Who cancelled a cruise because of the new smoking policy?

LucyR.

I am trying to cancell my Oct. 30, 2011, cruise because of the Carnival new smoking policy as of June 15, 2011. Carnival doesn't want to cancel my cruise. I know for a fact that some people here have been able to

cancel their cruise for Nov.11, 2011....because of the new smoking policy that took affect as of June 15,2011.

I have not been sucessful in canceling my cruise. I need HELP!

I booked through a Travel agency. He told me the Carnival resolution dept. would not approve my canceling without causing me to have to pay penalties. According to John Herald sp we are allowed to cancel cruises earlier than december.

Does anybody have any new information?

I really need advise. Comedians and looky loos please don't make fun of me or lecture me. THANK YOU. Lucy R.

I am trying to cancell my Oct. 30, 2011, cruise because of the Carnival new smoking policy as of June 15, 2011. Carnival doesn't want to cancel my cruise. I know for a fact that some people here have been able to

cancel their cruise for Nov.11, 2011....because of the new smoking policy that took affect as of June 15,2011.

I booked through a Travel agency. He told me the Carnival resolution dept. would not approve my canceling without causing me to have to pay penalties. According to John Herald sp we are allowed to cancel cruises earlier than december.

I really need advise. Comedians and looky loos please don't make fun of me or lecture me. THANK YOU. Lucy R.

I booked 3 new ones !!!!!!!

Do you think its because the full smoking policy does not go into effect until 12/1/11? You can still smoke in your cabin until then.

Im not canceling, but still thinking I might be going solo as its the roomie not me who smokes.

Did your TA tell them you were a smoker?? That should be enough to cancel. Maybe ask your TA to do a 3 way call to make sure she is getting the right answers. Forward what John said to them. (Im assuming you are a smoker).

The problem is its my booking, and just happen to have a roomie who smokes, so I cant really claim to be a smoker anyway, since Im not.

Here is John's direct quote from facebook "I hate to say this but if regardless of the fact that smokers still have options indoors and outdoors to smoke on ecvery ship yet still want to cancel and havue used early saver you have until June 30, 2011 to do so. Please think though before you do wont you. I am a smoker, I understand but there are more places for me to smoke on a Carnival ship than most if not all land resorts and hotels and other lines"

maybe you can copy this quote or print it from John's facebook page then show it to your travel agent. We are smokers and this is a bit of a tick off for us:mad:,but not enough to cancel our vacation due to it!

Your cruise is BEFORE the new cabin smoking policy goes into effect so you may want to rethink the cancel if this is the cruise you wanted.

I am a smoker and I do not relly see much difference until December except for the Piano Bar. For me the Dec change does not matter because I would never smoke in my cabin anyway (I don't smoke in my home or car) and only smoke on the balcony when I have one.....which will still be permitted.

ALSO..... it still seems like Carnival has more places to smoke than other Cruiselines do anyway. You should check that out before you cancel becaue you may find that Carnival is still the best option for you

why would you cancel your cruise? don't all the other cruise lines have the same smoking policy? actually i'm thinking the other cruise lines have a stricter (sp) smoking policy than carnival's :confused:

NCL is the one all the smokers I know are moving to. NCL is going to get a lot of new business.

Didn't cancel my March BC5 cruise but did book two different lines instead of Carnival for upcoming cruises...since they all have basically the same smoking policy...gonna try out something different :)

I think the only change that went into effect immediatly was no smoking in the Piano Bar ..You must have some other reason of wanting to cancel....Maybe your TA would lose her booking fees.....Dennis

It seems Carnival is saying only cruises sailing after Dec 1 are the ones without penalty. There are a lot of people running into that. Carnival doesn't see the June changes as significant enough to cancel without penalty... I know John H said otherwise on Facebook, but customer service isn't necessarily honoring that...

Good luck!

Your cruise is BEFORE the new cabin smoking policy goes into effect so you may want to rethink the cancel if this is the cruise you wanted.

