Could smaller ships again become viable with higher fuel prices?

I think the mix of large fuel efficiant mega ships and smaller customer/port friendly smaller ships, will be driven by what the clients want more than just fuel considerations.

While the mega ships have tons of activities and can run at a low cost per passanger which translates into great value for price paid. Some cruisers will simply not want to cruise on them because of the lack of intimacy and flexability of ports. This will force lines to offer smaller ships at different price points.

Your point is right on. The cruise market and corporate strategy will decide what is built. QM2 is built for transatlantic cruising, so speed is a factor. Higher speed equals higher fuel consumption, so the size of the ship may be important in the cost analysis. Oasis is built to haul extreme numbers of cruisers to Caribbean ports. Therefore, it doesn't need the speed of QM2.

There is a market for smaller ports and home ports, as well as canal transit. There is also a market for people who prefer smaller ships. As long as these market exist, there will be "smaller" ships.

Side note: "smaller" is a relative term. There was a time, not that long ago, when 80,000 GRT was considered massive. Now Spirit class ships are considered "small"

Seems like Carnival sells them off or turns them over to another sister company much before that.

Traditionally that's been the case, but Carnival just sunk a lot of capital into the Fantasy class ships. I don't think they'll start to go anywhere for a decade or so.

Traditionally that's been the case, but Carnival just sunk a lot of capital into the Fantasy class ships. I don't think they'll start to go anywhere for a decade or so.

I don't see them being sold either, but I do believe that transfers to sister lines are likely. For Carnival Corp. as a whole, its just a change of livery and home port.

Tampa is our favorite port to sail from also. Wish there were more ships to choose from. I know NCL is coming soon but not interested in them. Would love a Princess&RCCL for variety. Getting tired of Legend&Inspiration.

Tampa is our favorite port to sail from also. Wish there were more ships to choose from. I know NCL is coming soon but not interested in them. Would love a Princess&RCCL for variety. Getting tired of Legend&Inspiration.

The Paradise is coming later this year, so that will give you some change.

Yeah... but I landed... not impacted.

I love my Navy and Marine brothers and sisters but, ya' know, I just love a runway!!!

:)

Didn't you mean landing strip ????:eek::D

The Paradise is coming later this year, so that will give you some change.

I don't consider that to be a good deal :(. They're taking away the Inspiration and giving us the Paradise. I'm glad that I'm sailing on the Inspiration one more time before it gets moved.

Archived