Other "Country Club Casual" Cruiselines

Dmgmd50

We had an inside cabin on our O cruise up the coast of Norway to Spitzbergen (I never can remember the name of the cruise). We met Mura, LHT and other cruisecritic members and had a great time. I agree that everyone is gracious and welcoming. CC members had a party in one of the "best" suites, we were invited to dinner with others, etc., with no attention to what our cabin level was. We also got together with others to share independent shore excursions.

I think it is O that is trying to create distinctions with different ID cards, for example, to justify the very large differences in cost of cabins and to "suggest" that if you have a different color card you will get a better quality of service. In fact, we never felt discriminated against by any member of the staff.

Our cabin choice allows us to do more traveling. On Azamara we got a great deal on an upgrade to a balcony cabin, which was fun-and wonderful when I was able to be out on the balcony. Inside the cabin, I have to face away from the window or I get seasick-that horizon moving up and down gets to me. I also realized that inside cabins have far less motion than outside cabins.

We're looking forward to our next cruise to Iceland and Greenland on July 3, 2012-also in an inside cabin.

Mary and Joe

We had an inside cabin on our O cruise up the coast of Norway to Spitzbergen (I never can remember the name of the cruise). We met Mura, LHT and other cruisecritic members and had a great time. I agree that everyone is gracious and welcoming. CC members had a party in one of the "best" suites, we were invited to dinner with others, etc., with no attention to what our cabin level was. We also got together with others to share independent shore excursions.

I think it is O that is trying to create distinctions with different ID cards, for example, to justify the very large differences in cost of cabins and to "suggest" that if you have a different color card you will get a better quality of service. In fact, we never felt discriminated against by any member of the staff.

Mary and Joe

Mary: You have given me the best reassurance that we will enjoy the passengers on the ship: that even the suite passengers are not hung about about their private lounges, priority boarding, etc. Thanks.

Mary: You have given me the best reassurance that we will enjoy the passengers on the ship: that even the suite passengers are not hung about about their private lounges, priority boarding, etc. Thanks.

We're usually in a suite but on the Norway cruise (hi Mary and Joe!) we booked too late and so we were in an A3. But when I'm in a suite, the only time I really am concerned about priority boarding is when there is a long, LONG line!

I agree that it's O that seems more hung up on the benefits enjoyed by those paying more for the cruise. Few of the passengers are so concerned.

Mary, I'm so glad we did the Norway cruise last year -- if only because we overnighted at Honningsvaag so that we were able to do both the Bird Island tour AND midnight at the Cape. I considered Bird Island to be one of the top highlights of the entire trip.

Mura

I've been on Marina both in a deck 7 cabin (no lounge) and deck 9 (concierge lounge), and I snuck a peek into the executive lounge (deck 11 suites) when no one was looking.

On deck 7 on the first voyage, I never missed the lounge -- you can't miss what you don't know about. On deck 9, I enjoyed the concierge lounge, but only to restock my supply of Diet Coke (I drink it faster than the stewardess could believe), and only because I was almost directly across from the lounge -- if I had to walk from one end of the ship to the other, or come down a deck, I would never have bothered with it. It had nothing that interested me.

The executive lounge is decorated a little more ritzy, but offers nothing that is not offered in the concierge lounge, except the need to mix with the lower class ;).

We're booked on the Maiden Voyage of Riviera, and we're in an Oceanview - same size as a veranda cabin, same big windows, same view, no lounge, no perks - and we will be just as happy.

There may be a technical class system on Oceania, different perks and different color cards, etc., but there is no class system. In 91 nights aboard, I have never felt any difference regardless of the category of cabin I occupy. If anyone says they are the victim of a class system, I submit that it is because of their own actions. The ship personnel will not treat one any differently.

There may be a technical class system on Oceania, different perks and different color cards, etc., but there is no class system. In 91 nights aboard, I have never felt any difference regardless of the category of cabin I occupy. If anyone says they are the victim of a class system, I submit that it is because of their own actions. The ship personnel will not treat one any differently.

Don, well said, and a post that sums up my view as well. I only have spent 38 nights onboard Oceania ships (so far :D), and the highest category cabin I have occupied was a B veranda. However, I never have felt one bit of difference in my treatment from any staff members or, for that matter, my fellow passengers, who have invited me to their suites for cocktails and to the specialty restaurants for their elegant significant birthday parties. It has been a delightful experience each time, and I look forward to my next experience just two weeks from now!:)

I also agree

After several cruises some of the crew know us by name but some do not but treat us just like everyone else

Some crew we have been on several cruises with them & they are very friendly always comment "how nice to see you again"

We are always in the cheap seats ;)

Lyn

I guess you are right. To me, Oceania seems to be positioning itself as a more "mass market" line like Celebrity and NCL which try to attract more upscale passengers by offering additional perks if you pay more, rather than as a luxury line like Silverseas, where you simply get a larger cabin (and a butler) if you pay more. And perhaps maybe that has even changed on Sliverseas since I last sailed.

In any case, I'm sure I will enjoy my Marina sailing in October, (as well as my Celebrity Solstice sailing with our children and grandchildren in the Spring).

Hi ..we are on oceaia marina next month, and have taken our married kids on Oceania... We also take the whole family on cruises over Xmas... But I would not take them on solstice..nothing there for kids...unless they add a kids play area over family holiday times.. My gr kids like meeting other kids...enjoy teen activities, children's camp activities the climbing walls, play areas, kids game rooms, ice skating, etc.

