The big on-board account annoyance

Anyone have a suggestion for me? I have $450 OBC already for my account for my Epic cruise, and was about to purchase more when the NCL rep informed me that even if I had a ton of credits, I still would have to give up a credit card for my account. Well, since I don't do credit cards, my only option would be a debit card which isn't a very good idea.

So, my next option was traveler's checks. Great idea, right? Get $700 in TC's and present them for my on board account. Too bad my bank (BBVA Compass) did away with offering travelers checks as a service at all!

So, now what?:confused:

Some folks just put cash on their account...it's doable!

Yeah, but it's not exactly safe carrying $700 ($100 per day x 7 days) around from my last US airport until I embark, and I'm staying 2 days in Barcelona prior to cruising. So, you see my issue.

Can you get one of those "reloadable" credit card from your bank? You get a card (Visa/MC) and put a specified amount of cash on it, then use it like a regular credit card. When the money is gone, the card is no longer valid. That might be an option.

Yeah, but it's not exactly safe carrying $700 ($100 per day x 7 days) around from my last US airport until I embark, and I'm staying 2 days in Barcelona prior to cruising. So, you see my issue.

Barcelona is pickpocket capital, they even took my friends suitcase when they were checking in!!! So be careful of cash!!

Can you get one of those "reloadable" credit card from your bank? You get a card (Visa/MC) and put a specified amount of cash on it, then use it like a regular credit card. When the money is gone, the card is no longer valid. That might be an option.

Nope, I don't see that as an option anywhere on any information I have with the bank. Plus, they wouldn't have any cards "on hand" so being this close to leaving, the chances are poor that I'd have it in hand.

Since you do not seem to go with most of society today --

suggest you pay for a Cashier's Check from your Bank -

payable to the Cruise Line. Be sure to check with

the specific cruise line to meet their requirements.

Any money not spent on the cruise will be returned

to you at the end of the cruise.

Please realize that the cruise line needs to be sure all

on-board accounts have enough credit and/or cash to

cover ALL expenses for each passenger.

Of course, the easiest way is to obtain a credit card with

a balance enough to pay on-board expenses. Register

that credit card with the cruise line. Pay the balance

when due - so no service charges. Or even a Debit Card.

Can it be possible to open up the ship account using a small cash amount, say 20 dollars? Considering all of the OBC you have, i dont think you will need alot of cash for that account

Can it be possible to open up the ship account using a small cash amount, say 20 dollars? Considering all of the OBC you have, i dont think you will need alot of cash for that account

No. I talked to the NCL rep today (who stopped me from doing the $700 OBC today because of this) and she and her supervisor told me that even if I had the full $1,150 on my account, because it's not "registered" in the system prior to embark, that they would still need something to secure it. If cash, would still have to be $100 per day. Silly, I know.

Yes, but are you an AMEX cardholder? (meaning, did they let you do it as a non AMEX cardholder?)

Why go through all that. Take cash. Here is something you can use and you won't have to worry. :)

http://www.amazon.com/McNett-Silk-Neck-Wallet-Gold/dp/B001EIFQ1U

I think you can find them also in the luggage section at Walmart or Target

You should be able to purchase traveler's checks from any bank. Expect to pay about a 1% fee though. I would double check with NCL to be sure they will accept them in leiu of a credit card. That's probably the safest way to go.

If you decide to go with a prepaid debit card, beware of the bank you purchase from and read the fine print. They will lock you out very quickly with one mistake on your part. (voice of experince)

Millions of us use the ships systems ever year. The system works. AS I see it your only fear should be being robbed carrying all these funds Do a prepaid credit card for the necessary amount. Debit card off checking act.or money market act. What is your real fear??

You should be able to purchase traveler's checks from any bank. Expect to pay about a 1% fee though. I would double check with NCL to be sure they will accept them in leiu of a credit card. That's probably the safest way to go.

If you decide to go with a prepaid debit card, beware of the bank you purchase from and read the fine print. They will lock you out very quickly with one mistake on your part. (voice of experince)

Yeah, it was the NCL rep that suggested the traveler check route in the first place. However, since this is my first cruise, I double check everything anyways, so as soon as I figure out a bank that is fine with non-account holders tomorrow, then I'll call NCL to verify that the Epic will indeed accept my $700.

As far as everything else is concerned, I just don't feel like taking the chances on carrying cash around like that for a couple of days! :eek:

Anyone have a suggestion for me? I have $450 OBC already for my account for my Epic cruise, and was about to purchase more when the NCL rep informed me that even if I had a ton of credits, I still would have to give up a credit card for my account. Well, since I don't do credit cards, my only option would be a debit card which isn't a very good idea.

So, my next option was traveler's checks. Great idea, right? Get $700 in TC's and present them for my on board account. Too bad my bank (BBVA Compass) did away with offering travelers checks as a service at all!

Just wondering have you thought about getting a credit card? The only reason I suggest this is you are going abroad and having a credit card can come in very handy in an emergency.

Keith

OK, you do not have a credit card. First mistake for someone travelling internationally.

Your bank does not do TCs. Ok, go to a bank that does.

It is not that difficult.

Just wondering have you thought about getting a credit card? The only reason I suggest this is you are going abroad and having a credit card can come in very handy in an emergency.

Keith

Nah, even if I applied and was approved today, no way I get it on time. If I would have known maybe 28 days out, I may have thought about it.

Nah, even if I applied and was approved today, no way I get it on time. If I would have known maybe 28 days out, I may have thought about it.

Actually most of my cards come within 7 business days at this point. So it's extremely possible you could get it on time. But the reality is if you don't have any existing cards it's not likely anyone is going to give you a credit limit higher than $500 as you have seriously probably your credit score by not having one and showing the ability to be responsible with one.

As for where to get a travel visa card or travelers checks, the most obvious answer is AAA and they will do it for non members. I highly recommend their travel visa, I have used it on 2 cruises now.

Archived