Only 20kg luggage allowance?

alsa

We just got our. E- tickets for Manchester - Barcelona to sail on Ruby and it says 20kg luggage allowance - is this normal? Sure we got more last time.

Ours is 23kg (50.6lb), but maybe airlines are rounding the limit down. 20kg is equivalent to 44lb) and that's a big difference. I'd be thinking twice about packing formal wear.

We recently received our details for our forthcoming Star Princess cruise - 20k also. Me too - I thought it was more last time, although I could be getting confused with the 23k allowance for Caribbean:confused: It isn't a lot is it!

Have a great cruise

Glenda

We just got our. E- tickets for Manchester - Barcelona to sail on Ruby and it says 20kg luggage allowance - is this normal? Sure we got more last time.

Are you talking airline tickets? If so it is my experience that flights to Europe and Asia have a lower Kg allowance than travelling to Australia or USA for example, it also depends on the airline.

If you are talking about the ship...... really? I didn't know there was a limit, if that is the case we have more than tripled or quadrupled that many times LOL!

Are you talking airline tickets? If so it is my experience that flights to Europe and Asia have a lower Kg allowance than travelling to Australia or USA for example' date=' it also depends on the airline.

If you are talking about the ship...... really? I didn't know there was a limit, if that is the case we have more than tripled or quadrupled that many times LOL![/quote']

Yes, as far as I know, there is no limit for the ship...

We have had 20kg to Europe for many years now from Australia. Usually the airlines we use let you get away with 22kg, in fact we have never had to pay for excess baggage. It is hard work packing for a cruise though and one has to be very prudent. The first thing I do is work out the minimum amount of shoes I need as they weigh the most.

We have packing down to a fine art now though we have been travelling to Europe and the States since 1994 and in that time we have done a lot of land trips plus cruises.

Jennie

Who are you flying with? When Princess organised our flights they used KLM to Barcelona (via Amsterdam) & we had 23kg + 12kgs hand luggage.

Ruby is a fantastic ship and the itinerary is amazing. Just be prepared.... such a port intensive cruise is exhausting!!

Enjoy

Anyport

From the US to Barcelona - 50 pounds. On Veuling flight, Venice to Barcelona, 23 kg as well.

Don't forget the 20 lbs (9 kgs) limit for carry on bags. Although not enforced as often (at least in our experience), it's still there.

Three points here. First I would make sure I maximize the hand baggage allowance - check the size and weight allowed and make full use of it - 10kg of clothing for example is quite significant. Secondly, see if there are any options to increase your checked baggage allowance - paying in advance for this if it is available on your carrier will be cheaper than paying excess baggage charges once at the airport.

Finally it is because of situations like this that I prefer to arrange my own air travel. I then have control over what I am buying and can shop around. Many airlines have more generous baggage allowances or have the options to increase allowances. Like it or loathe it you get what you pay for with air travel these days - though having said that some carriers offer much better value than others for a similar price.

Hi There,

On our BA flight we had 20kg plus a carry on no weight limit, plus a lap top bag no limit, as such our carry on was so heavy we could only just lift it,

however by doing this wemust have had about an extra 20kg in the cabin

yours Shogun

There is no limit for luggage on the airlines, you only have to pay more. These days with fuel surcharges, charges for pillows, charges for exit seats etc Does it surprise you that baggage weight limits are creeping downward. I have seen 20kg limits on flights within North America as well, not just in Europe.

At least on Princess they have self-serve laundry.

Hi,

we're just back from the Star Princess Med. cruise flying from Manchester with Thomson Airlines and we only had 20kg plus 5kg for hand luggage.

Berwyn

yes, that sounds right for a budget airline. I just flew Paris-Rome for cruise. 3 week trip and both our suitcases were under 20kg with formal wear. Did our laundry 3 times on ship.

Thank you for all your posts!

We spoke to Princess on Friday and they said we are not even allowed to pay for excess baggage either!

Considering they advertise a 'Luxury Cruise with Formal Nights' - they are not making allowances for it!

This will be our 3rd Princess cruise - we did the same cruise but the other way around 3 years ago - Venice to Barcelona - and know for a fact that we had 23Kg each. I also know that flights to the Caribbean get more.

We have written an e-mail to Princess too - but don't expect much luck from that. Looks like we will be spending our holiday in the same clothes and with no shoes on our feet! - extremely difficult when we have 2 teenage daughters who have enough shoes and clothes to sink a ship - literally!!!!

Alsa x

It is Princess who determine what your luggage allowance will be - NOT the airline. They decide how much they are willing to pay and make a deal with the airline, who then allocate a luggage allowance dependent on how much Princess are willing to pay.

Gettingwarmer - wish we had done this. We have always booked through a travel agent and are a little 'frightened' to do it any other way. Maybe we will pluck up courage for our next cruise!

The weight limit on airlines varies by country . In USA ,Canada and international flights ( to/from USA & Canada ) is 20 kgs or 50lbs per bag.

Some places it's a total of fifty lbs( 20 kg) pert passenger. I would check with the airline or your travel agent. .It should also state weight limits and description where per bag or person

The big variation is carry on weight .

Example NA the limit is 10kg(20 lbs) . :cool:

To the UK & EU is only 2 kg(5 lbs).:mad:

The weight limit on airlines varies by country . In USA ,Canada and international flights ( to/from USA & Canada ) is 20 kgs or 50lbs per bag.

Some places it's a total of fifty lbs( 20 kg) pert passenger. I would check with the airline or your travel agent. .It should also state weight limits and description where per bag or person

The big variation is carry on weight .

Example NA the limit is 10kg(20 lbs) . :cool:

To the UK & EU is only 2 kg(5 lbs).:mad:

Weight restrictions for the UK are not 5lbs for carry on.

While we booked Air Transat for our flights to/fm LGW, we are on a Thomas Cook Airline codeshare flight from YYC.

The baggage allowances differ from one airline to the other and so do excess baggage charges. Thomas Cook allows for 1 piece of checked baggage (30kg/66lbs for Premium Class and 20kg/44lbs for Economy) and carry-on for both classes of travel is 5kg/11lbs. For travel it is your total weight for checkin that counts...no greater than the allowable limit. Extra kgs are CAD$20 per kilo ensuring that you don't want to be over your allowable checked baggage limit.

Charter carriers may and in many cases do have different baggage restrictions from scheduled carriers, but then again you pay the big bucks to fly the scheduled carriers (AC, UA, DL, AA, KL, etc).

Ciao for now!!!

Archived