Standing Ovations

BosoxI

I guess I have to take the opposite side to this issue.

We hear a lot on these boards about tipping. should I, could I, would I, what if, when, and how?

None of us want to be rude and discourtious to those who work hard to ensure our comfort while sailing on board Princess. And they are deserving of this consideration IMHO.

Not once have I heard anyone ask about tipping any of the entertainers. Do they not work as hard to make our cruise as do the room stewards, waiters etc?

I had a talk with the CD and Ass CD on Carnival Pride and Caribbean Princess, as we have friends who's daughter is in the entertainment field and thinking of exploring the idea of working on a cruise ship. What these people go through to deisgn, coreograph (sp) and produce these shows is unbelievable.

Not one person has to dig into their pockets in order to show appreciation for the "efforts" shown during these performances. It costs us nothing extra. IMHO it is just a show of gratitude from us who have been entertained to those who have devoted their efforts towards that end.

To each their own, but when I appreciate someones efforts I like to let them know.

My daughter was just in her middle school's play production performances last weekend and honestly, the musical could have been so much better than it actually was (favoritism led to less than perfect casting, including the major female lead who could sing, but was weak on acting). So it was funny when the teachers' friends were piling on the compliments on their FB pages. I didn't. When my hubby was trying to take a photo at the finale, some woman jumped up for an ovation, and it really irked my hubby. (he didn't see many of the rehearsals as I had but he did realized it was okay, but not great)

Last year's shows were amazing and would deserve a standing O.

Yes...twice...we were on b2b cruises so saw them on the 18th and 28th cruises:)

We saw them 4 times over our 5 cruises last winter on the Emerald (including once when, horrors, we skipped dinner to see them twice in evening). They received SOs every time. Of course, most of us were on our feet about 2/3 of the way through their performance.

I like SOs. I guess it's kind of the same thing as saying 'I love you' to someone. If I say it often, does it mean less? I certainly don't think so. The singers on the Star didn't warrant SOs (I thought), so I didn't give them one. But it's not something I dole out like it's a limited resource.

I don't know how many have noticed, but many shows end with a rousing number and a "get on your feet and clap to the music". Standing (but normal) applause after that becomes a standing ovation...

Yes we have been to some shows on Princess where the show and/or specific singers or dancers deserve a standing O. I love the fact we are getting live entertainment, and would like to see more of a live band presence as well.

As a musician and singer in a different venue, I can appreciate it when I hear a really good singer or musician or group, and am quite frankly surprised when I find myself clapping for a stellar performance while others around me appear unimpressed. I guess this is another case of "to each his/her own".

political correctness run amuck! :rolleyes: An adult version of everyone getting a trophy so that no ones feelings get hurt.

We have seen shows that we've enjoyed, others that were only ok. I have yet to see one on a ship that warrants a stand o. I stand, but only to work my way out of the venue. :o

This is a really interesting discussion but has left me feeling puzzled. Surely watching any type of entertainment is a very personal experience, some people will love it, others less so. Some will enjoy it so much they will want to give a SO, I am not sure that that makes anyone a 'sheep' for expressing their own preferences. Others will not wish to give a SO and that is also their preference and does not make them a 'sheep' either. I have been to many PCL shows, some have been very mediocre, some downright awful and only one which I have given a SO too and that was the recent British Invasion show on the Grand, those kids could really sing and dance. Anyway that's just my two peneth for what its worth.

I'm guilty of leaving the theatre before the shows end...that is...when I bother to go, so I miss any standing O's. I do sit towards the back of the room so no one sees my exit. It's always the same song/dance stuff, the same comedy, I'll go for a magic show sometimes. I'd rather go to a piano bar or smaller venue for entertainment.

I do think the kids work hard and you can't fault them for the lousy song arrangements they have to sing. I am in awe of the dancers, but once you've seen a couple cruise ship shows, you've pretty much seen them all.

The best entertainment I've seen at sea was on Cunard and Disney. A big departure from typical cruise shows.

I'm also not fond of having to watch the wait staff parade around the last night of the cruise, either. I will clap along with everyone but I always think "thank goodness I don't have to do this at work every week". Can you imagine doing this in a land restaurant? It must be embarrassing.

In over 20 cruises and dozens of production, magic and comedy shows, we've seen probably about 6 standing O's and participated in exactly two.

The first I can't remember the show, but it was on the Island in 2006, and the second on the Golden last month during the British Invasion production show.

But I have to say, sitting now in the front rows and getting to see the intensity with which the dancers do or do not put into their performance, and actually interact with them while they are performing, does somewhat prejudice our views of the shows. The flaws stand out, but then so does their enthusiasm.

