Fairfield Inn In Newark

bravostar

I stayed in the Fairfield in Feb and was very satisfied. I plan to stay there again next Feb. A group of folks from our roll call stayed there (mostly because of the park/sleep) and we booked Independent Driver (Up to 4ppl $40, 5 or more $10 ea. (888-816-0973 x..0) to take us to the port for $10/pp.

The disadvantage to the Fairfield for someone who is flying is that there is no restaurant (they offer free breakfast), so you have to order take out, walk next door to the Newark Courtyard, or arrange transportation to a Newark restaurant. Did you look at the Elizabeth Courtyard or Residence Inn on Glimcher Realty Way? The advantage to these hotels is that the Courtyard has a restaurant and there is a Ruby Tuesday's and an IHOP within walking distance. They are also next to the Jersey Gardens Mall.

I stayed in the Fairfield in Feb and was very satisfied. I plan to stay there again next Feb. A group of folks from our roll call stayed there (mostly because of the park/sleep) and we booked Independent Driver (Up to 4ppl $40, 5 or more $10 ea. (888-816-0973 x..0) to take us to the port for $10/pp.

The disadvantage to the Fairfield for someone who is flying is that there is no restaurant (they offer free breakfast), so you have to order take out, walk next door to the Newark Courtyard, or arrange transportation to a Newark restaurant. Did you look at the Elizabeth Courtyard or Residence Inn on Glimcher Realty Way? The advantage to these hotels is that the Courtyard has a restaurant and there is a Ruby Tuesday's and an IHOP within walking distance. They are also next to the Jersey Gardens Mall.

Thank you so much for the info especially the car service as that was going to be my next question.

We have taken your advice and have booked the Courtyard on Glincher.

Thanks again

You can't book the car service until 4-6 weeks out - they are low budget - no web site, no credit cards, no emails. They were a recent new addition to the trinityreservations.com website and I decided to give them a try because their prices were good. We had a whole group of people who were trying to organize a hotel room, parking for 12 days, and port transportation for a minimum cost - it worked out well for us. When I got to the hotel, there were business cards for Independent Driver on the front desk of the lobby, so they have the blessing of the Fairfield Inn as well.

Since you have no car, I think the Elizabeth Courtyard is better for you. There are 2 restaurants near the hotel plus a food court, shops, and movies in the Mall. None of the other airport hotels offer that - you are stuck at the hotel unless you want to ride hotel shuttles around the airport.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the Elizabeth Courtyard in a safe area? We are considering the hotel but would have to walk a short distance to the mall to catch the bus into NYC.

You can't book the car service until 4-6 weeks out - they are low budget - no web site, no credit cards, no emails. They were a recent new addition to the trinityreservations.com website and I decided to give them a try because their prices were good. We had a whole group of people who were trying to organize a hotel room, parking for 12 days, and port transportation for a minimum cost - it worked out well for us. When I got to the hotel, there were business cards for Independent Driver on the front desk of the lobby, so they have the blessing of the Fairfield Inn as well.

Since you have no car, I think the Elizabeth Courtyard is better for you. There are 2 restaurants near the hotel plus a food court, shops, and movies in the Mall. None of the other airport hotels offer that - you are stuck at the hotel unless you want to ride hotel shuttles around the airport.

I think the Elizabeth Courtyard is in a safe area. However, Newark is a highly urban industrialized area and you must always be aware of your surroundings.

I see from other posts that you are sailing from Brooklyn on 9/17 and will likely use the Princess transfers from EWR. Did you consider the Newark Penn Station Hilton? It is showing for about $115 on kayak.com for 9/16 - this is a very reasonable rate. Newark Penn Station has trains to NY which run about 4 times an hour plus Path service to both downtown & midtown NY which runs at least every 15 minutes. By contrast the bus service to and from the Jersey Gardens Mall is much more infrequent and virutally nonexistent at some times (http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0115.pdf & http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0111.pdf). What is your timing for going in and out of NY and what do you plan to do in the city?

Is the Elizabeth Courtyard in a safe area? We are considering the hotel but would have to walk a short distance to the mall to catch the bus into NYC.

yes..and the shuttle will drop you off at the mall.(meaning Jersey Gardens)..just tell the driver. this is a normal thing for them......and they will pick you up, just call when you get back. (you may have to go to/from the airport on your trip to/from the mall......but i have done this often...)

Great thread (thanks Sunnee for referring me here). We are nailing down our flight and have decided on Newark, flying in on a Thurs, cruising out of Red Hook on Saturday. Never been here and know nothing. This really helps alot.

Great thread (thanks Sunnee for referring me here). We are nailing down our flight and have decided on Newark, flying in on a Thurs, cruising out of Red Hook on Saturday. Never been here and know nothing. This really helps alot.