I am a smoker and I do not relly see much difference until December except for the Piano Bar. For me the Dec change does not matter because I would never smoke in my cabin anyway (I don't smoke in my home or car) and only smoke on the balcony when I have one.....which will still be permitted.

ALSO..... it still seems like Carnival has more places to smoke than other Cruiselines do anyway. You should check that out before you cancel becaue you may find that Carnival is still the best option for you

We need a like button on here! I do however ask the cabins beside us if it would bother them if we smoke when they are out. I have always found if you ask they are usually ok with it , or they just head back into their cabin , if they do not want to be around you when you smoke. I do look forward too having my morning coffee and smoke on the balcony. If they do as Princess lines have done and change being able to smoke on the balcony , that will be when I look at other options for vacations.

I do understand some do not get a balcony , but I find the smoking options are still acceptable compared to the laws for smoking that have been put into place in most areas, ( in Canada you are not allowed to smoke if you have a passenger in the car under the age of 16 and you are not allowed to smoke within 9 meters of any doorway, nor are you allowed to smoke while standing under a awning or overhang of any type). With the laws in effect I am not going to move because of them!

Op ... I wish you the best of luck with making the right choice that is best for you. If you do decide to go ahead and go ...have a great time!

NCL is the one all the smokers I know are moving to. NCL is going to get a lot of new business.

If NCL gets flooded by smokers they will lose non smokers who make up 90% of the customers base......and the average income of a smoker vs a non-smoker is a variable I can assure you the actuaries at Carnival took into consideration when they made these changes. NCL may see a short term bump, but with the added costs associated with maintenance and the inevitable migration of higher income non-smokers you will see a similar policy change at NCL.

Thank you all for your advise and information. I booked an Early Saver cruise. I found out that a cruise critic member was able to cancel a Sept. 20,2011 cruise. Plus, there was another cc member who was able to cancel her cruise directly with Carnival with no penalties. I think there are others too who have cancelled.

The manager at my travel agency said that I would need proof that other people have been able to cancel their booked cruises before Dec.1,2011.

I don't have any real proof. I only have user names of 4 cc members who have canceled their cruises.

I have already been able to cancel two Carnival future cruises for 2012.

I plan to call my T.A. tomorrow and ask again if I can cancel my cruise with no penalties.

John Heald said anyone with EARLY SAVER (who have cruises AFTER DEC 1st) is going to be allowed to cancel by June 30th without any penalty. Anyone who has a cruise OUTSIDE the penalty phase... can cancel without a penalty.

However, anyone inside their penalty phase and has a cruise BEFORE December 1st can not cancel without a penalty because no significant changes in policy have been made.

Carnival has changed PUBLIC designated smoking areas multiple times over the years. That is not an allowable reason to cancel with no penalty...even if you smoke.

Thank you all for your advise and information. I booked an Early Saver cruise. I found out that a cruise critic member was able to cancel a Sept. 20,2011 cruise. Plus, there was another cc member who was able to cancel her cruise directly with Carnival with no penalties. I think there are others too who have cancelled.

The manager at my travel agency said that I would need proof that other people have been able to cancel their booked cruises before Dec.1,2011.

I don't have any real proof. I only have user names of 4 cc members who have canceled their cruises.

I have already been able to cancel two Carnival future cruises for 2012.

I plan to call my T.A. tomorrow and ask again if I can cancel my cruise with no penalties.

Good luck. I have tried since day one to cancel one of the girls in my party. I too needed proof. First they wanted screen shots of what John Heald said, so I sent them two different days. Then they still said no. Then my PVP said if I had the last name and sail date of someone that cancelled w/o penalty before Sept 1, he could get mine cancelled, so I posted asking, but no one replied.

Hope you get yours back.

We were in the process of trying to talk our son into trying Celebrity for a B2B in January.....

now we can stay with Carnival where he is comfortable!! woo hoo

Archived