Nicest Beach hotel in Ft Lauderdale

steveandjen

Hello. We will be down in FLL pre-cruise from May 2-6. We are looking for something very nice on the beach. (less than $325 per night) I have looked at trip advisor, etc and just cannot find anything. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

Okay, my first choice is in Hollywood, which is just south of Fort Lauderdale.

The Westin Diplomat is right on the beach with two pools and it is awesome! It is without a doubt the nicest hotel at which we have ever stayed. We have booked it on Priceline and got it for $144 a night in late January/early February which includes taxes and fees. You have to bid for a four star hotel in Hollywood.

They have a trolley which runs every half hour further up the beach and/or to town. The parking (valet only) is pricey. I believe that it is $24 per night, so that may need to be considered.

The restaurants are expensive ($14 for a hamburger at the Sports Bar), but there are numerous places within trolley or driving distance and a couple within walking distance.

Some folks are afraid of using Priceline (and that included us up until last year), but don't be a wimp and take William Shatner's advice!;)

I like Marriott Harbor Beach if you want to be right on the beach in Fort Lauderdale. I understand that Lago Mar is very nice too, but I haven't been there; I do know that it is not a reasonable walk to anything. Marriott is a bit of a far walk to things but it is doable. Westin Diplomat is the most elegant modern hotel right on the beach, but it is in Hollywood, about 8 miles south of Fort Lauderdale.

A poster who hasn't been around here in a while is a fan of going up to Lauderdale by the Sea if you have a few days to kill. I've never been up there, and I've never had more than a day to kill, so I haven't personally looked into it, but it might be worth looking at. Maybe some of the locals on here might want to offer up advice on that.

Marriot Beach Resort and Lago Mar have the added benefit of being a very short walk down the beach to the port inlet, if watching ships come and go from up close was something you wanted to do. However your time of year is quite quiet there, but there is still the Oasis on the 5th.

Hello. We will be down in FLL pre-cruise from May 2-6. We are looking for something very nice on the beach. (less than $325 per night) I have looked at trip advisor, etc and just cannot find anything. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi,

For those dates in 2012, on Hotwire they are

showing a 4 star for $98 a night it will be the

Westin but you may have to upgrade from the

Golf location,

The Westin Diplomat is probably one of the best

hotels we have stayed in, you will probably get it

on Priceline for about $85.

We got it for $125 next March for our post cruise

stay, the area has enough places to eat and

the trolley bus stops right outside.

Hope this helps.

You guys are all great. Thank you for the advice so far. Please keep it coming. We are trying to decide on the Lago Mar, Atlantic, Hilton or Westin Diplomat. Marriott, and Ideally we would want something new and modern but it looks like there is nothing new in Ft Lauderdale. We will have a car so distance should not be an issue. I was doing more homework last night and it seems like every hotel does NOT offer chairs/umbrellas for the beach. You need to rent them from the city. ($10 per chair or $25 for 2 chairs & umbrella) Argh.

You guys are all great. Thank you for the advice so far. Please keep it coming. We are trying to decide on the Lago Mar, Atlantic, Hilton or Westin Diplomat. Marriott, and Ideally we would want something new and modern but it looks like there is nothing new in Ft Lauderdale. We will have a car so distance should not be an issue. I was doing more homework last night and it seems like every hotel does NOT offer chairs/umbrellas for the beach. You need to rent them from the city. ($10 per chair or $25 for 2 chairs & umbrella) Argh.

The Westin Ft Lauderdale Beach has beds available on the beach and provides towels when we stayed last year there was no charge

Not only did we have sunbeds on the beach at the Marriott but there was a little flag on the side you could raise if you wanted someone to come by for food and beverage service. That way they are not pestering you if you just want to lie there quietly.

The Hilton and W were built brand new about 3 yrs ago. The Atlantic and Ritz Carlton were built brand new a couple of years before that. The Westin was completely renovated 2 yrs ago but it doesn't have balconies. These are all across the street from the beach. My favorite of these is the W. The Atlantic is nice but is too far from everything IMO. The Marriott Harbor Beach is a bit out of the way but actually has a really nice beach.

I was just at the Westin Diplomat this last weekend for a conference and it is great! Beautiful and well run. In fact, this is the second time I have been there and am even more impressed now than the first time. Across the street (Ocean Drive) via covered bridge is another hotel area called the Landing, featuring two restaurants and an outdoor bar/lounge right by the intercoastal. One if these restaurants is called Aizia but pronounced Asia. We had the most superb halibut dish we have ever had anywhere. The hotel has a 15% discount for this restaurant and two others here: http://www.diplomatresort.com/text Yes, the hotel is pricey, but it offers so much.

i didn't love the westin in FLL....weird...2 buildings, ONLY valet parking...took forever to get car....not really clean enough...(i was a housekeeping manager, i notice stuff others may not..)

The Harbor beach hotel was just redone last year and it is lovely...plus they got all new lobby furniture too...one of my faves...

The Hilton and W were built brand new about 3 yrs ago. The Atlantic and Ritz Carlton were built brand new a couple of years before that. The Westin was completely renovated 2 yrs ago but it doesn't have balconies. These are all across the street from the beach. My favorite of these is the W. The Atlantic is nice but is too far from everything IMO. The Marriott Harbor Beach is a bit out of the way but actually has a really nice beach.

