Visiting Lisbon & Neighbors

pinksuit

We took a delightful half day journey from Lisbon to Cascais and then up to the mountain village of Sintra. Sintra is a charming spot with many interesting shops and twisty cobblestone streets.

There is a beautiful looking palace up a very steep hill, we were not able to visit it but, perhaps you will.

Cascais is an ocean resort town but, also fun to walk around especially the town Pastry shop, Portugal is known for their pastries don't miss them.

You can probably book the Cascais, Sintra and Lisbon Highlights tour through any of the Lisbon tour operators.

Have a great trip.

Jonathan

We will be on the Ocean Princess in Lisbon in about a week. We are taking an all day tour of Lisbon and the surrounding area, including Cascais and Sintra. The company website is http://spaindaytours.com/spain-shore-excursions.html

and they offer half and full day trips for the 2 of us the cost is 138 Euros, and there will be 6 of us.

We will be on the Ocean Princess in Lisbon in about a week. We are taking an all day tour of Lisbon and the surrounding area, including Cascais and Sintra. The company website is http://spaindaytours.com/spain-shore-excursions.html

and they offer half and full day trips for the 2 of us the cost is 138 Euros, and there will be 6 of us.

Thank you.....I am familiar with spaindaytours..... OOOOO wee. I'm getting more excited. Do share your experience upon your return.

Pinkie

Go to a bookstore and buy a guidebook. Best investment you will make. Then, ask advice in your hotel. they can tell you where to get which bus, and give you a basic map. EM

Yes, you are so right....just wanted to get some first-hand knowledge from previous travelers to that area.

Pinkie

We took a delightful half day journey from Lisbon to Cascais and then up to the mountain village of Sintra. Sintra is a charming spot with many interesting shops and twisty cobblestone streets.

There is a beautiful looking palace up a very steep hill, we were not able to visit it but, perhaps you will.

Cascais is an ocean resort town but, also fun to walk around especially the town Pastry shop, Portugal is known for their pastries don't miss them.

You can probably book the Cascais, Sintra and Lisbon Highlights tour through any of the Lisbon tour operators.

Have a great trip.

Jonathan

Jonathan, Thank you so much. We have heard so much about Cascais. Since we have planned to be in the area for 6 days, I am wondering should we say overnight or just do a day trip from Lisbon? Thoughts?

Pinkie

You are planning much better than I. I only planned for two nights pre-cruise in Lisbon and wish I had planned 6. Enjoy!

Taxguy, Believe me, this wasn't our first line of thought. We were scheduled to go to Venice/Tuscany for a week and then meet up with my group in Barcelona. However, the people we were scheduled to meet up with in Venice, cancelled on us last week....so we had a week open and was simply shooting for another place to visit. Seems like we have chosen well! We have seen and heard lovely things about Lisbon, but having so many CC resources, is simply wonderful

Thank you,

Pinkie

Jonathan, Thank you so much. We have heard so much about Cascais. Since we have planned to be in the area for 6 days, I am wondering should we say overnight or just do a day trip from Lisbon? Thoughts?

Pinkie

Your welcome Pinkie. Cascais is nice but, I don't think you need to make a special overnight. We spent about an hour there frankly it was just enough time to walk over to the Pastelaria (Pastry shop) enjoy some hot coffee and delicous danish then stroll the village and admire the wavy tile designs.

I don't think you need an overnight here but, it was certainly a memorable visit to a day that also included Sintra and Lisbon Highlights.

Wavy tiles on a colorful Cascais side street

IMG_0788-1.jpg

An outdoor bistro in Cascais

IMG_0789.jpg

My favorite part of Cascais the Village Pasterlaria Shop

IMG_0781.jpg

Have a great visit to Portugal.

Jonathan

Be sure to take a day trip to Sintra and Estoril. Lisbon is very walkable and there's a hop on/hop off bus that has several routes that makes everything easy.

I so agree. We had wonderful time in Sintra and Estoril, Cascais. We loved Portugal and included visits to Lisbon several different trips.

If you like fish, order grilled Sardines. They grill the whole fish (head and all) and it's amazing. Drink green wine. Go to Fado.... what an experience.

Enjoy.

Your welcome Pinkie. Cascais is nice but, I don't think you need to make a special overnight. We spent about an hour there frankly it was just enough time to walk over to the Pastelaria (Pastry shop) enjoy some hot coffee and delicous danish then stroll the village and admire the wavy tile designs.

I don't think you need an overnight here but, it was certainly a memorable visit to a day that also included Sintra and Lisbon Highlights.

Wavy tiles on a colorful Cascais side street

IMG_0788-1.jpg

An outdoor bistro in Cascais

IMG_0789.jpg

My favorite part of Cascais the Village Pasterlaria Shop

IMG_0781.jpg

Have a great visit to Portugal.

Jonathan

OOOOH, this makes me want to go right now! Great pictures, Jonathan

Thanks for the tip on the overnight. I will keep my lodging in tact.:p

Pinkie

I so agree. We had wonderful time in Sintra and Estoril, Cascais. We loved Portugal and included visits to Lisbon several different trips.

If you like fish, order grilled Sardines. They grill the whole fish (head and all) and it's amazing. Drink green wine. Go to Fado.... what an experience.

Enjoy.

OK on the fish....but pass on the wine. We are non-alcoholic consumers. Anymore recommendations for Restaurants.

Pinkie

The train services from Lisbon are cheap, easy to use and very efficient. There are 2 main stations: the one by the river serves places like Cascais and Estoril (45min coastal trip for approx 4Euros return) and places south of Lisbon. The central station serves places like Sintra (1hour city and countryside route for approx 8 Euros return ...prices remembered from2009).

Other places I would suggest are Obidos - a gorgeous walled town with delicious chocolate cups filled with a variety of things from coffee, alcohol and fruit, Fatima - the Christian shrine with the huge church and Coimbra - a pretty typical town. You could also go south to the Algarve coast. There are lots of pretty bays and towns.

If you google ‘trains in Portugal’ you get a lot of information

We love Portugal so hope you enjoy it too.

Archived