are allowed (as far as I know) to give good and bad criticisms of all cruise lines, though obviously not P&O Australia.)

Around March 2012 The Pacific Sun Will be replaced by a Costa cruise ship a 1996-1997 model. which could be the Costa Victoria may be.

Hi

If that is true it will be an improvement, but a quick look at the review page reveals not really a great write up for it.

But with 75000 tons and under 2000 passengers it should be quite roomy.

(I wonder how many extra people P&O can add ;))

Paul

The Pacific Sun might make a good dive wreck if it was sunk :D.

I would like that.:D They could put it right next to the HMAS Swan :)

All joking aside mate, they have sent it over here because they are losing business to other ships over east and now it's sailing out of Fremantle.

I would love to sail out of Fremantle but I have been on it once and never again. (unless it's on the FOS cruise;)).

I know a few people who have sailed on it, they wondered what all the fuss was about with cruising and they will be going back to Bali for their holidays.

Sludge

Well look at the positives Sludge me ol'mate.

At least there is something going out of Freo appart from the Rotto Ferry's and sheep :D.

And if they do decide to sink it..its only half a days steaming ta scuttle it at Dunsborough :)

Actually they probley will do o.k fill it full of drunks sail it to Bali and back.

Hi

If that is true it will be an improvement, but a quick look at the review page reveals not really a great write up for it.

But with 75000 tons and under 2000 passengers it should be quite roomy.

(I wonder how many extra people P&O can add ;))

Paul

they turned a 47000 ton 1486 passenger holiday class ship into a 196o passenger ship.

Just think of how many they get on a 76000 ton 1928 passenger Sky class cruise ship

Sludger, have you never heard the saying, "Curiosity killed the cat"? I thought you would get the joke! :D but I was wrong.

I'm sorry you are unable to answer my question as I really am interested in what makes you tick. It's obvious to most people here that you have a grudge against P&O and the Pacific Sun, which is perfectly OK, but it gets very boring when you keep introducing controversial remarks. I think we are very tired of being labelled all the time.

I do wish you'd find a great ship and cruise and come back and write a happy review. :) Or start your own thread solely for P&O bashing.

By the way, for your info, "critic" and "criticism" doesn't mean you HAVE to run everything down, it means to give an unbiased opinion of the pros and cons, and no fair-minded person complains when that is the case. I'm sure the mods of Cruise Critic will agree with me there.

I know I'm wasting my breath here - I'm sure you will keep doing whatever floats your boat - but just be happy eh? :) I'm sick of doom and gloom.

Come on Sandi, :( We dont kill cats with curiosity any more..they are a valued instrument for measuring passenger space ratio's...Golly Gosh :confused:

And Sludge did say he wanted to go on the Sun for a FOS and FOD cruise...It's all good :D

**This post by this member of Cruise Critic no way reflects the views of Cruise Critic or it’s Members. All information posted above should not be believed or tried at home or on any cruise line. Any similarities between real events is purely coincidental and his ramblings are pure fantasy and rubbish**

Sludger, have you never heard the saying, "Curiosity killed the cat"? I thought you would get the joke! :D but I was wrong.

I didn't get the joke because all of your posts are so glum and I wasn't expecting anything humorous.

As I said relax, go and have a little lay down and after that you can go back to the "I love P&O" thread and stop insulting other people.

I don't know why you mention the "mods" of Cruise Critic I don't see what on earth they have to do with it.

If you think these conversations on this thread are a bit too lively you should have a little scout around on the other forums.

Paul

they turned a 47000 ton 1486 passenger holiday class ship into a 196o passenger ship.

Just think of how many they get on a 76000 ton 1928 passenger Sky class cruise ship

I'm glad you said that and not me, because the P&O gang are now circling the wagons and I didn't want to put my head up again.

While we are back on the "Pacific Sun has it had it" topic one of the previous posters said that the showroom was lousy, I actually thought that was one of the good things about the Sun, that and the dining room.

It was really just the general old look, the overcrowding and the constant smell that was bad for me.

Sludge

I didn't get the joke because all of your posts are so glum and I wasn't expecting anything humorous.

People who know me better than you do don't think I'm glum. I've got a great sense of humour. I wish you had.

As I said relax, go and have a little lay down and after that you can go back to the "I love P&O" thread and stop insulting other people.

Excuse me, but I don't insult anybody. Take a look at what you said and see who is doing the insulting. (I say this without prejudice.)

If you think these conversations on this thread are a bit too lively you should have a little scout around on the other forums.

Paul

LOL, these posts of yours and mine are anything BUT lively! Just plain boring, in fact. Now I'm tired of this fruitless conversation, I'm off to see if there is anything interesting going on.

People who know me better than you do don't think I'm glum. I've got a great sense of humour. I wish you had.

Excuse me, but I don't insult anybody. Take a look at what you said and see who is doing the insulting. (I say this without prejudice.)

LOL, these posts of yours and mine are anything BUT lively! Just plain boring, in fact. Now I'm tired of this fruitless conversation, I'm off to see if there is anything interesting going on.

do you realy know how without prejudice works in the eyes of the law?

Archived