My husband and I enjoyed the solstice ...but my younger gr kids gr kids would not. Therevwere some youg couples on board w babies,...but none from 2 to teens. Enjoy...

Hi ..we are on oceaia marina next month, and have taken our married kids on Oceania... We also take the whole family on cruises over Xmas... But I would not take them on solstice..nothing there for kids...unless they add a kids play area over family holiday times.. My gr kids like meeting other kids...enjoy teen activities, children's camp activities the climbing walls, play areas, kids game rooms, ice skating, etc.

My husband and I enjoyed the solstice ...but my younger gr kids gr kids would not. Therevwere some youg couples on board w babies,...but none from 2 to teens. Enjoy...

My understanding is that the Solstice does have a large area for kids as well as acitivity programs for different age groups, at least on the Xmas and spring vaction cruises. As i said, we are looking forward to both the Oceania and Celebrity cruises though we know they will be very different.

Enjoy the Marina: which cruise are you on?

My understanding is that the Solstice does have a large area for kids as well as acitivity programs for different age groups, at least on the Xmas and spring vaction cruises. As i said, we are looking forward to both the Oceania and Celebrity cruises though we know they will be very different.

Enjoy the Marina: which cruise are you on?

I'm pretty sure Solstice is one of Celebrity's megaships and there will be plenty for kids to do.

LHT: Lynn - you sound like a really wonderful, down to earth person! Wouldn't mind sharing a cruise with you! :)

Here is my question to all of you who have cruised Oceania.... My husband and I have sailed lots of times on all the other cruise lines (main stream) and usually like to get the best cabin we can simply b/c as one poster put it we like a larger space and we actually do enjoy our cabin or suite.

The last few cruises we have just been disappointed with the cruise experience - the cutbacks and mostly the quality of food being served.

Is Oceania a better all around cruise than the mainstream cruise lines or do they suffer from the same penny pinching attitudes that seem to becoming more prevelant with most major cruise lines these days? We don't care if there aren't many bells and whistles - no kids to entertain - we would just enjoy a little pampering, being at sea and some really great food...

We've just about given up on cruising all together. Does anyone know what I mean? Wondering if Oceania would be a good alternative for us? Not sure about the other lines like Celebrity -- they may seem more like RCCL/Princess, etc. ?????? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hi:

There IS another cruise line which is CCC & everyone is treated equally & that is Windstar. We prefer the Windsurf at 312 pax (the other 2 ships are smaller). We have done 3 trans Atlantics on Windsurf with another planned for Apr 2012. There are only a few suites & you'd never know which passengers are in one unless they tell you.

We also found a little "class distinction" on Oceania especially from people in the "suites". Never the less we are doing another cruise on Regatta in Nov 2011 & enjoyed our other 2 cruise on her.

Delta Queen

right, but no balconies and basically a sail ship not a cruise..so hard to make the two compare.. really hard ;-)

LHT: Lynn - you sound like a really wonderful, down to earth person! Wouldn't mind sharing a cruise with you! :)

Here is my question to all of you who have cruised Oceania.... My husband and I have sailed lots of times on all the other cruise lines (main stream) and usually like to get the best cabin we can simply b/c as one poster put it we like a larger space and we actually do enjoy our cabin or suite.

The last few cruises we have just been disappointed with the cruise experience - the cutbacks and mostly the quality of food being served.

Is Oceania a better all around cruise than the mainstream cruise lines or do they suffer from the same penny pinching attitudes that seem to becoming more prevelant with most major cruise lines these days? We don't care if there aren't many bells and whistles - no kids to entertain - we would just enjoy a little pampering, being at sea and some really great food...

We've just about given up on cruising all together. Does anyone know what I mean? Wondering if Oceania would be a good alternative for us? Not sure about the other lines like Celebrity -- they may seem more like RCCL/Princess, etc. ?????? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

if you want the best cabin go for the owners suite and you will find NOTHING to complain about..

it is the best

Thank You :o:o

We've just about given up on cruising all together. Does anyone know what I mean? Wondering if Oceania would be a good alternative for us?

I have not done many mass market cruises but I do not think Oceania is penny pinching in the food dept

I bet you would love Oceania ..give them a try ;)

Lyn

right, but no balconies and basically a sail ship not a cruise..so hard to make the two compare.. really hard ;-)

I beg to differ: though it does not have balconies, we were on the Windsurf two times and it is definitely is a cruise ship (that happens to have sails which they open up once in a whille).

And until they refitted the original Seabourn ships, there were no balconies and it was still a premium cruise line.

I think you would enjoy Oceania - fine cuisine is their trade mark. Especially so on Marina with her 4 excellent specialty restaurants (all free) and Terrace Cafe with jumbo shrimps and lobster tails daily on their grill. (as well as nearly endless other choices).

You'll never know for sure until you try as all these things are subjective :)

I think you would enjoy Oceania - fine cuisine is their trade mark. Especially so on Marina with her 4 excellent specialty restaurants (all free) and Terrace Cafe with jumbo shrimps and lobster tails daily on their grill. (as well as nearly endless other choices).

You'll never know for sure until you try as all these things are subjective :)

Love your posts Paulchili but please don't say anything on any cruise line is "free." How about, "included!."

Archived