Average age on Oceania

I really do not care about chronological age, which has little to do with one's attitude toward life; the only effects of this older group that I noticed was a significantly higher presence of suit jackets and ties being worn in the dining venues. This crowd, particularly the male gender, were a much dressier group than on our previous three Oceania cruises. Also, at the return passenger's cocktail party, everyone sat in the Horizon's chairs, so their was no mingling among the passengers at all; really weird for a purported cocktail party!

Pam I also noticed more jacket & ties :eek: on our Marina cruise ...I wonder if they are new to Oceania or just want to be more dressy

I am surprised they had the past guest party in Horizons ..we had it in the lounge ..the seats there are not really conducive to mingling either

Glad you had a good trip

Lyn

Pam I also noticed more jacket & ties :eek: on our Marina cruise ...I wonder if they are new to Oceania or just want to be more dressy

I am surprised they had the past guest party in Horizons ..we had it in the lounge ..the seats there are not really conducive to mingling either

Glad you had a good trip

Lyn

Thanks, Lyn. My husband had neither a jacket nor a tie with him, so he continued with his long-sleeved dress shirts only.

• 1 month later...

FWIW, I'm 36, DW is 34. We booked our first O sailing for this November, TA Rome to Rio. We are not "night life" people, nor those that must always be going somewhere to see something. We specifically chose O and the TA to have an upscale, long vacation to just RELAX. So we are not going to fit in, with the age demographics, but I think this will be a good fit for us and our needs nonetheless. It'll probably be difficult for my wife to be away from our kids for so long, though. Looking forward to the cruise!

While you will be younger than most, that doesn't mean you'll be younger than all. And age is only chronological. Spirit is not. I'm sure you will find people NOT in your age group whose company you will enjoy. And you should have lots of relaxation time on a TA! But I'm glad you aren't looking forward to Las Vegas style entertainment because then you WOULD be disappointed!

On our first Renaissance cruise my husband (then in our 50s, I think) had dinner one night with a couple in their late 30s, just a little older than you. They had been taken aback by the sight of four wheelchairs being lifted on board (!) but said they were having a great time. They'd been wondering if they might feel uncomfortable, but they did not. Not at all.

Bon voyage!

Mura

• 11 months later...

Took my 18 year old daughter in 2006 on Azamara Med cruise. It was a ship of interesting, well-traveled, and yes "older" passengers. We were close to the youngest. We LOVED it all. We would see some of them at all the different ports, on the trains, etc...

I play golf with a 80 year old lady. She played 9 holes on Wednesday (it was 99 degrees). She played 18 holes on Wednesday (98 degrees) and might play on Friday.

She is considering a Med cruise in 2013 and asked me if she could look at my "the World" brochure. My kind of passenger!

There are older people, and then there are people like her. Fantastic, active, interesting who you never see them as "old".

We just returned this past Sunday from our cruise aboard the Regatta (Istanbul to Rome) and found a wide range of ages - much more so than I was expecting. My husband and I are 46 and 47 and did not feel out of place in the least. There were young couples (in their 20's), there were 3 generations of families, there were couples celebrating their 30th or 40th anniversary, etc. Also, everyone we talked to could not have been nicer.

Same here...it was our first one also -- Sept/Oct. 1999-- celebrated my birthday -- and I was in my 50's then!!! We all get older, but not many of us get 'old'....we met people on our last cruise in April who were in their early 40's and we had a wonderful time. I don't think the number counts...it's the attitude and the desire to travel that separates us. Arlene

Love your last sentence. So true! We will be taking our first O cruise in summer 2013 for my "year early big 5-0" celebration. My husband and I consider ourselves for 30-somethings, though, in our sense of fun and adventure and attitude. We chose O because of the ports we'll be seeing (Italy) and that it is more upscale for this special occasion cruise. We have sailed NCL and RCCL in the past.

For us, it's the ports that we love about the cruise. We also love how relaxed we feel while on board. Love the vibration of the ship. Seems to melt away all my tensions. We're not into most entertainment on the ships. They so often are too campy for us. We have found some gems on the few cruises we've done, though.

I don't have any information about the average age of Oceania cruisers, but I

do know that the average age of the passengers on Oceania's Caribbean cruises is 67....this information comes from Oceania's CEO.

We're both 40 and taking our 1st O cruise in October...we suspect that while we may be among the younger people aboard, I'm fairly certain we will be put to shame by many older. We're not party people and are looking forward to cruising with a "mature crowd". Don't get me wrong, the mood may strike one night and we might even make it past eleven!

My wife and I are very experienced cruisers with just about 16 or so cruises under our belt over the past 7 years. However, our cruising has been mostly on the larger mass passenger lines, like Carnival, NCL, Disney, and Celebrity. With that said we are planning a big trip for my 35th birthday and saw the unbelievable deals that are being offered on the Oceania's Sapphire Seas 12 night Western Caribbean. Will we feel out of place on this ship, or are there many other cruisers in their mid 30's?. Also, does this line offer many shows at night and other things to do after dark?

May I offer that age is between the ears; you are as old as you feel and as young as you look. Judging by the lines you have cruised, many more than once, I would say that with the exception of Celebrity, Oceania is not your cup of tea if you'll miss rock climbing walls, zip lines, ice skating rinks and production shows requiring ear plugs. Not to mention the hords of photographers, watch sales, and soft drink and bottled water "deals".

If it were me I'd not worry about the average age of my fellow passengers but did the ship fit my personality? Then there those (me included) who can adapt to most any theme as long as it is a cruise line I don't fault.

Might you be one?:)

Spook hit the nail on the head as far as age is a function of attitude for the most part.

As was pointed out, Oceania , as well as other ships like Regent,Silver Seas,etc are designed for the traveler who can entertain themselves. After dinner, maybe enjoy a night cap and a stroll on deck or an interesting discussion with a fellow shipmate rather than a full blown vegas show ; a romp in the disco or late night bar hopping and a comedy show.

Daytime activites might center around an enrichment lecture or artistic endeavor or just a good book or conversation with others. Low key is the word and subtile.

The other mass market ships are more for passengers who desire to be entertained, whatever their age might be. This is more a function of personality rather than age.. what you feel you need from a cruise.

Cruises are all like underware, they perform a basic function to the wearer. However, like underware, they all fit somewhat differently and need to be fitted to the individua in style, size and taste.

It is thus rather important to match ones desire to ones pick of cruise lines.. make shure they fit YOU

To put it bluntly, you might find yourself tripping over more walkers than strollers. The O ships are great for the 60 + age group as it offers everything we would want and lacks little for active 30-40 year age group. That being said, I suspect that you will find a limited younger group of passengers on holiday cruises (Christmas, Easter, etc.) . Don't get me wrong, most 35 year old passengers who are not looking for nightlife, enjoy the extradinary food, great itineraries, and enjoy mingling with well traveled and seasoned older travelers.

My wife and I are very experienced cruisers with just about 16 or so cruises under our belt over the past 7 years. However, our cruising has been mostly on the larger mass passenger lines, like Carnival, NCL, Disney, and Celebrity. With that said we are planning a big trip for my 35th birthday and saw the unbelievable deals that are being offered on the Oceania's Sapphire Seas 12 night Western Caribbean. Will we feel out of place on this ship, or are there many other cruisers in their mid 30's?. Also, does this line offer many shows at night and other things to do after dark?

We just got off the Regatta Istanbul to Rome and I was pleased to see that people was younger than the one I was in 2008 (Baltic) Some was teenagers, 30', 40', family with 2 children.

Archived