Price reduction on my Oosterdam Cruise - 8/7/11

MLinFL

Hi -

I am excited about the savings I was able to get on my upcoming Oosterdam cruise. We are sailing on 8/7/11 and the final payment is due tomorrow. I thought I'd better check what the current price was and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the price of our SC cabin was now $200 per person less than when I booked it. I also saved $50 on the insurance since that is based on the cost of the cruise. All in all, a $500 saving for making one quick phone call.

Also, my friend who was booked on a DD outside was able to upgrade to a balcony for only $20/per person more.

We are both very happy. :) Just thought I would pass my excitement on.

Mary Lou

That's awesome! Our cruise price for August keeps dropping as well! I thought for sure they'd wait until after final payment for another price drop, which is beg of June, but it just dropped $100pp for the second time since we booked! :)

So do they honor the price drops to anyone who has already booked and made final payment? We paid our deposit last week, our room category dropped $50/pp yesterday so I asked our TA to call and get the adjustment. She did but told me that those new prices are just for new bookings and not to count on anymore adjustments. ??

So do they honor the price drops to anyone who has already booked and made final payment? We paid our deposit last week, our room category dropped $50/pp yesterday so I asked our TA to call and get the adjustment. She did but told me that those new prices are just for new bookings and not to count on anymore adjustments. ??

That's not unusual. Sales for new bookings only are just that. For those who choose rooms or like to the advantage to booking earlier is more choice for good locations:)

Your TA is correct. That is why it is good to check JUST PRIOR to making that final payment. I checked the day before my final payment was due. The agent that helped me (I booked directly with HAL) said that since it was prior to final payment they could make the price adjustment. As far as I know, HAL won't honor price decreases after the final payment (although some other lines will.) So - once I make the final payment, I don't even bother to check prices.

Mary Lou

hi mlinfl,

congrats!! we also got a price drop of several hundred on

our 11/26/11. is it wise to purchase the insurance from

hal or do it independently?

have a great cruise.

cinnamon 123:)

I think the issue of insurance is definitely a personal one. Due to our ages (we are both over 65), the price for insurance is quite high with an outside company. When I purchase it from the cruise line, the price is based on cost of trip, not age, so for us this is a better deal. Also, depending on the price of the trip, (if its a real deal) you might feel better just "self-insuring". Several things to consider.

Mary Lou

Congratulations on the new fare! The price dropped on my September Alaska cruise on the 3 day sale. It was for new bookings, but my TA was able to cancel and rebook the same stateroom.:) It took about an hour in the TA's office. I't nice to save money for a change!

Karen

we had already made our final pament on our june/12/11 trip on ossterdam when all the prices droped. the price for our ocean view was 100 less than a balcony so we paid the differance then when suites dropped we did the same thing and finally when deluxe suites droped we upgraded at the low rate. we went from a ocean view to a deluxe suite for 300 pp . sweet deal. but i checked the prices every day.when i asked for a refund they said they would only be able to give us a 50 doller obc the point is as long as your giving them more money they wil take it.. we are counting down to our first deluxe suite to alaska so excited .watch the prices on holland america and you can get a great deal . alot cheaper than waiting for an up sale

So you basically upgraded yourself! :D I have been checking prices every other day at least. They have only dropped so far in VE category but went UP in all of the above categories. We are still six months out so hopefully they will drop by then.

Archived