On the subject of the "Beatlemaniacs", we too saw the show, loved the music, and they did receive the standing o, but we did not participate. Why? Some of the music track was canned, how much I couldn't tell, but I do know there were no horns on the stage, so not being able to tell what was live and what was memorex, we stayed seated.

Not once have I heard anyone ask about tipping any of the entertainers. Do they not work as hard to make our cruise as do the room stewards, waiters etc?

I baked brownies and brought them on board for one dancer,

and to share with the rest of the cast. They disappeared

in approximately three nano-seconds.

I have also bought cast members drinks; and I did a photo

portfolio for one dancer. (at his request)

I would think it would be somewhat awkward, if not disrespectful

to tip salaried employees in cash.

We saw them 4 times over our 5 cruises last winter on the Emerald (including once when, horrors, we skipped dinner to see them twice in evening). They received SOs every time. Of course, most of us were on our feet about 2/3 of the way through their performance.

...when the lyrics are "Get on your feet, stand up and make it happen!"

I baked brownies and brought them on board for one dancer,

and to share with the rest of the cast. They disappeared

in approximately three nano-seconds.

I have also bought cast members drinks; and I did a photo

portfolio for one dancer. (at his request)

I would think it would be somewhat awkward, if not disrespectful

to tip salaried employees in cash.

I think what you did is so sweet. I bet the cast really appreciated that.

Wilfros, as the mother of a Princess cruise ship entertainer who knows how hard they work to out on a good show, no comment here.

I don't think I've ever been to any show on a Princess ship, whether a production show, or comedian/hypnotist, etc. that ended with a standing ovation, at least not that I recall.

Anyway, I would agree with the general sentiments, a standing ovation should not be the norm.....

Mike

I've been on four princess cruises and the only standing ovation I saw was for a production show called "Once Upon A Dream." The female singer was truly amazing and deserved every accolade she got.....:):):)

Bob

In my opinion, ANYTHING with pre-recorded music and voice tracks does NOT deserve a standing ovation. Using that criteria, few, if any, Princess shows would get a standing ovation.

...but not the dancers. Only the four vocalists are typically live miked, the background singers are memorex, but its the dancing I show my appreciation for more than the vocals...

I have just read a review in which it was noted that a performance was rewarded with a standing ovation. What performance on a Princess ship is not rewarded with a standing ovation?:D There is a group of people-jack in the boxes-who automatically jump up at the end of every performance, good, bad, or indifferent. It used to be that standing ovations were reserved for those rare performances which truly exceeded the norm. Not so on Princess. Having said this, I realize that Standing Os in no way affect me; they do not spoil my cruise; they don't really annoy me, rather they give me reason for mirth in seeing how "average" has been elevated by some into "stupendous". But I ask this: "if by chance some performer REALLY deserves such a rare accolade, how will it be given? :confused:

It's so interesting that you posted this, as I was just saying this while watching "Dancing with the Stars". People are clueless and don't realize that standing ovations are for really superb, extraordinary performances - not for every single one. They lose their "specialness" if they are common.

I think what you did is so sweet. I bet the cast really appreciated that.

Wilfros, as the mother of a Princess cruise ship entertainer who knows how hard they work to out on a good show, no comment here.

I have done this a few times for special people. The particular

dancer had gone out of her way to find the answer (on board)

to a question I had, including tracking down the security officer

to ask directly. It was the least I could do...

To a passenger, it is absolutely amazing that someone on board

would enjoy MORE food brought to them.

But, I think everyone working on board gets bored with the same

monotony of the food during their contract. Then, when there

is code-red, everyone who ordinarily has deck privledges is

really cranky about having (only) crew-food!

I've stood a few times for cruise ships shows but I see it happening more and more. It does not bother me, entertainment is subjective and not everyone has had exposure to live theatre shows.

We were recently on the Star and attended 2 performances by the fabulous Celtic Tenors, we stood for them both times, their show gave me the chills.

I've stood a few times for cruise ships shows but I see it happening more and more. It does not bother me, entertainment is subjective and not everyone has had exposure to live theatre shows.

We were recently on the Star and attended 2 performances by the fabulous Celtic Tenors, we stood for them both times, their show gave me the chills.

Goosebumps never lie!:p

I don't think I've ever been to any show on a Princess ship, whether a production show, or comedian/hypnotist, etc. that ended with a standing ovation, at least not that I recall.

Anyway, I would agree with the general sentiments, a standing ovation should not be the norm.....

Mike

I have never seen a standing ovation on Princess for any type of show and frankly none of them deserve it. They are all mediocre at best.

Archived