Tips on embarkation/disembarkation

Tink56

You all have been an amazing source of information, but I haven't read a whole lot about embarkation/disembarkation tips. We are Vancouver to Whittier on the Diamond and had planned to arrive at the pier at 1:30/2pm for a 4:30pm sail-away time. Given what I have read about sometimes a long wait to board, is this cutting it close at all? Also, we were planning on carrying our own luggage off on our last day and not waiting for our deck to be called - do you recommend this and is if so, is there an optimal time to leave? Thanks everyone - only 12 more "sleeps"! :)

Getting there at 1:30 or 2, you will be after the big rush, so the lines should not be too bad. Even if there is a line, being on it by 2pm, you will have no problems.

If you are carrying off your luggage, you can get off pretty much when you want to. Just talk t the purser's desk during the cruise to get scheduled at the right time.

I've found that arriving between 12:30 and 1pm is after the rush with short lines. However, in all my Princess cruises, I've experienced a long line only once, and that was embarking in Buenos Aires which at the time had only makeshift check-in at the commercial ship terminal. Last January in San Pedro, we arrived at 12:20, checked in at 12:30, were onboard and in my cabin at 12:40, and my luggage arrived at 12:55pm. The latter was highly unusual but as I said, Princess has been far more efficient than any other cruise line with few, if any, waits.

You all have been an amazing source of information, but I haven't read a whole lot about embarkation/disembarkation tips. We are Vancouver to Whittier on the Diamond and had planned to arrive at the pier at 1:30/2pm for a 4:30pm sail-away time. Given what I have read about sometimes a long wait to board, is this cutting it close at all? Also, we were planning on carrying our own luggage off on our last day and not waiting for our deck to be called - do you recommend this and is if so, is there an optimal time to leave? Thanks everyone - only 12 more "sleeps"! :)

This is my home pier and you will be fine arriving by 2 p.m. There is only one other ship in port that day so you should have no problems. I prefer to carry my own luggage off no matter what the port or what time I debark. That way I don't have to worry about getting the bags out the night before or accidentally packing my next day's clothes away! Have a great cruise!;)

I'm also embarking at Vancouver and was wondering what the protocol is if you want to check in and then leave to tour Vancouver for a few hours. Can we drop our luggage, go through the embarkation process, and then go back into the city? Do we have to wait in line again with those waiting to board for the first time?

If you have plans in Vancouver, a tour or something that takes you to the ship, (and I do recommend these people: http://www.vancouvertours.com/ who have two tours that will pick you up at your hotel and drop you and your luggage that rides under the van, right at the cruise ship), then that's a good time. However, think about this:

You are paying for a 7 night cruise and you would like to think of that as 8 days, Saturday to Saturday, say. But in effect the last day is nothing but breakfast, and embarkation day if you cut it close to boarding time (don't forget the muster drill) will be only a partial day, too. So in order to get your full 7 days on a ship, you need to be ON the ship by lunch time. Do I make myself clear?

On my first Alaska cruise we were at the mercy of the cruise line, arriving in Anchorage on cruise/air and bused to the port arriving around 7:30 p.m. for a 9 p.m. departure. We were so tired we went straight to bed after eating, really missing an entire day on board. So I do not plan to do that again. I like to get to the pier early, but yes, sometimes there are long lines. But everyone is excited and anticipating the wonderful cruise ahead, so it's different from any other long line.

BTW if you are active in your roll call, they may want to wear something that will distinguish them from any other passengers and they will stand out, so you can have a meet and greet right in the line, or at least at the buffet at 2 p.m., or at sail away etc. Meet as many times as time allows. For two or three cruises we used Mardi gras beads. Wearing name tags that say Cruise Critic is a little ostentatious and not only gets funny looks but verbal questioning! So much fun to look for fellow travelers and better than just staring straight ahead. Be looking for the people you've been talking to!

I'm also embarking at Vancouver and was wondering what the protocol is if you want to check in and then leave to tour Vancouver for a few hours. Can we drop our luggage, go through the embarkation process, and then go back into the city? Do we have to wait in line again with those waiting to board for the first time?