Just an FYI-Flying into either LGA or JFK will be MUCH easier for sightseeing and your cruise.

It will cost AT LEAST $50 each way (bus from the airport to Port Authority plus taxi to Red Hook) for your cruise. If you take a cab or car service to get to your cruise, it will be $70-100 EACH WAY from Newark to Red Hook. All those extra transportation costs will eat up any savings on a NYC hotel.

Take a look at this thread for ideas and very specific directions: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1393103&highlight=crowne+plaza

You can fly into LGA or into JFK (about $30 taxi ride to LGA), stay in a very decent hotel for NJ prices, and still have VERY cheap transportation into Manhattan for sightseeing.

Just an FYI-Flying into either LGA or JFK will be MUCH easier for sightseeing and your cruise.

It will cost AT LEAST $50 each way (bus from the airport to Port Authority plus taxi to Red Hook) for your cruise. If you take a cab or car service to get to your cruise, it will be $70-100 EACH WAY from Newark to Red Hook. All those extra transportation costs will eat up any savings on a NYC hotel.

Take a look at this thread for ideas and very specific directions: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1393103&highlight=crowne+plaza

You can fly into LGA or into JFK (about $30 taxi ride to LGA), stay in a very decent hotel for NJ prices, and still have VERY cheap transportation into Manhattan for sightseeing.

What about doing Princess Transfers if you stay near EWR?

What about doing Princess Transfers if you stay near EWR?

There is absolutely no redeeming reason to stay near Newark if you aren't sailing in and out of there. It is a crummy, high crime, industrialized area.

Even if I were sailing out of Bayonne I'd pick another area.

There is absolutely no redeeming reason to stay near Newark if you aren't sailing in and out of there. It is a crummy, high crime, industrialized area.

Even if I were sailing out of Bayonne I'd pick another area.

Wonder if your flight is free and it's the only choice that works?

Let's see if we can clarify your plans so folks can give constructive advice.

1) You have a free flight to Newark.

2) You are cruising out of Brooklyn

3) You are taking Princess transfers from Newark Airport to Brooklyn

4) You want to spend Friday sightseeing in NYC

5) You need a hotel room. What exact dates and what's your budget?

Blue Herons is right - Newark is not a vacation destination, but lots of folks spend a night or two there. You will not have a car and want to go to NYC, so the objective should be to find a reasonably priced hotel for you that will allow you to get into NYC.

With all due respect to our Northern Jersey forum friends, Newark is pretty yucky.

With a free flight, I'd fly into Newark, take the Airtrain into Manhattan and priceline a stay downtown in the Financial District and then book a car service to Brooklyn the next day.

Are the transfers free from Newark Airport to Princess?

Newark is a heavily industrialized area. There are no pleasant parts of that area.

With all due respect to our Northern Jersey forum friends, Newark is pretty yucky.

With a free flight, I'd fly into Newark, take the Airtrain into Manhattan and priceline a stay downtown in the Financial District and then book a car service to Brooklyn the next day.

Are the transfers free from Newark Airport to Princess?

Newark is a heavily industrialized area. There are no pleasant parts of that area.

The Newark Penn Station Hilton is a decent hotel, often with attractive weekend rates, that has easy access to Newark Penn Station and its cheap, fast, and reliable transportation via either NJ Transit or PATH to New York. They have a free shuttle to and from EWR, so it won't cost a dime (other than perhaps a small tip to the shuttle driver) to get to and from the airport. The hotel is a short distance from the many good Spanish and Portuguese restaurants in the Ironbound neighborhood. It's also adjacent to the new Prudential Center which has professional basketball and hockey in season, as well as other events, and also just a short jump to the NJ Performing Arts Center, which has many world-class music and theater events.

Yes, Newark's not a resort destination, and I wouldn't venture into much of the city, but your opinion sounds like that of a person who actually hasn't been to Newark in the past 10 or 20 years. That area is perfectly OK for someone staying pre cruise for a night or two.

Yes, Newark's not a resort destination, and I wouldn't venture into much of the city, but your opinion sounds like that of a person who actually hasn't been to Newark in the past 10 or 20 years. That area is perfectly OK for someone staying pre cruise for a night or two.

I flew in and out of Newark three weeks ago. My stepdaughters live in Hoboken.

Unless you are in the bad parts of downtown newark, the chances of bad stuff happening are no greater than they are in any other area...frankly, i'd rather take my chances in Newark than parts of Miami.....but that's just me....

I've stayed near the airport for every explorer cruise, countless flights and well, for mileage/point runs......no harm, no damage....

If it is a Southwest ticket, did you explore flying into LGA? If it is Continental, there are a lot of flights on CO and partners which should work into LGA from LAX.

