Doing Pacific Coastal Cruise September 24,2011

firecapt25

Is there any towns that the Norwegian Star stops at that are easy to do on your own, citys where you can see alot and do. Where we can enjoy the city or town that we stop at like Nanaimo , Astoria , San Francisco. We are doing Butchart Gardens in Victoria.

Is there any towns that the Norwegian Star stops at that are easy to do on your own, citys where you can see alot and do. Where we can enjoy the city or town that we stop at like Nanaimo , Astoria , San Francisco. We are doing Butchart Gardens in Victoria.

Hi, Firecapt!

I'm also on this cruise. SF is a great city to do on your own. I love to purchase the Muni day pass, which gives you access to the cable cars, streetcars and busses, and you can go all over the city this way on your own schedule. See what you want to see, stop off at places that interest you, then catch the next cable car, bus, whatever and go on to your next POI. Here's a good website to check out the various sights and neighborhoods you may want to put on your "must-see" list:

http://www.sanfrancisco.travel/

If you check out the Pacific Northwest ports of call board, there are some posts regarding Nanaimo. They have recently built a pier, so we no longer have to tender there, so that will be great. Nanaimo will have an arts/crafts market near the pier on the day we're in port and from what I've read, the town itself is very walkable and the harbor is very appealing. Here's a website you may find useful:http://www.tourismnanaimo.com/

In Astoria, we plan to rent a car and drive down the coast. There is a Hertz and an Enterprise agency right off the pier, and they will have cars available as you come off the ship, if this is something you'd be interested in doing. There are several seaside towns that look interesting. We plan to drive as far as Tillamook, where there's the Tillamook dairy. But, you can also check out the Lewis & Clark National Historical Park, and some lighthouses, that sort of thing. I believe a couple of posters have written about doing this drive on the Pacific Northwest board.

Hope this helps! Come over and join our roll call chat! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1242003&page=37

Becki

Is Fisherman Wharf close by where the ship docks.

The Star is scheduled to dock at Pier 27. Fisherman's Wharf is near Pier 43, but it's very walkable. The whole Embarcadero area is loaded with shops and restaurants. You'll also pass Pier 39, which is a maze of shops, restaurants and entertainment, and where you'll find the seals you'll hear before you see them. :p Here's a map to help you orient yourself. You could also take a streetcar down the Embarcadero to Fisherman's Wharf if you want to ride rather than walk.

http://www.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&q=Pier+27%2c+San+Francisco%2c+California

RJ beat me to it - come on over to our roll call and Nanaimo and Victoria are certainly cities that you can explore on your own - if you have any specific questions about Nanaimo post it on the thread on the Pacific Northwest Forum - there is a local cruiser who lives in Nanaimo and will post answers to your questions.

I get over to both Nanaimo and Victoria a couple times of year and also have visited both on cruises so I can also answer from a cruise perspective.

Agree with the comments about San Francisco - it is a very walkable city and the area around Fishermen`s Wharf can take up the better part of the day - I will be doing a private wine country tour with some cruising friends that live in the Bay area.

Welcome aboard

Cheers

Dennis

Great information, this will be our first time to San Francisco didn't want to be stuck on one excurison and not get to see the city it self.

Oh, no; although there are some very good excursions in SF, if you aren't adverse to public transportation, you will have a great time exploring SF on your own. On our first visit there, we bought an all-day Muni pass and we saw an awful lot of the city. You can get to so much of the sights with the public transportation, and the transit workers (and the people in the city as well ) are very good at helping you with which mode of transportation to take to get you to your next stop if you are unsure. And, with being in SF from 8-8, you'll have lots of time to explore as well.

Becki

If you drive down as far as Tillamook--great tour of where they make cheese, ice cream and butter, check out the Air Museum just south of there--in same town. it is in old blimp hangers--largest collection of working aircraft--and our family had a plywood factory at that site...harvesting the tillamook burn of the 1930's.

If you drive down as far as Tillamook--great tour of where they make cheese, ice cream and butter, check out the Air Museum just south of there--in same town. it is in old blimp hangers--largest collection of working aircraft--and our family had a plywood factory at that site...harvesting the tillamook burn of the 1930's.

Thanks for the info! My hubby will love the Air Museum.

In Astoria, we took the trolley to the Maritime Museum. We then walked back to the pier and on the way stopped at a brewpub to eat and walked by the Flavel house. Here is a good website for Astoria. Also check out the Liberty Theatre. When we were there on the Carnival Splendor, the theatre was showing the same informational maps from the ship on the screen that are seen on the cabin tv.

Looking at your screen name, you may be interested in the Uppertown Firefighters Museum in Astoria.

http://www.oldoregon.com/visitor-info/entry/uppertown-firefighters-museum/

I went there several years ago, and a retired Fire Captain friend of mine enjoyed it too. Not sure what their hours are, but the webpage gives their number, so you may be able to arrange a visit.

Enjoy Astoria - it's one of my favorite towns on the coast.

I would be interested in the car rental in Astoria. We are only in port from 7-4. I would like to see Canon Beach and Seaside. Perhaps Tilamook. Is there enough time or should we do a ship tour? I am not to thrilled about a school bus ride on the Canon/Seaside tour through the ship.

I would be interested in the car rental in Astoria. We are only in port from 7-4. I would like to see Canon Beach and Seaside. Perhaps Tilamook. Is there enough time or should we do a ship tour? I am not to thrilled about a school bus ride on the Canon/Seaside tour through the ship.

I mapped the mileage and it looks like it's about 65 miles to Tillamook, so, even with stops, it should be very doable with the time you have in port. We have the same amount of time, just off by an hour on each end (8-5). We reserved a car with Hertz. We called and talked to Greg at the local office in Astoria; 503-325-7700. He'll just take your name and a contact number and the date of your arrival. Very nice guy! He said you'll come off the ship and go thru some tents of various vendors (tours and such)and the car rentals (Enterprise and Hertz) are at the end of those. Here's a couple of websites:

http://www.cannonbeach.org/index.htm

http://www.tillamookchamber.org/

http://www.seasideor.com/item.asp?iid=268

Have a great trip!

I haven't done the Tillamook to Astoria drive, but it will take longer than the mileage indicates. Highway 101 is a windy, 2-lane road, with occasional passing zones, and does go through the town of Seaside, which does cause you to slow down. Max speed limit on the entire route is no more than 55, with many stretches slowing you to 45-50. It's more of a scenic drive, with quite a few vistas & pull-outs that overlook the Pacific.

I haven't done the Tillamook to Astoria drive, but it will take longer than the mileage indicates. Highway 101 is a windy, 2-lane road, with occasional passing zones, and does go through the town of Seaside, which does cause you to slow down. