Proper Attire On Non-Formal Nights??

I would be curious to see a recent Voyager Compass to see if this is reflected there as well. :)

Just checked the Compasses. Only states formal, smart casual, casual - no definition.

I am not an advocate for shorts in the dining room. I just know that on all my previous cruises I have never seen anyone turned away for wearing shorts and that includes tablemates on more than one occasion. The signs I have seen outside the dining room always before included shorts as not allowed and I just thought it was interesting that this time it didn't. That's why I took the picture. My first thought was "they couldn't lick'em so they joined 'em".

I am clueless as how to dress on these nights. I am 17 so I don't feel as if I will be judged too harshly-would a nike shirt and nice khaki shorts be acceptable? I am REALLY not a polo guy so I was just wondering. For formal nights, I will be doing a button down w/ tie, dress pants and dress shoes. Please let me know!

Bless your heart for being concerned...Your Mom & Dad must be proud of you - I sure wld be if u were my 'kin' - they raised u well!

Not so clueless - must be a natural when it comes to fashion sense - your attire sounds perfectly comfortable although 'shorts' aren't normally worn in the MDR or encouraged either..and it cld be for this reason: :D

MDRs tend to be a bit chilly wherever the ship sails and air seems to circulate stronger at the floor level also for some reason at least in my experience and 'goosebumps' aren't becoming and neither is 'shivering'...:D

Just something to consider...hope this helps u decide..

Have a great cruise!

I am clueless as how to dress on these nights. I am 17 so I don't feel as if I will be judged too harshly-would a nike shirt and nice khaki shorts be acceptable? I am REALLY not a polo guy so I was just wondering. For formal nights, I will be doing a button down w/ tie, dress pants and dress shoes. Please let me know!

Yes on both.

RCI appears to be catching up with the times and understanding that long pants are more expensive to transport than shorts. (in terms of weight). Last week on the Serenade shorts weren't allowed on the two formal nights and I think one other night. Beyond that, the only things not allowed were tank tops, bare feet, and hats.

OP: My DS is now 18 and has been cruising for 10 yrs. On casual nights he now wears a super dark wash jean, no whiskers, no streaking of any sort, no holes or wear, they look fabulous. He wears them with either a button down collared shirt (sleeves rolled, picture abercrombie) and nice shoes. Sometimes he will put on the jacket from his suit. I have to admit he always looks fabulous! Some will hint to not pack jeans either because of the weight or the Caribbean climate, but truth is that on board the climate is air conditioned. I wouldn't wear shorts, I wouldnt let me kids wear shorts, it just doesn't belong in a dining room. and, to the folks who consistently refer to church clothes, that's way too vague a reference when a huge amount of people, in general either have never even been inside a church or don't practice going.

I just posted this on another thread. Just off Allure. Did not see a sign outside the MTD but in the copass everyday it listed the dress code. On casual night it said short pants, bare feet, caps or tank tops are prohibited in the MDR and specialty restuarants. Obviosly people don't read or don't care because there were alot of men in shorts on casual night. No bare feet or tanks though! The specialty restaurants will not let you in in shorts and tell you that when you book on board.

I just posted this on another thread. Just off Allure. Did not see a sign outside the MTD but in the copass everyday it listed the dress code. On casual night it said short pants, bare feet, caps or tank tops are prohibited in the MDR and specialty restuarants. Obviosly people don't read or don't care because there were alot of men in shorts on casual night. No bare feet or tanks though! The specialty restaurants will not let you in in shorts and tell you that when you book on board.

Agreed - and the sign was likely left from breakfast/lunch and not intended for dinner. It always amazes me that people complain about packing those "heavy" khakis but have no problem with denim jeans that weigh a ton.

shorts are fine on casual nights. matching sport shirt completes your ensemble.

only thing missing for formal night is your jacket.

See, that's the problem. People who only care about me, me, me - it's my vacation so to heck with the rest of you and certainly rules do not apply to me, me, me.

How is someone else choosing to wear shorts a problem? A strict dress code means absolutely nothing, as there are very few land-restaurants and not many churches that focus entirely on someone's attire. I'll continue to follow the suggested dress code, but it is not a problem if the guy at the next table would prefer to wear a dressy pair of shorts. In fact, if I get back late from an excursion, I just may wear a nice pair of shorts myself.

From the logic used by many on these boards, if one absolutely insists of abiding by and enforcing a strict dress code, there are plenty of specialty restaurants on board.

So, I guess that I need to share with you all.......at a Captains Table in November of last year, on a Formal Night, and if you need to see it, I can probably scan the picture given to us all after the dinner, a lady (Lady???) was dressed in a pink T-shirt, the material almost see thru......so that her bra showed....(thank goodness it was white).........so.....

It seems to me........it does not matter any more what anyone says about anything except trying to smuggle booze.......anyone can get away with anything they want.

To the OP........thanks for asking an intelligent question about the dress code in the MDR. You appear to be more mature than some that are just going to flaunt the attitude.....

And attitudes are just that, some very immature. Your's I find to be quite mature for a person of your age!

Thanks for posting the question......as this thread has been both interesting and enlightening..........if I may use that word loosely.

You appear fairly wise for someone your age. My gut is that you will go far in life!!

Rick

So, I guess that I need to share with you all.......at a Captains Table in November of last year, on a Formal Night, and if you need to see it, I can probably scan the picture given to us all after the dinner, a lady (Lady???) was dressed in a pink T-shirt, the material almost see thru......so that her bra showed....(thank goodness it was white).........so.....

It seems to me........it does not matter any more what anyone says about anything except trying to smuggle booze.......anyone can get away with anything they want.

To the OP........thanks for asking an intelligent question about the dress code in the MDR. You appear to be more mature than some that are just going to flaunt the attitude.....

And attitudes are just that, some very immature. Your's I find to be quite mature for a person of your age!

Thanks for posting the question......as this thread has been both interesting and enlightening..........if I may use that word loosely.

You appear fairly wise for someone your age. My gut is that you will go far in life!!

Rick

Thanks Rick! I appreciate the advice everybody, I think some dressy shorts may do the trick a few times this trip. I will do both pants and shorts diffeent nights and see the reaction lol. I leave Thursday for Europe, keep it classy on here while I'm gone ;)

The younger generation has no idea what you mean ...

I hate to say this' date=' but do you pay attention to what people wearing to Church these days (ANYTHING goes) :rolleyes:

Ok, before you flame me, I do realize this is not the case for everyone. I am talking in general ... and I do know what I am talking about. ;)[/quote']

OK, joining you off topic here. Amen to that. Every Sunday I see people dressed in very casual shorts--people of all ages. I'm early fifties and just can't get used to it, lol.

OK, joining you off topic here. Amen to that. Every Sunday I see people dressed in very casual shorts--people of all ages. I'm early fifties and just can't get used to it, lol.

Was in St Patrick's cathedral last week for a wedding - black tie. Was very nice. Went back the following day just to do a little tourist stuff (when you live close to NYC you don't usually take in the sights) and DURING MASS people were wearing shorts and t-shirts.

To me, that is much more disturbing than anything worn in the MDR lol. I pretty much have a "whatever" attitude when it comes to what people wear in the MDR - for the most part. But I really wouldn't expect anything less than a suit at St Patricks!!! Growing up everyone wore suits to a catholic mass in any church. And I don't consider myself old school just yet - I'm 31. So... the world is changin! Parenting is where the change is happening!

I hate to say this' date=' but do you pay attention to what people wearing to Church these days (ANYTHING goes) :rolleyes:[/quote']

I hear you both, and I would also quote James 2:1-4 here. Most anything goes in church these days you're right, so I guess it can't really be used as a guideline, but I think we all know what that poster meant who said it. :)

With all due respect, A LOT of people wear shorts to church at my church (which is considered A VERY NICE CHURCH). The world is changing and although I normally wear slacks to church, see nothing wrong with a nice pair of khaki shorts on sunday morning.

With all due respect, A LOT of people wear shorts to church at my church (which is considered A VERY NICE CHURCH). The world is changing and although I normally wear slacks to church, see nothing wrong with a nice pair of khaki shorts on sunday morning.

Yes, indeedy. And as a clergy-type person, I have to say I think God has bigger things to worry about when God gets up in the morning.....

Fran in Corner Brook

Archived