Need to cancel my cruise does any one want to take it over

jamiedog11

I need to cancel my cruise as my son been taken into a london hosiptal,

Flying from Heathrow ecomony plus seats, balcony cabin, flying to new york, taking in rode island, boston azores and u will be sailing back to southampton

13th june for 10 days.

Or do u think p and o would let us travel at another time.

I am upset about this but my son comes first.

Any one interested please in box me and i will give u more details

carol:(:(:(:(

I need to cancel my cruise as my son been taken into a london hosiptal,

Flying from Heathrow ecomony plus seats, balcony cabin, flying to new york, taking in rode island, boston azores and u will be sailing back to southampton

13th june for 10 days.

Or do u think p and o would let us travel at another time.

I am upset about this but my son comes first.

Any one interested please in box me and i will give u more details

carol:(:(:(:(

Very sad news, hope he gets better soon.

Im not sure they would allow a change o another cruise as they would treat it as a cancellation. I also dont know where they stand with regards to changing the names over for the flight and cruise. Best to give your agent a call to explore the options. Failing that wont your travel insurance cover it?

Best wishes.

Aw Carol, I am so sorry for you. You don't think things could improve for him over the next fortnight? Guess it's too close for you to chance it now :(.

The main thing is that your son is looked after in the best possible place.

Very sorry for you and Mum :(

Name changes are possible but their is a strict 14 day policy I presume so they can get paperwork ready for customs and check-in in time....

I took my mum-in-laws place on a weekender in March after she had a fall and was in hospital. She was sharing a balcony cabin on Ventura on a weekender with my daughter, so it seemed a good idea for 'mum' to replace grandmum...it was a bit nerve racking as we had to make the decision within a few days, and even then mum-in-law had to give her permission for the name change even though she was hospitaised with dementia! And this involved me sneaking in a mobile, ringing on my pay-asyou-go phone in the ward by her bedside listening to lots of music at 50p a minute and them trying to get answers from her...anyway, then you pay a admin charge. But as the 14day policy is fast approaching I doubt you could sort it out in time. Insurance will be the way forward I'm afraid.

in my experience, p&o are not very flexible on changes.

i enquired whether i could change one of our booked cabins from my son and his wife, and to my daughter and her husband, but they would not allow this as they are only willing to change one name per cabin...for a fee. cant see the point of that as most cabins are occupied by 2 people,

especailly if they are married couples. this was also giving a years notice,...but still they wuld not have it..in the end, my son had to cancel his proposed move, to enable them to still come.

more recently, my sister had a cruise booked for august, and she tried to change dates for a later cruise as mum was very ill, and we were not sure how long she had left,...but again p&o did not want to know...said that the mini suite that they were booked in had now been down graded, and so therefore could not be changed, as it would look like p&o were overcharging. my sister siad that wasnt a problem to her, and would put it in writing, but still they would not budge, so in the end, they had to cancel and lose their £700 deposit. Sadly mum passed away last week very quickly, so i guess insurance is the only answer to lots of these situations,

although i never buy insurance until much nearer the date of travel. ??

be interesting to see what others have done in similar situations.

i think booking a year and half in advance as we usually do, can be a problem when you never know whats round the corner :(

You really should buy insurance as soon as you purchase the holiday, otherwise no cancellation cover.

Mary

Unless the insurance premium is more than the deposit!

My Mother has extremely costly insurance premiums due to numerous, serious health issues - for her the deposit is always less, so she never buys her insurance until the week before departure.

As a matter of interest, we discovered that Lloyds Bank are offering free worldwide travel insurance for up to age 80 with one of their acconts so, having checked it all out and carried out comparisons, we've changed banks! As we go away several times a year and only need to pay in £12 monthly, it will save us a small fortune and we're nowhere near 80 yet ....... result!

P&O lost our business 2 years ago after they would only change a cruise to a more expensive cruise in the same brochure, and pay £100. Customer services were really unhelpful, just quoting their terms and conditions, we later found out that others had been allowed to book 2 cruises!

It would have been our 28th P&O cruise, but our loyalty counted for nothing. We now cruise Royal Caribbean/Celebrity where we met others who had recieved the similar service from P&O's customer services.

Richard

Unless the insurance premium is more than the deposit!

My Mother has extremely costly insurance premiums due to numerous, serious health issues - for her the deposit is always less, so she never buys her insurance until the week before departure.

Interesting, thanks. Never thought about that aspect. Just bear in mind that with most holidays companies, one forfeits the full amount, or a proportion thereof, considerably more than one week before the trip.

Mary:)

My parents can only get single-trip insurance because of their medical histories, and you can't take a policy out until six months before the holiday. Generally they book their cruise in advance and arrange the insurance later. They did cancel a Caribbean cruise one Christmas as the insurance premium for the two-week cruise came in at £2,600.

Fortunately they later found a more acceptable policy so were able to re-book and come with us, but it is a constant headache for them and they have accepted that they will have to restrict themselves to Europe from now on.

Carol x

Interesting, thanks. Never thought about that aspect. Just bear in mind that with most holidays companies, one forfeits the full amount, or a proportion thereof, considerably more than one week before the trip.

Mary:)

Yes of course. It all depends on the numbers for each individual. - but as my Mum has paid more for the insurance than the cruise, for her it works.

Actually you can take out some insurances up to a year before you travel. Especially if you take annual. I have just got a very good deal from Insure & Go. Starts this November and covers our cruise in October 2012. They covered my husband medical conditions and mine for £283 for both of us.

Archived