When you arrive at the pier, you drop your tagged bags off with the longshoremen, proceed through security, U.S. customs then check in. If you leave after this point, you will have to clear back through Canada customs to go out, then start all over again on your return. Really not worth the time and effort. Instead, you could drop your bags off and then go back up to the street for a few hours BEFORE starting the embark process. Just make sure you are back in plenty of time because the pier closes one hour before sailing. Those doors are locked and no one comes in. Lots to see in the area for a few hours - enjoy Vancouver!:o

When you arrive at the pier, you drop your tagged bags off with the longshoremen, proceed through security, U.S. customs then check in. If you leave after this point, you will have to clear back through Canada customs to go out, then start all over again on your return.

Except on the return you can skip the check-in part of that and just go through security and US customs. Be sure to have your passports with you.

Obviously, there are many who didn't read your post. Understand you are doing your departure from YVR for a northbound cruise.

As others have said the earlier you arrive (1130 is even better to get there in the lineup) will allow you to spend a day on and getting to know the layout of your ship. Timings are OK but why not maximize your onboard time.

Understand you want to do a "walk off" early. As another poster has inquired...what are your plans once you get off the ship in Whittier?

Are you taking a Princess transfer?

Are you taking a Princess tour?

Are you going on a Princess land cruise to a lodge?

Are you on a private tour?

Are you on a private transfer?

Are you going directly to the airport?

WHAT?

FYI, there is absolutely nothing in Whittier and unless you have something organized it's one hell of a long crawl to Anchorage :rolleyes:. Coach transfers to the Convention Centre in town (ANC) are about an hour and 45 to two hours depending on the wait at the tunnel. Cars may make it in a little shorter time.

Please provide more info?

Ciao for now!!!

I'd like to know too why you are going to carry off your luggage. Dh and I did that once and will NEVER do it again. It was awful and not something to do unless you need to for a early flight or whatever. I'd rather go have a last breakfast in the MDR and enjoy my last few moments on the ship. :)

Princess is super efficient at embarking and disembarking procedures. There is a huge compliment of casual ground staff expediting your passage onto the ship. Arriving at the later time will usually means an even faster process.

I hope you only have one suitcase and a carry on for your disembark as it could be a problem otherwise.

Have a great cruise ...

When you arrive at the pier, you drop your tagged bags off with the longshoremen, proceed through security, U.S. customs then check in. If you leave after this point, you will have to clear back through Canada customs to go out, then start all over again on your return. Really not worth the time and effort. Instead, you could drop your bags off and then go back up to the street for a few hours BEFORE starting the embark process. Just make sure you are back in plenty of time because the pier closes one hour before sailing. Those doors are locked and no one comes in. Lots to see in the area for a few hours - enjoy Vancouver!:o

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Do you happen to know what time the longshoremen will start accepting luggage? We will be spending the previous night in a nearby hotel and would love to drop our bags after breakfast if possible and have more time to explore Vancouver.

Aha, aha, aha! This is exactly why I asked about carrying our luggage off! I thought if you could carry it off you should because then you spend less time waiting to be called. Am I totally wrong on this?? We have no tour but instead a transfer to Anchorage where we will pick up our rental car. No flight to catch until later that week. I am SO glad I asked this b/c it sounds like I was wrong. I had the impression you had to linger around but also be out of your cabin. What do you all suggest then? (can you tell I am a newbie??)

You have a Princess transfer to Anchorage, where you will pick up a rental car? Put your bags out, and Princess will put them on the a bus and you will see them again at the Egan Center in Anchorage, where the transfer drops you off, unless you are going straight to the airport. But they will straighten that out onboard. There is no reason to carry off your luggage, because there is no faster way to get to Anchorage than on the Princess bus. EM

Board as early as you can. We arrive at least an hour before boarding times. On Princess your cabin will be ready when you get on the ship so you can go directly to it and drop your carryon and test the bed. When getting off at the end of the cruise, you will be in a scheduled group of folks to get off based on the color of the tags on your luggage. Suites and handicapped get off first then all the rest. Suites get a note of which area to report to for demarcation first. Handy note, Bright colored straps and tags make it easy to spot in the storage area to pick out and then pass thru customs if needed. If you did a port transfer via bus to the airline, just go get on the bus as all your luggage will be there.