From any of the EWR hotels to get into the City, take the airport transport bus. $27.00 RT

Easiest with NO transferring from Airtrain to Train or Airtrain to PATH or any other combination of bus/train. You will have to get from your hotel to one of the pickup points at the airport, but that should be easy. Three places to get off the bus-check them out to see which one makes the most sense to you for sightseeing

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

I know nothing about the Princess transfers. Someone posted on another thread they were $29.00pp each way. Not a bad deal money wise if that is truly the price. Just waiting for those buses to fill is a PITA.

If it is a Southwest ticket, did you explore flying into LGA? If it is Continental, there are a lot of flights on CO and partners which should work into LGA from LAX.

From any of the EWR hotels to get into the City, take the airport transport bus. $27.00 RT

Easiest with NO transferring from Airtrain to Train or Airtrain to PATH or any other combination of bus/train. You will have to get from your hotel to one of the pickup points at the airport, but that should be easy. Three places to get off the bus-check them out to see which one makes the most sense to you for sightseeing

I know nothing about the Princess transfers. Someone posted on another thread they were $29.00pp each way. Not a bad deal money wise if that is truly the price. Just waiting for those buses to fill is a PITA.

The Princess transfers are $59 pp roundtrip. If the plan is to be arriving late on Thursday, staying in Newark for Thursday night and Friday night, spending all day Friday in NYC and using hotel shuttle to get to where the transportation is... might be worth not spending upwards of $200 per night for 2 nights stay in NYC with the prices for Oct being premium.

The Princess transfers are $59 pp roundtrip. If the plan is to be arriving late on Thursday, staying in Newark for Thursday night and Friday night, spending all day Friday in NYC and using hotel shuttle to get to where the transportation is... might be worth not spending upwards of $200 per night for 2 nights stay in NYC with the prices for Oct being premium.

I never said anything about staying IN Manhattan. I suggested flying into LGA or JFK, staying at the Crowne Plaza (which is approx $150 per night rack rate and cheaper via Priceline BIDDING, Quikbook and various other booking channels) and taking the train into Manhattan (30 minute train ride leaves you at 42nd and 7th with transfers to the rest of the City).

But then H20 Lover posted she had free plane tickets into EWR. Using the Airport Express bus directly out of EWR is the SIMPLEST option for getting into NYC for sightseeing so just about any Newark airport hotel will work (DO NOT book the Best Western or even what was the Holiday Inn-now a Ramada). No changing trains/buses, etc. Nonstop from the airport into one of three places in NYC.

I never said anything about staying IN Manhattan. I suggested flying into LGA or JFK, staying at the Crowne Plaza (which is approx $150 per night rack rate and cheaper via Priceline BIDDING, Quikbook and various other booking channels) and taking the train into Manhattan (30 minute train ride leaves you at 42nd and 7th with transfers to the rest of the City).

But then H20 Lover posted she had free plane tickets into EWR. Using the Airport Express bus directly out of EWR is the SIMPLEST option for getting into NYC for sightseeing so just about any Newark airport hotel will work (DO NOT book the Best Western or even what was the Holiday Inn-now a Ramada). No changing trains/buses, etc. Nonstop from the airport into one of three places in NYC.

Thanks for the info. Will keep all this mind. Will get his figured out eventually!

SW, yes we cked into LGA, the flights were horrible.

What airport/hotel would you experts suggest for staying pre-cruise? DH and I have been to New York (Manhattan) and done the sight seeing sites many times so they are of no interest to us this time around. We will be sailing out of New York going to Canada/New England and just need a place to rest up as flying is tiresome for DH. Also, what airport would you suggest and does anybody know if any of the chain hotels near the airport offer a shuttle to the port ? Thanks for any advice

What airport/hotel would you experts suggest for staying pre-cruise? DH and I have been to New York (Manhattan) and done the sight seeing sites many times so they are of no interest to us this time around. We will be sailing out of New York going to Canada/New England and just need a place to rest up as flying is tiresome for DH. Also, what airport would you suggest and does anybody know if any of the chain hotels near the airport offer a shuttle to the port ? Thanks for any advice

if you're sailing out of NY, none of them offer a shuttle to the port. Are you cruising out of NY actually, or out of NJ....see, NY cabs don't have to take you to the pier in NJ, and vice versa, so to give you the best advice, we need to know where you're actually getting on the ship.....

if you're going from NY actually i would probably fly into JFK...and i would just pick an airport hotel, then get a car service such as http://www.dial7.com or http://www.carmellimo.com

If you're going from NJ/Cape Liberty then fly into EWR, stay near the airport and get a car service to the pier such as

http://www.blackexecutivecars.com/ or http://www.signaturelimonj.com/NJ-Corporate-Limo.html

Archived