Laundry question for ladies

flyhelper

A kinda personal question: if you are Elite with complimentary laundry perks, how do you feel about sending your clothes to laundry, especially, uh, under-garments and bathing suits? If you used the service before, did your clothes come out with detergent smell?

I don't send those in, my delicates are delicate and I either wash them out myself or do a load of laundry in the self service laundry room if needed. Everything sent in is washed pretty much the same, and I treat my delicates a bit more delicate than they do. ;)

I don't send those in, my delicates are delicate and I either wash them out myself or do a load of laundry in the self service laundry room if needed. Everything sent in is washed pretty much the same, and I treat my delicates a bit more delicate than they do. ;)

Totally agree. OK for polo shirts, T shirts, shorts & trousers, etc. but I think that undies are far too personal. The laundry room it is.

On our first cruise, we got upgraded to a full suite :D so we had complimentary laundry service. My 'delicate' delicates didn't go, but everything else did, including the more utilitarian garments, shall we say. I am sensitive to scents and I don't recall any from the items that returned from the laundry. Just watch for the little fabric laundry tags they stick on everything. I was finding them for weeks after we got home. :o

Just watch for the little fabric laundry tags they stick on everything. I was finding them for weeks after we got home. :o

Ugh...those pesky little tags from the laundry. I also was finding them weeks after we got home, too.

We don't send our 'delicates' out either. I wash those in a self-serve machine the same day we send laundry out. There's just something about someone else touching my undergarments that just doesn't sit well with me. So bras, panties, underwear, socks, and bathing suits we do ourselves.

And just to add, many of mine do not see the inside of a hot dryer. Everything you send in will. So, think twice if what you are sending in has ever been dried in a hot drier, if it hasn't, I would take care of laundering it yourself. ;)

I have had no problem with sending my underwear. Most of it is cotton and I select clean not wash. Even my bras have come back perfect. So far there has not been one thing shrunk or ruined. And I have not noticed any detergent smell.

Am still finding tags on things.

A kinda personal question: if you are Elite with complimentary laundry perks, how do you feel about sending your clothes to laundry, especially, uh, under-garments and bathing suits? If you used the service before, did your clothes come out with detergent smell?

I don't send them out; do them by hand. At home I don't put them in the dryer, so I would not like the ship laundry to do it either.

I send everything..bras, panties, socks, etc. All have come back just fine...except as already noted, those pesky little tags. :o But then, I don't take anything REALLY delicate, or any clothes that need special treatment. It's hard enough to manage those at home; I'm not about to try to deal with it in a tiny cabin sink.

None of those items take up much room to pack, so bring enough for the entire trip. No sense in paying to have those things washed! Bathing suits don't need to be laundered everytime....simply rinse off after your last dip, and let them dry. Underwear, at least 3 weeks worth, should be able to fit in a shoe!!!! They are thin and don't take up much space at all.

None of those items take up much room to pack, so bring enough for the entire trip. No sense in paying to have those things washed! Bathing suits don't need to be laundered everytime....simply rinse off after your last dip, and let them dry. Underwear, at least 3 weeks worth, should be able to fit in a shoe!!!! They are thin and don't take up much space at all.

You think? LOL. How about when we were on the Sapphire for nine weeks? :D

You think? LOL. How about when we were on the Sapphire for nine weeks? :D

How funny! I thought of YOU as soon as I read that.

I do bras in the bathroom sink, undies and swimsuits in a washer and only send out sturdier stuff. I, too, have had great luck with Cleaning moreso than Laundry, but I do have tshirts and socks laundered. And pareos cleaned.

We always take a twisted clothesline with suction cups on each end which we stick on either wall of the cabin. It stays up the whole cruise. Perfect for drying the items I've handwashed and laundered myself.

I don't send my underwear down. BUT I do write DO NOT PUT IN THE DRYER - LEAVE DAMP on the slip with many of my things (I also don't use the dryer much at home- just a couple minutes on most things) I talked to the laundry head man (not sure of his title) on our ship's tour and asked if they follow instructions written on the slips and he said YES they do.

I send everything out and have never had a problem other than an occasional broken button on a shirt. They don't use hot water so I don't have anything that will shrink. If they did, I'd have been in deep doo-doo.

We have sent every thing out including our underwear since we became elite 10+ years ago. What a wonderful perk! It has always come back in great condition. They have followed special instructions when I have sent them. I don't like to do the laundry at home amd definitely not when I am on vacation!

Either I am very unlucky, or those of you that send everything out to the ships laundry are just lucky. I have had many delicate items ruined by the ships laundry in the past...........that is how I learned my lesson and never send anything out anymore that (as said previously) has not been washed and placed in a hot dryer at home first. ;)

Let's see, a of change underwear/bras twice a day, so that makes 16 bras and 16 pair of underwear for a 7 night cruise (include travel days). I may have 16 pair of underwear, but certainly do not have 16 bras in my drawer. Or, when we cruised the Med, we were gone 19 days, I'd need a suitcase just for underwear and bras :p

Hand wash in the sink, they are dry by night time, easy peasy. I take no more than 5 days worth, no matter the travel time. I would never trust the ships laundry to wash my delicates. Husbands cotton ones, yes.

We always take a twisted clothesline with suction cups on each end which we stick on either wall of the cabin. It stays up the whole cruise. Perfect for drying the items I've handwashed and laundered myself.

Is there not a clothesline in the bathroom?

I was hoping that there would be (first Princess cruise coming up next month:)) but then I suppose that only makes sense if you have a bath rather than a shower in the bathroom because a shower cubicle wouldn't be wide enough for the clothesline.

Is there not a clothesline in the bathroom?

I was hoping that there would be (first Princess cruise coming up next month:)) but then I suppose that only makes sense if you have a bath rather than a shower in the bathroom because a shower cubicle wouldn't be wide enough for the clothesline.

Yes there's a line, even in the tiny shower. However, I find things dry more quickly if you hang them out of the bathroom area.

Yes there's a line, even in the tiny shower. However, I find things dry more quickly if you hang them out of the bathroom area.

Pia is right, when I'd put my swimming suit on the line, it never seemed to dry. I usually would put things in the sun on one of the chairs on the balcony WHILE I was out there to give it a head start at drying and then hang them some place in the cabin. But do it daily so things don't pile up. Bring a few clothes pins along.

Pia is right, when I'd put my swimming suit on the line, it never seemed to dry. I usually would put things in the sun on one of the chairs on the balcony WHILE I was out there to give it a head start at drying and then hang them some place in the cabin. But do it daily so things don't pile up. Bring a few clothes pins along.

I use clothespin hangers; have had them for many years. You can hang them anywhere; my favorite is the area around the TV. Amazon has them, as do other places.

http://www.amazon.com/Clothes-Hooked-18-Pack-Hanger-Clothespins/dp/B0010XGKFU

Archived