Aha, aha, aha! This is exactly why I asked about carrying our luggage off! I thought if you could carry it off you should because then you spend less time waiting to be called. Am I totally wrong on this?? We have no tour but instead a transfer to Anchorage where we will pick up our rental car. No flight to catch until later that week. I am SO glad I asked this b/c it sounds like I was wrong. I had the impression you had to linger around but also be out of your cabin. What do you all suggest then? (can you tell I am a newbie??)
It won't do you any good to walk off early if your bus is not for another hour or two. The first buses will be filled with pax who really do have early flights out of the airport and will go directly there. You will get a timetable and schedule a day or so before the end of the cruise, but even if your time is as late as 9 or 9:30, you can sleep in, vacate your cabin by 8, go have breakfast and then leisurely debark according to the schedule. There is really very little waiting around because you will know your debarkation scheduled time in advance and can plan accordingly.

With a Princess Transfer you will not be given the option to walk off even if you wanted to (and my question is IN WHITTIER WHY???). You will need to be out of your cabin by 8:00 AM but we were in the last Princess Transfer Group on our cruise last year and our time was about 9:00 AM. Disembarkation starts much earlier in Whittier as many are on land tours and need to get started. You will have little time to kill. As others have said, you won't see your checked bags until you reach the Egan Center. Pick up your rental car before you get your bags at the Egan Center.

As for YVR, if you are staying at one of the many hotels near the pier request late checkout or check your bag at the hotel and explore. By all means make certain to explore Robson Street which is an easy slightly uphill walk from the pier and surrounding hotels. We had rain the morning of our departure from YVR and needed to take a cab. The 3-4 block ride took almost 30 minutes and cost about $20 w/tip.

Folks, it is clear that some people keep their luggage to a minimum -- (let's say, one bag per hand, plus perhaps an over-the-shoulder bag) -- making it possible for them to perform self-disembarkation.

Now, given the above fact, we've been somewhat surprised that we've never see anyone mention a related subject on this Princess forum. What I'm referring to is carrying on ALL of one's bag, to avoid having to wait for a "checked" bag to get to one's stateroom.

We HATE having to wait for bags to be delivered, because we want to unpack IMMEDIATELY. Also, one sometimes hears horror stories of bags being misplaced for many hours.

What say you experienced Princessites about this? We have been permitted to carry EVERYTHING on by Norwegian (in Boston), and we wonder whether Princess would allow it too. All of our bags fit through the scanning machine in NCL's check-in line.

Thanks, in advance.

What say you experienced Princessites about this? We have been permitted to carry EVERYTHING on by Norwegian (in Boston), and we wonder whether Princess would allow it too. All of our bags fit through the scanning machine in NCL's check-in line.

Yes, if it will fit through the terminal's x-ray machines, Princess will allow it at most ports (some people have reported a problem doing this at some ports).

Be aware at some terminals there will be a number of stairs you will need to negotiate with your carryon luggage.

Yes, if it will fit through the terminal's x-ray machines, Princess will allow it at most ports (some people have reported a problem doing this at some ports).

Be aware at some terminals there will be a number of stairs you will need to negotiate with your carryon luggage.

I agree with caribill that usually the limiting factor is the size of the scanner.

• In San Pedro two years ago we sat next to a person with what looked to be a 27" or 28" suitcase. Turned out that he was the piano player in Crooners and he was able to carry the bag on. The scanners at San Pedro are quite large.
  • Last year in Vancouver I decided to test the scanner with my 26" bag but never got the chance. Canadian customs at the pier forced me to take my 26" suitcase back to the curb and have it checked before I could get to the scanner.
  • In San Pedro this year on a 7 Day cruise I got everything into a 22" carry-on, another smaller carry-on and a garment bag. Had no problem with carry-on or carry-off

Thanks for all the advice. Makes total sense now that we will be told when to get off and so no point in carrying luggage. One last question if you don't mind, how can you get your rental car before picking up your luggage? I would have thought they just put out luggage from the bus when you arrive at the Egan Center . .

Yes, if it will fit through the terminal's x-ray machines, Princess will allow it at most ports (some people have reported a problem doing this at some ports). ...

I agree with caribill that usually the limiting factor is the size of the scanner. ... Last year in Vancouver I decided to test the scanner with my 26" bag but never got the chance. Canadian customs at the pier forced me to take my 26" suitcase back to the curb and have it checked before I could get to the scanner. ...

Thanks, "caribill" and "IECalCruiser." Our largest bag is about 26" X 21" X 6, so it apparently won't be possible to know what to expect, in advance. Embarkation will be at Copenhagen, and we don't know if that largest bag can "fit through the terminal's x-ray machines."

Archived