Hair Braiding

I have promised my 9 year old grand daughter that she will have her hair braided while we are on the FOS western caribbean later this year. I remember a "hair braiding location" on Labadee from our trip on the Oasis last January. Has anyone had any experience with this - is it any better or worse than any other location? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Fran

Not sure where you are going, but we did have our daughter's hair braided in the Carribean last year (well 1/2 her head, left the back down). Plan for a LONG time...couple of hours if whole head and long hair.

When you are in port, I would suggest going to one of the nicer hotels. They often have braiding stations near their pools. i was very leary of the beach side ones because I worried about how sanitary they were (or weren't). Not sure it make a difference but felt better to me.

Rather than waste that much time while on vacation (and guarantee that you will not bring any unwanted critters back home with you), why not have her hair done at an ethnic hairdresser near home before you leave?

Rather than waste that much time while on vacation (and guarantee that you will not bring any unwanted critters back home with you), why not have her hair done at an ethnic hairdresser near home before you leave?

I second this. For a couple of reasons - if she's got a tender head, it'll hurt. If she doesn't like it/doesn't want it, it'll be easier to take them out at home vs. on a ship. And if it's a good salon, it'll be clean. No worries.

Also, I warned a friend about the risk of little friends coming home with you...she didn't believe me at all, had it done in Ocho Rios and had the most embarrassing moment of her life when the flight attendant told her about them - the passenger behind her saw them crawling an hour into her cross-country flight.

Not to be a downer, but there have been a few horror stories on these boards over the years about the pain these little ones go through getting their hair braided. It will hurt. I'm not sure you can ever prepare her for that. :(

If you feel this is something you both want to do, though, I would recommend only a few braids, not the entire head. Perhaps with some pretty beads, this will be enough to satisfy her. Just a suggestion. :)

When my son was 16 he had his hair braided in Nassau (his hair was very long). That night he woke me up at 3am and said the beads were so painful to sleep on. We ended up taking the braids out that night. So for us,a waste of money and a painful experience for him.

I second this. For a couple of reasons - if she's got a tender head, it'll hurt. If she doesn't like it/doesn't want it, it'll be easier to take them out at home vs. on a ship. And if it's a good salon, it'll be clean. No worries.

Also, I warned a friend about the risk of little friends coming home with you...she didn't believe me at all, had it done in Ocho Rios and had the most embarrassing moment of her life when the flight attendant told her about them - the passenger behind her saw them crawling an hour into her cross-country flight.

ROFLMAO !! Funniest thing I have EVER read on this site!

And will say this again ..... PEOPLE .... WHITE WOMEN LOOK RIDICCCCCULOUS WITH THEIR HAIR BRAIDED !!!

Yep -- I did see that she was 9 ... and I don't even know if the OP is white or not. That's just a general reminder I make on here from time to time when the subject comes up (just so everyone remembers)!! LOL :p

My dd did her whole head on a trip many years ago. I never even thought about the lice issue..........til we got home.....

Even tho they may clean the combs, it's under their fingernails......

Also, having tons of braids also destroyed her fine hair......she had tons of breakage and had to get it cut pretty short to fix it...

I agree with several others, maybe get it done at home where you know the cleanliness of the salons!!

Yes, this is one of the funniest blogs I've seen. Yes it can be painful with "very fine straight hair" not necessarily "white" hair. For those with a course grade of hair it holds a lot better and doesn't take as much pulling to make it stay. So there might be some pain for tender heads that are not of this texture or who have never experienced this technique. Also it is a time factor for any person that has it done, but a nice look when finished and for some a different experience. Ask them not to pull so hard and if it comes apart in a day or so, she will still be happy to have done it.

Again this was funny, but understandable for concern and curiosity. I hope she enjoys them even if she only does the front for a day or so. It is her dream vacation also.

I'm sure she will look beautiful!

Butterfly625

I posted earlier because I had it done for my daughter (she was 12) last winter in Mexico at a hotel

. We did not get lice and it was not painful. yeah, they pull a bit, but not bad. She had 1/2 head done with the back left and it was really cute (yes, even on a young white girl). She didn't complain and it lasted about a month before we had to take it out. It didn't break her hair bad we were just careful when we took it out.

I'm telling you this because I know these little ones get it in their heads they want something and it's not all bad stories. I would be careful where it was done, but don't give up just because of fear.

My son had a friend that went to summer church camp, came home with critters and proceeded to give it to all of his buddies, so it can happen anywhere. Just check it out and make sure they have a place to clean things up.

My daughter had this done as did many other people know without a problem. Just be aware of the following:

-it will hurt doing it as well as the next day. The hair must be pulled tightly.

-if sand gets on the braids, it will be difficult to rinse out

Therefore, I recommend getting it done at the last port. If she is a little uncomfortable at home, it wont affect your vacation. Also, there isn't sand on the ship lol

Enjoy--the girls love having this done!

Just another thought.... I have had my hair braided many times over the years, once the whole head.....would not do that again as it looked like a checkerboard in the back and and left my scalp open for sunburn. What I have learned since then.....

I go to a local beauty supply store and buy my own comb to bring...they like to use the small straight combs like men use and they are easy to find here and bring it with you..... I have also been known to buy my own beads at the supply store and bring them if I want them to do all gold beads or gold and silver which is hard to find in the Caribbean, they usually only have mulicolor beads.

I also only get a few on each side and have them make they as thick as they can, like a 1/4 to 1/2 inch, not the stupid tiny thin ones that are ugly and hurt, I have had them take it out more than once when they tried to do the tiny ones. Be sure to be looking in the mirror as they are braiding.

If you have them make the braid under your top layer of hair on the sides , then you have the option to wear it down or pull it back and have the whole braid show or just the bottom.

Also it is much easier to wash and sleep when you have maybe 2 to 4 on each side and there are lots of styles you can play with in putting it up or down and not look like Bo Derrek!

Just my 2 cents........ Have fun and be smart and safe.

I have promised my 9 year old grand daughter that she will have her hair braided while we are on the FOS western caribbean later this year. I remember a "hair braiding location" on Labadee from our trip on the Oasis last January. Has anyone had any experience with this - is it any better or worse than any other location? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Fran

I learned on cruisecritic before letting my dd get her hair braided to bring not only my own combs but the rubber bands as well. I probably would bring my own beads as well. I was very worried about lice. Have fun

Archived