I wouldn't call it out of the way...granted there isn't as much "stuff" around as the westin/hilton/w etc....ok there isn't anything around except the hotel, but it is well located in Ft Lauderdale....i understand what you mean.....i think that maybe my allergies are affecting my comprehension or interpretation....if that makes sense.

(Not trying to argue at all, but i guess i am interpreting your wording differently and i an just trying to explain that while i wouldn't call it "out of the way" i understand what you're saying-not really near anything, but certainly not far provided you have a car or are willing to take a cab...

i'm staying at the westin dipolmat in feb for 2 nights and i have a guaranteed balcony room overlooking the ocean.... are you sure you're talking about the WESTIN DIPLOMAT in hollywood beach that doesn't have balcony's? :confused:

i'm staying at the westin dipolmat in feb for 2 nights and i have a guaranteed balcony room overlooking the ocean.... are you sure you're talking about the WESTIN DIPLOMAT in hollywood beach that doesn't have balcony's? :confused:

No, that post referred to the Westin on Fort Lauderdale beach, which has floor to ceiling windows that open, but no balconies.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi, Steve,

We stayed at the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood last November. Nicest hotel we've ever stayed in. I would definitely book this room. In your post you stated that you didn't want anything more than $325.00 a night, this hotel can certainly be gotten for less than that through internet sites. And if you have a car and need parking, as well and/or should you choose to rent a lounge chair on the beach, then you're still under your starting price per day. We got a GREAT rate of $84.00 plus taxes off of Hotwire. The sports bar across the street had reasonable prices on their food, not $14.00 for JUST a hamburger as stated above. And we also had COLD large draft beers for I belive $3.00 to go with our sandwich combos.

There's losts of restaurants within walking distance down the Boardwalk, that's providing you are capable of walking a short distance (1/2 mile at most, further if interested). Beautiful location!!!

Does the Lago Mar charge extra for beach access and beach chairs?

The Lago Mar is right on a beautiful beach and does not charge for access, but there is a small charge for chairs and umbrellas. We just used our towels. I love Lago Mar, the service is wonderful. It is very "old Florida" and is run by a family, not a corporation. It has two very nice pools, several choices for food, elegant dining, pool bar and restaurant, beach grill, or soda shoppe. I liked the pool bar for lunch, and the soda shoppe was great for a burger or sandwich near the pool. There is an 18 per cent gratuity on everything, but I think the Marriot Beach is the same, and their food is much more costly.

If you get an ocean view room, or want to leave your room at five in the morning and walk down to the beach, you can see your ship come into port. Really neat.

Lago Mar gets my vote every time.

Karen

The Lago Mar is right on a beautiful beach and does not charge for access, but there is a small charge for chairs and umbrellas. We just used our towels. I love Lago Mar, the service is wonderful. It is very "old Florida" and is run by a family, not a corporation. It has two very nice pools, several choices for food, elegant dining, pool bar and restaurant, beach grill, or soda shoppe. I liked the pool bar for lunch, and the soda shoppe was great for a burger or sandwich near the pool. There is an 18 per cent gratuity on everything, but I think the Marriot Beach is the same, and their food is much more costly.

If you get an ocean view room, or want to leave your room at five in the morning and walk down to the beach, you can see your ship come into port. Really neat.

Karen

Is it close or within walking distance to other things like shops or restaurants????

Is it close or within walking distance to other things like shops or restaurants????

Not a short walk, by any means. It's tucked into a residential area, and because of the lakes in that area, you have a meandering walk to get around them and onto 17th St. In measuring it out on Google Earth, it's about a mile and half over to where the Renaissance is, and the Quay Plaza is just past that. Google is showing bus stops just around the corner from the Lago Mar, so that might be an option to get to the commercial areas. I'm sure a cab would only be in the $10-15 range if you wanted to do that one or both ways.

http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=26.099184,-80.107241&spn=0.021351,0.038581&t=h&z=15

A poster who hasn't been around here in a while is a fan of going up to Lauderdale by the Sea if you have a few days to kill. I've never been up there, and I've never had more than a day to kill, so I haven't personally looked into it, but it might be worth looking at. Maybe some of the locals on here might want to offer up advice on that.

Marriot Beach Resort and Lago Mar have the added benefit of being a very short walk down the beach to the port inlet, if watching ships come and go from up close was something you wanted to do. However your time of year is quite quiet there, but there is still the Oasis on the 5th.

If you have a couple of days and you're looking to enjoy a non-tourist trap environment, relax in a somewhat slower pace, (Aruba does get rocking after 9:00, though) dine at unique restaurants (no chains) and shop at locally owned shops then the village of Lauderdale by the Sea is a great place. It's all very compact and you don't need a car except to get there. There are literally dozens of restaurants and shops within a 6 block radius of the intersection of Commercial Blvd and El Mar Drive.

You won't find any high rise Hiltons or Marriotts, but you will find some some incredible, small motels on the beach (I recommend High Noon Resort). If you have at least 3 days (because most have cleaning charges) then renting a condo might work for you.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/florida/south-east#a2631

Karen

Sounds perfect!

Archived