PACIFIC SUN, is it now just too old?

Whilst agreeing with most of your comments I actually think the ship is promoted by P&O and travel agents as more.

I regularly see references to "4 star luxury Pacific Sun" cruises.

I think this will give people the wrong impression.

it certainly did with our group, who were all seasoned cruisers.

When we sailed on her, on the first "FORMAL" night we dressed up in our tuxes and the ladies were in their best dresses and there were people being served in the main dining room in shorts and sandals! We certainly didn't bother dressing up again.

With the bargain prices, they are only charging the right price now for what they are providing, basically a trip on a fun boat.

Paul

This was the original post, they didn't have thongs on they were sandals

Sludge

Mate don't give the game away about us being the same person!

This is obviously a normal reaction from the P&O gang, if 2 people agree, they must be the same person.

Sludge

mmmmmmmmmmm i have heard that is true:D

Please people, can we end this endless pro/anti P&O garbage and just get on with enjoying these forums. :)

Its enough to put any prospective members from joining what is a great forum.

Its everybody's sandpit - please play nicely children. :D:p

Please people, can we end this endless pro/anti P&O garbage and just get on with enjoying these forums. :)

Its enough to put any prospective members from joining what is a great forum.

Its everybody's sandpit - please play nicely children. :D:p

That would be nice nif that ever happened, but while the members that think that cc's is there own privete forum it will never happen

Often asked, but sadly it doesn't end.

Some just seem to like to stir things up by making generalisations that there are 'camps' and thus turning the debate into that, instead of just letting the topic stand on its own merits.

To use your standard words.

Link please?

yes I can say that as, some of the things memeber post can not be posted as a scrourse or a link because of TA's and some of the info can not be linked to any one because thay can not be :rolleyes: but the mob all ways questions any one that does give info that the mob does not know about and all hell breaks loose :D

Oh God, I can just imagine. That's why I've never cruised from Brisbane on a P&O boat.

If I want to watch someone stuff food into their face, whilst they sit there dressed in shorts and thongs, I can go to the local shopping centre and check out the food-court.

I don't feel inclined to pay money for the privilege.

Whitemarsh, I cruised on Pacific Sun last September and honestly never saw anything like Sludger is saying. Sure it has a relaxed atmosphere, (it's certainly not Cunard, Silverseas or the Raj).

People ate in a civilized fashion, with polite dinner chat. Further, all the people I saw in the MDR were wearing nice clothing, nice pants and collared shirts for the men was the norm, the dress requirements were outlined quite clearly. On formal nights people did dress up more but mainly dark suits, I didn't see many Tuxes. If an individual does not want to dress for dinner they just go to the Buffet, it's totally up to them. We didn't seem to have yobbos on our cruise, Sludger obviously had bad luck on his.

yes i can say that as, some of the things memeber post can not be posted as a scrourse or a link because of ta's and some of the info can not be linked to any one because thay can not be :rolleyes: But the mob all ways questions any one that does give info that the mob does not know about and all hell breaks loose :d

what???????

what???????

i simple terms any one that posts some thing you and the mob do not know about, and posted by any member is a lie.

In an earlier post a cruiser has stated that they got a 10 night cruise for 4 for a total of $1200.

That's $120 a night for 4 people!

If they are offering those prices and still earning a profit it will probably be here for a long time.

At long last they are charging the right amount for this boat.

Paul

In an earlier post a cruiser has stated that they got a 10 night cruise for 4 for a total of $1200.

That's $120 a night for 4 people!

If they are offering those prices and still earning a profit it will probably be here for a long time.

At long last they are charging the right amount for this boat.

Paul

It was cheaper than what I paid for a 9 night cruise on the Fairstar for 1 person too :D:D:D.

Did you ever get to cruise on the Fairstar? The Faistar was a fantastic ship that was full of rust, lots of sewer problems, always breaking down. But did we care??? Nah, coz she had atmosphere and was FUN!!! That is how I see the Pacific Sun and she is in much better shape than the Fairstar ever was :).

BTW - She's a ship ;).

well you and scurvy dog both come from WA, so maybe you are the same person. In fact your first post on here was just to try and change the name of this board. Now you have your wish.

lol you lot need to worry less about what the W.A cruise scene is doing..which is not a lot :)

I can assure you me and Sludge are totally different people..Sludge has a dry sense of humour where mine just boarders on being just stupid :D..

The other thing I have been labeled as a P&O hater which is totally untrue as I have never been on a P&O ship as yet..(ask me after my trip in June and I may have a opinion)..I actually don't remember ever running P&O down unless you take my obvious frivalous ramblings at being the truth and if anyone does they need serious help..(a.k.a Kangaroo and koala's thread lol :) )

Yes it is true that I have stood up for Sludge..why you ask??

