Night owls...will we bother other pax?

s&l

People, people...

Of course, we will have headphones along. Can't very well read on the flight over to Rome without them now can we? I simply don't respond well to "suggestions" from folks that feel more important than others.

S&L

People, people...

Of course, we will have headphones along. Can't very well read on the flight over to Rome without them now can we? I simply don't respond well to "suggestions" from folks that feel more important than others.

S&L

If this is not a joke then you can expect to be visited by security if the noise is bothering anyone on the sides above or below you. Someones music is noise to others. Have agreat time.:o

People, people...

S&L

I believe it was you who asked for suggestions.

My wife and I are night owls (generally go to bed between 3 and 5 am) and while we aren't really all that noisy, I was wondering if late night music, TV, or balcony games would bother other pax? We've never been on a cruise and don't know how "sound proof" cabins are. We'll be on the Marina in November.

Also, is there ANYTHING happening on the ship at that time of night? Are you allowed to sit up on deck, say by the pool? Any place to get refreshments other than room service?

Thanks,

S&L

It's rather refreshing to have our "leg pulled." S&L appears not to care when people are trying to offer good advice.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean by "balcony games?" Perhaps we have been missing something which Oceania could promote as activities avaialble on their cruises.

It's rather refreshing to have our "leg pulled." S&L appears not to care when people are trying to offer good advice.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean by "balcony games?" Perhaps we have been missing something which Oceania could promote as activities avaialble on their cruises.

Sadly (I'm getting old), I thought that he meant charades, or catch phrase :p

On a more serious note (If one exists!), all balcony doors have a sticker stating that the doors must be closed at all times or the AC will not work properly. I believe they also have a self closing feature.

If you try and prop them open with furniture or, as some have suggested, bungee cords to "sleep with the door open" they will bang back and forth all night keeping EVERYONE awake. (We have experienced this)

Also they tend to lock if they slam shut and we had one incident of a passenger being locked on his balcony and having to wait until someone came out on their balcony to get help. Crew says it happens from time to time. Be careful or you may spend the night out there!

I believe they also have a self closing feature. No they do not at least in any cabins we have had

If you try and prop them open with furniture or, as some have suggested, bungee cords to "sleep with the door open" they will bang back and forth all night keeping EVERYONE awake. We did have the door open on Marina no problem

Also they tend to lock if they slam shut and we had one incident of a passenger being locked on his balcony and having to wait until someone came out on their balcony to get help. Crew says it happens from time to time. Be careful or you may spend the night out there!

I had a hard time closing the door so I cannot imagine it sliding shut on it's own;)

Maybe his spouse locked him out:D

Lyn

On Marina, our balcony door was not self-closing; it was heavy and definitely didn't slide on its own. We often left it partially open at night to enjoy the sounds of the ocean.

On another door note, the closet doors in Marina's verandah cabins are held closed by magnets. When the closet door is opened, a switch pops up and the closet light (consisting of two short fluorescent tubes) goes on. Most of the time there's no problem, but (as we discovered one night) in rolling seas, the magnets don't always hold, so every time the ship pitched a bit, the door would slide open, turning on the light. We ended up taping down the pop-up switch so the light would stay off when the door opened. Hopefully this problem will be addressed at some point

I really think this guy is pulling legs. We did try to tape our closet doors to keep the lights off and it worked for a spell. Then the closet doors fell off.....We laugh about it now. but...I still think this whole thread is a joke. J

Maybe "balcony games" is what the passengers in the cabin next to ours where doing when they left the balcony light on all night & day for 20 days. Even when I ask the cabin attendant to turn if off, which he did it would be back on again at dusk. I had to close the curtains in the end as it reflected in the mirror. We like to leave the curtains open to let in some natural light.

My wife and I are night owls (generally go to bed between 3 and 5 am) and while we aren't really all that noisy, I was wondering if late night music, TV, or balcony games would bother other pax? We've never been on a cruise and don't know how "sound proof" cabins are. We'll be on the Marina in November.

Thanks,

S&L

I think it's wonderful that you are concerned about how your non-standard daily (...or nighly) routine will affect your fellow shipmates! I wish all passengers were this considerate. I have found Oceania travelers to be more considerate of this than those on a few other cruise lines I've been on.

Here are a couple of observations from an earlybird, and a light sleeper, point of view:

- Sounds from your balcony can be heard by people to the left and right of you, not just above and below you.

- From the balcony, music isn't the only sound that travels. Sounds that others can hear include normal conversational talking, talking on a cell phone, and the sliding of the chairs and table around.

- The doors to your balcony are very heavy. Sometimes simply sliding the door open or closed can be heard by someone lying in bed in surrounding cabins.

- The inside door from the hallway to your stateroom closes itself, and frequently with quite a bang that can be heard by guests next to you or across the hall from you. Stellar travelers close their door gently by hand rather than letting it slam shut, especially at night.

- The walls between cabins are surprisingly well insulated for sound. But it isn't completely soundproof. The television can be heard next door if it is turned up loud. During the quiet of night, it can be heard next door at lower volumes than during the not-as-quiet daytime. Another sound that can carry past the soundproofing is the opening and closing of drawers and cupboards.

On a cruise, I am accepting of much of the noise in my stateroom neighborhood. That simply comes with cruising. But, being an earlybird/light sleeper, I am one of those people who WOULD be bothered by an adjacent night owl if they weren't very considerate of their noise. My normal and preferred sleeping hours are 10:00pm - 5:00am.

Have a great cruise; it will be a fun way to spend your 25th anniversary!

On a recent TA on the Insignia, our next door neighbors decided to have a party in their room at midnight; which kept us up. Within ten minutes of calling Guest Services, security knocked on the door of that cabin and the party was over!!

We are always considerate of our next door neighbors, especially at night: very low volume TV, quietly opening and closing drawers and closet doors, and also not flushing toilet after midnight.

We appreciate if others would also be as considerate.

I think it's wonderful that you are concerned about how your non-standard daily (...or nighly) routine will affect your fellow shipmates! I wish all passengers were this considerate. I have found Oceania travelers to be more considerate of this than those on a few other cruise lines I've been on.

Here are a couple of observations from an earlybird, and a light sleeper, point of view:

- Sounds from your balcony can be heard by people to the left and right of you, not just above and below you.

- From the balcony, music isn't the only sound that travels. Sounds that others can hear include normal conversational talking, talking on a cell phone, and the sliding of the chairs and table around.

- The doors to your balcony are very heavy. Sometimes simply sliding the door open or closed can be heard by someone lying in bed in surrounding cabins.

- The inside door from the hallway to your stateroom closes itself, and frequently with quite a bang that can be heard by guests next to you or across the hall from you. Stellar travelers close their door gently by hand rather than letting it slam shut, especially at night.

- The walls between cabins are surprisingly well insulated for sound. But it isn't completely soundproof. The television can be heard next door if it is turned up loud. During the quiet of night, it can be heard next door at lower volumes than during the not-as-quiet daytime. Another sound that can carry past the soundproofing is the opening and closing of drawers and cupboards.

On a cruise, I am accepting of much of the noise in my stateroom neighborhood. That simply comes with cruising. But, being an earlybird/light sleeper, I am one of those people who WOULD be bothered by an adjacent night owl if they weren't very considerate of their noise. My normal and preferred sleeping hours are 10:00pm - 5:00am.

Have a great cruise; it will be a fun way to spend your 25th anniversary!

Finally!!! Someone has actually realized that I was TRYING to be considerate!

We've never been on a cruise ship (heck we've never even seen a cruise ship in person before) so I thought I'd better ask. We did know that we'd be living in close proximity to others, but did not know if cruise ships were somehow designed/soundproofed to accommodate that.

One good thing to come out of this thread though...

I've realized that Oceania veterans are not as kind as I'd thought.

A lot of you just assumed that this was all some sort of joke. I assure you it wasn't and that I was just trying to gather information.

Heck some of you even suggested that Oceania wasn't the cruise line for us. If the responses I received are representative of the attitudes of the majority of Oceania passengers, then I would tend to agree.

However, I know that not all veterans are as rude since I did get some decent responses. And this particular response is EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for. It was nicely detailed and gave much insight into how careful we'll need to be.

Thanks so much BlewWater!!!!

We are always considerate of our next door neighbors, especially at night: very low volume TV, quietly opening and closing drawers and closet doors, and also not flushing toilet after midnight.

We appreciate if others would also be as considerate.

Wow, flushing is a problem?!?! Man, being our first cruise, I sure hope our bodies and the ocean don't fight too much, cause there's going to be some REALLY long nights if we can't flush. :)

S&L

I just figured it out: s&l is really SNL. That's Saturday Night Live!

HAHAHAHA...good one! It's actually Stacey and Leland, but thanks for the chuckle.

S&L

s&l

Take heart, most, perhaps 99% of Oceania passengers, are the nicest people you will ever meet.

I suspect most of us have done enough cruises that the concerns of a newbie seem possibly a little humorous. Perhaps we just assume most posters know the situation and the "rules".

In any event, do not abandon Oceania as I am sure you will have a great time as will your neighbors. Common sense should rule.

As to the toilet, again common sense rules. To put it delicately, if that is possible, if we do something inoffensive we wait till morning but a major problem requires quick action:D

Have a great anniversary.

Wow, flushing is a problem?!?! Man, being our first cruise, I sure hope our bodies and the ocean don't fight too much, cause there's going to be some REALLY long nights if we can't flush. :)

S&L

We've been away for a few weeks so I seem to have missed this thread. But not flushing after midnight?

Have to say ... well, let's just say that it never occurred to me that this would bother a neighbor!

Archived