Kusadasi transportation to Ephesus. May 27 Equinox

DutchMom

Can anyone recommend transportation from Kusadasi to Ephesus? We are a party of 4 or 6 (depends if we can bring a wheelchair). Is there anyone who can recommend what to do? Is is possible to visit Ephesus with a wheelchair?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to meeting you all in a few days.

Can anyone recommend transportation from Kusadasi to Ephesus? We are a party of 4 or 6 (depends if we can bring a wheelchair). Is there anyone who can recommend what to do? Is is possible to visit Ephesus with a wheelchair?

If you were to repost your inquiry on the Roll Call for your specific sailing... Stop by to introduce yourself to some of your cruise mates and to learn what they've planned or are planning...

Here's the link...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1238325

I can't recommend a private tour operator as I took a Celebrity tour when I visited Ephesus in October 2009... But I will offer this...

• While Ephesus is not terribly far from the port of Kusadasi, nor is it around the corner either... And if you plan on visiting the site of Blessed Mary's dormition in addition to Ephesus [another popular tourist destination in the area], it's not right around the corner from the port or the ruins...
  • In my opinion, Ephesus would be impossible to negotiate with a wheelchair... You'll be following a long, rock strewn, crowded pathway--with lots of ruts and a very uneven surface [it's not paved]--downhill through the site [tourist traffic flows in just one direction]...

I thoroughly enjoyed touring from Kusadasi--amazing--but it's not accessible... Hope you get to visit...

You should be able to find a lot more information on the Ports of call section on this site. I used Ekol Travel (they have a website) three years ago to go to Ephesus and it was really reasonable, while others were being herded on the bus, my wife and I were picked up in a new Mecerdes SUV for the same price. You really need a guide to get the most out of the trip. There is a lot of walking and I do remember some of the walking as a bit rough and the Ekol site does not recommend the tour for individuals with handicaps but I am sure that there are others than can better answer your questions. One recommendation is that if you go pay the extra to see the Terrace houses. They are really incredible. Have a great trip.

Hi,

The ship docks almost in the town.

We just got off the ship and haggled for a price with a taxi driver. A comfortable ride in a beautiful air-conditioned minivan. As my son has a serious chest problem and research had told me the pathes where rough we started at the 'Top' and walked down to the 'Bottom' where our taxi was waiting. We hired a guide from the offical booth at Ephesus who was worth every Euro. She took her time and found us plenty of places for my son to sit and rest. It was very very hot ( august). We took the umbrellas from the room and those really useful cool bottle carriers that Celebrity sell as you leave the ship. There is nowhere once you are in Ephesus to buy a drink so I would make sure you take plenty.

It was one of the best places we have ever been.

Hope this helps and you have a wnderful time.

You should be able to find a lot more information on the Ports of call section on this site. I used Ekol Travel (they have a website) three years ago to go to Ephesus and it was really reasonable, while others were being herded on the bus, my wife and I were picked up in a new Mecerdes SUV for the same price. You really need a guide to get the most out of the trip. There is a lot of walking and I do remember some of the walking as a bit rough and the Ekol site does not recommend the tour for individuals with handicaps but I am sure that there are others than can better answer your questions. One recommendation is that if you go pay the extra to see the Terrace houses. They are really incredible. Have a great trip.

We also used Ekol for our tour. A regular wheelchair would be difficult IMO, but I'd contact them and ask.

Get in touch with Kagan Kosagan. He has a website - tourguidesinturkey

We used his services for both Ephesus and Turkey. He had an associate in Ephesus and she was WONDERFUL! Very patient with us as my mother is handicapped and needs to walk very slowly. Even stayed down with her and kept her company while I toured the Terrace Houses. Although the terrain is uneven, I still think someone that is experienced in navigating a wheel chair could do it. But I would do it in reverse where you start at the theater and work your way down. Also, if you are spiritual, don't miss the House of Mary. Very peaceful in a glade like setting. A wonderful part of our day in Ephesus.

If you are going to Istanbul as well, I HIGHLY recommend hiring Kagan himself while there. He was absolutely worth every dime we payed him and then some. He opened up Turkey to us and made that stop our favorite on our Med cruise. I cannot say enough nice things about him. I never imagined LOVING Turkey as much as I did and it was as a direct result of using his service. He is passionate about his country and it shows.

We were there this last February and it's about an hour ride from Izmir with a stop 1st at the Virgin Mary's house. Having been at the Ephasis sight 2x (once 30+yearts ago), I strongly recommend a tour guide. For overall convenience we used Ephesus Delux for $60 or 70 US and that included lunch. It would be difficult with a wheel chair over uneven rocks.

I have seen lots of information on this topic in the "other Mediterannean ports" thread. You might repost your question there if you get no responses here. My family of 5 will be on the same cruise departing June 5. Please let us know what you decide to do in Turkey.

We travelled on the Equinox last week to Kusadasi, and got the local bus to Ephesus for 5 turkish lira each! That is less than 2 euro each. There is a Tourist office at the port, and they gave us directions to the local bus stop, which was 10 mins walk away.

The bus dropped us off 10 mins walk from the Ephesus site.

Its a great cheap way to see this wonderful site, especially if you dont mind walking and if its not too hot.

A lot of other people had the same idea as us. You can get a guide too at the site if you like.

Most are mentioning private tours which are a good idea, but for another view, we did use the Ship's Tour and it was great. No, we weren't hurded onto a bus - it was a bus of abut 35 and quite fine. Got to Ehesis with the tourguide giving a running account of the area as we drove. At Ehesis, we were broken up into 3 groups of about 10+ and had professionally trained/certified tourguides. Probably some of the best ruins and info we've ever experienced.

Picked only Ephesis and that worked great. we were there in Nov - great wx and very small crowds.

Have used private and ship tours, and this one was a great ship tour, and if you get a professinal guide trained for Ephesis, all will work fine.

Den

I'm disabled and can tell you first hand that touring Ephesus by wheelchair is EXTREMELY difficult. You're dropped off at the entrance and it's downhill a lot from there on very slippery granite/marble pieces. It's very, very bumpy and terribly uneven. Can it be done? Yes, but with a lot of difficulty.

a wheelchair person may be challanged. Depending on their physical state, it may or may not be worth it. my brother is a young paraplegic with fabulous upper body strength. While I think he'd probably manage, I am not sure others would enjoy it.

We used helloephesus last fall. they supplied and excellent, funny guide, a good driver, a roomy minibus, admission charges and lunch. It was one of the best value for private tours I have taken and they did not require any advanced deposit. They allowed as to add two more at the last minute. there was a tour of the rug factory with the lunch. I enjoyed seeing a bit of the craft, but nobody in our group purchased anything. No under pressure and we left when we said we were ready to go.

a wheelchair person may be challanged. Depending on their physical state, it may or may not be worth it. my brother is a young paraplegic with fabulous upper body strength. While I think he'd probably manage, I am not sure others would enjoy it.

We used helloephesus last fall. they supplied and excellent, funny guide, a good driver, a roomy minibus, admission charges and lunch. It was one of the best value for private tours I have taken and they did not require any advanced deposit. They allowed as to add two more at the last minute. there was a tour of the rug factory with the lunch. I enjoyed seeing a bit of the craft, but nobody in our group purchased anything. No under pressure and we left when we said we were ready to go.

Firstly, I would like to wish the OP, and your brother, all the best. I am very involved with a charity supporting research into SCI.

Further, this is great news about helloephesus, we have just joined a group which will be visiting with them in late Sept, off the Connie. I will pass your feedback on to the group. Tks.

Archived