1. We all are entitled to our opinions.

2. Us Western Australians stick together.

3. I think its a laugh to watch how worked up people get over a post.

4. I like his humour.

5. He is good at Maths :)

Anyhow carry on you lot :D

I love the Sun as it was the first ship that I ever cruised on and it holds a dear place in my heart:o But that said I do agree it is old:( However, I would still cruise on it at the cheap prices that they are advertising now, but if the prices were similar to the other ships in Aus (which up until a little while ago, they were) I'd happily choose the Jewel over the Sun (Haven't been on the Dawn and will be on the Pearl in December:D)

From what I have read, some people enjoy the Pacific Sun, some don't, but all seem to agree it isn't a luxury ship as such, more a 3 star compared to a 4 star, which is what some of the Princess ships are.

Personally, I think that part of it is okay and I have noticed some prices for some cruises on the sun are pretty good. Not all. Depends on the timing.

But the thing to remember is that a lot of the general publci wouldn't have a clue as to what star rating each ship is or even how big a ship is etc

I know when I was planning our first cruise (for 3 couples) I looked up an online travel agent and the first thing I did was look up cruises in the time frame we needed. Then I looked up where they were going and where they left from.

Then I looked at how long they were cruising for and what the cost was per person.

We whittled it down to about 4 possibles Dawn Pricess, Sun Princess and 2 by Pacific Sun.

At that stage none of us had a clue that there was any real difference between ships, we assumed they would be much of a muchness.

Okay, we were a bunch of fools maybe, but I bet there are lots like us out there.

I eventually looked up info on the ships and told the others but no one really cared. We ended up booking Sun Princess and had a great time.

But it did colour our view of cruising.

It is all well and good to have smaller and older ship sailing but it should be made clear to customers just what they are getting. The star rating should be mentioned.

I see constant ads in the Herald Sun here for cruises. They show the little map itineraries and prices and dates but sometimes don't even mention what ship it is on.

The Pacific Sun is marketed so it seems the same as the others and I am not sure if that is 100% fair.

From what I have read, some people enjoy the Pacific Sun, some don't, but all seem to agree it isn't a luxury ship as such, more a 3 star compared to a 4 star, which is what some of the Princess ships are.

Personally, I think that part of it is okay and I have noticed some prices for some cruises on the sun are pretty good. Not all. Depends on the timing.

But the thing to remember is that a lot of the general publci wouldn't have a clue as to what star rating each ship is or even how big a ship is etc

I know when I was planning our first cruise (for 3 couples) I looked up an online travel agent and the first thing I did was look up cruises in the time frame we needed. Then I looked up where they were going and where they left from.

Then I looked at how long they were cruising for and what the cost was per person.

We whittled it down to about 4 possibles Dawn Pricess, Sun Princess and 2 by Pacific Sun.

At that stage none of us had a clue that there was any real difference between ships, we assumed they would be much of a muchness.

Okay, we were a bunch of fools maybe, but I bet there are lots like us out there.

I eventually looked up info on the ships and told the others but no one really cared. We ended up booking Sun Princess and had a great time.

But it did colour our view of cruising.

It is all well and good to have smaller and older ship sailing but it should be made clear to customers just what they are getting. The star rating should be mentioned.

I see constant ads in the Herald Sun here for cruises. They show the little map itineraries and prices and dates but sometimes don't even mention what ship it is on.

The Pacific Sun is marketed so it seems the same as the others and I am not sure if that is 100% fair.

Your post surprises me a little, I would have thought that most people would do a little research before choosing?...Maybe I'm wrong.

An non-cruise example of this would be a Sunday paper might advertise package trips including air to Bali or Fiji etc and then give you half a dozen different prices for different resorts for the same number of days at that location........ I thought that before deciding which package to choose it would be normal to research the accommodation places to make sure they are providing the level of amenity and inclusions you require to be satisfied with your holiday and not just choose on price alone. Otherwise you might find yourself dissatisfied.

I assumed the same logic would be applied to considering and booking a cruise.

Personally, I was under no illusions about the Pacific Sun when we cruised on her last year and I might say my expectations were surpassed by miles. I actually selected her based on this being an informal introduction to cruising for my first time cruiser companions as well as providing a great child friendly experience for my son. It worked all my party want to cruise again and are keen to try different ships next time.

I really don't think there is any excuse to find yourself on Pacific Sun by mistake:rolleyes:

Archived