Laundry question for ladies

flyhelper

I am not a lady but I have been doing the family laundry for the past 20yrs. I took over the job shortly after we were married when my wife left her lipstick in her pocket and my shirts came out of the dryer with passion pink marks all over them that never came out. I think this was a set up and if it was it worked. I have worked in the garment industry and in retail apparel for years. I am very conscience of the way garments should be laundered. If I was elite or had the free laundry as a suite perk I probably would never use it. My kids started doing their own wash now and I cringe when I see how they load the machine colors, darks, whites, nylon basketball shorts and denim all in the same load. One of my sons washed a towel with his dark pants. Needless to say he never did that again. I look the other way because it is one less thing for me to do. My wife is starting to do her own wash now also. I guess my production has gotten too slow for her.

None of those items take up much room to pack, so bring enough for the entire trip. No sense in paying to have those things washed! Bathing suits don't need to be laundered everytime....simply rinse off after your last dip, and let them dry. Underwear, at least 3 weeks worth, should be able to fit in a shoe!!!! They are thin and don't take up much space at all.

Might depend on shoe size, underwear size.... or Both!

You think? LOL. How about when we were on the Sapphire for nine weeks? :D

Do the math, that's 3 shoes, so you would even have room for some spares!

Let's see, a of change underwear/bras twice a day, so that makes 16 bras and 16 pair of underwear for a 7 night cruise (include travel days). I may have 16 pair of underwear, but certainly do not have 16 bras in my drawer. Or, when we cruised the Med, we were gone 19 days, I'd need a suitcase just for underwear and bras :p

Hand wash in the sink, they are dry by night time, easy peasy. I take no more than 5 days worth, no matter the travel time. I would never trust the ships laundry to wash my delicates. Husbands cotton ones, yes.

Really!?

I think one has to seriously consider going commando, it would seem to be a lot less stressful.

We never use the clothesline in the shower. Things just don't dry that quickly, and we would end up taking still wet items down to shower, then putting them back up after, etc. Plus, I have a thing about hanging freshly washed clothes on a line that people have hung wet, unwashed swimsuits on. I bought our line 11 years ago for a trip through Europe. It and two inflatable hangers (also great) go with me on every trip of more than a couple of days.

I am not a lady but I have been doing the family laundry for the past 20yrs. I took over the job shortly after we were married when my wife left her lipstick in her pocket and my shirts came out of the dryer with passion pink marks all over them that never came out. I think this was a set up and if it was it worked. I have worked in the garment industry and in retail apparel for years. I am very conscience of the way garments should be laundered. If I was elite or had the free laundry as a suite perk I probably would never use it. My kids started doing their own wash now and I cringe when I see how they load the machine colors, darks, whites, nylon basketball shorts and denim all in the same load. One of my sons washed a towel with his dark pants. Needless to say he never did that again. I look the other way because it is one less thing for me to do. My wife is starting to do her own wash now also. I guess my production has gotten too slow for her.

Mike, my Mike wouldn't even know which button to push. You are well trained. At least my Mike can set up the coffee pot at night. ;)

I never send out delicates, either. But I don't hesitate to send out sturdy items, which equates to just about all of DH's attire, and not very much of mine. I run mine through on the gentlest cycle in the laundry room, and dry some in the dryers, take some out while damp and hang to finish drying, hang others up directly from the washing machine.

I wash the salt and/or chlorine out of my bathing suit in the shower while wearing it, and try to get it dry out on the balcony.

Ginger

We have been using Princess laundry since we became Elite. We don't send out bathing suits or very delicate clothes (such as bras). Everything else has gone and comes back in good shape.

We fought the "tag" battle, and now take them off every item right after the clothes come back from the laundry - before mixing them in with the rest of our clothes.

Suggestion for hanging things in the room - suction cups with hooks. You can get them in any hardware store and they stick to the mirrors or glass covered pictures in the cabin. A bit messy, but things dry faster than in the bathroom.

Love the elite laundryperk and we make full use of it. If it's cotton underwear we send it to the laundry; everything else we send for cleaning; if it's silk we handwash; if it can't stand a hot dryer, we send a note. Bathing suits we wash by hand. Since they introduced the water-based cleaning we have practicaly everything cleaned.

Whether we are on a 2 week cruise or a 9 week cruise we pack the same amount of clothes because we have the laundry perk.

The little tags can be a nuisance. If it is attached to the elastic band on underwear it can become a permanent tag.

Too bad Princess doesn't just use the permanent tags like those for staff for elites so we wouldn't have to spend so much time trying to get the pesky little things from the clothes. Sometimes you can't find them all!

Mike, my Mike wouldn't even know which button to push. You are well trained. At least my Mike can set up the coffee pot at night. ;)

As a man, it is important to be able to press the right buttons.

I as a previous poster claims, does all the washing and I object to the sexist sterotype that suggest any difficulty with this.

Wouldn't you know with my luck I would be married to a tea drinker. I have to set up the coffee pot also.

I send out my "delicates" to the laundry. But truth be told, they are not all that delicate. I don't take silk or such on a cruise; nylon works just fine and it launders through Princess just fine, too. I've not had any problems.

What is the purpose of the tags everyone is talking about?

They are small tags (about 3/8"x3/4") that identify your clothing after it is washed with everyone else's. They are very sticky and a little poke-y (I found one on the shirt I was wearing just yesterday), and have been known to bleed ink on to some fabrics.

Agree with not sending out much laundry. We are Elite also, but I just don't want anything ruined. Now, I have to say I've sent out some of my husbands clothes like jeans and his shorts, but not mine. After they ruined my daughters t-shirts, we learned not to send much out anymore. The shirts all came back shaped strangely. Have no idea what they did, but what a mess. So I would rather take time and wash when on our longer cruises than take a chance.

We are Elite too and at first I was wary about sending my smalls but if you are on a hot weather cruise and need a lot of changes it makes sense to just send them. I have not had a problem.

I think if I had silk I would wash them myself in the sink.

I agree about the tags. They break your nails, trying to pull them off, and leave ink marks sometimes.

Archived