Victoria BC High Tea

We are traveling next week to Alaska on the Sapphire and wanted to experience tea time or high tea while in Victoria but we are there from 7-12. Do you know of a place that offers it to cruise ship passengers arriving late. I know tea time is normally afternoon. Thanks

We are traveling next week to Alaska on the Sapphire and wanted to experience tea time or high tea while in Victoria but we are there from 7-12. Do you know of a place that offers it to cruise ship passengers arriving late. I know tea time is normally afternoon. Thanks

Unfortunately, there are only three places that I can think of and they are all serving Afternoon or "High" Tea. At 7pm arrival into Ogden Point (Victoria) you would probably not even be ashore before 7:30 - 7:45pm and then you are into the dinner hour.

High Tea was designed to be a gap filler between what we call lunch and supper time and was originally served between 2 and 4 pm. For the sake of tourism, places like the Fairmont, Butchart Gardens and The Blethering Place have somewhat bastardized tradition.

Regrets with those port times, I'd submit that you are out of luck for High Tea on this voyage.

Ciao for now!!!

Yes the Bengal Lounge in the Empress is a great place to have a drink and if you like curry; they have a fantastic curry buffet served all day.

FYI to Captainron - The Blethering Place is no more; closed in January and a new Bistro has opened in its place.

Agreed, you will not find "High Tea" at the Fairmont Empress after 7 pm (on the website it's actually called "Afternoon Tea"). Most likely, you will not even disembark until after then, and you'll need to be onboard 30 minutes prior to sailing. Obviously, this doesn't leave you much time. Victoria is beautiful on summer evenings and although the downtown activities may not yet be in full swing as they are in July and August, there will be plenty to see and do walking around the downtown area.

Dinner, yes.... "High Tea", no. Sorry. Although I am intrigued by thoth's comment about a ship's excursion; check with your line - but I'm doubtful. :o

The High Tea at the Empress is amazing and if you can somehow make it work, I would...

... but to still get all the old-world feel and elegance, dinner in the Empress Room is a FANTASTIC experience... food is delicious and service is the best. Plus you feel like royalty.

Back in 2004, I did a tour which included tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria.

I don't recall the time of this tea, but it was in the evening in that I missed dinner in the ship's main dining room. It was dark when we got back to the ship.

When a ship of 2000 arrives, all sorts of "special arrangements" can be made.

Of no use to the OP but surprising to me, at about a quarter to four this afternoon I walked through the area used by the Empress for high tea. Prime time, one would think, but the place was mostly empty. The Pearl is in town, 5 PM departure.

...quarter to four this afternoon I walked through the area used by the Empress for high tea. Prime time, one would think, but the place was mostly empty. The Pearl is in town, 5 PM departure.

Probably a bit too close to departure for most. All aboard would be 4:30.

But not all of them take tea at the Empress. Victoria is more than that. :)

I know that. My post was reaffirming the fact that when tourist arrive, special arragments can be made. Some had claimed tea is only a certain times and if one arrives later, then no tea.

• 1 month later...

From the Empress website:

EVENING TEA

We are pleased to offer Tea service May to September on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Monday evenings. The seating times are 7:00pm, 7:15pm, 7:30pm, 7:45pm, 8:30pm, 8:45pm and 9:00pm.

• 11 months later...

You can book Tea through your cruise line (Princess charges $89/person) or book yourself on-line through OpenTable for $51 CAD for evening tea.

If you want a snack/dessert and/or drink or something at Bengal Lounge, it's walk-in only & no reservations are taken for the evening.

Archived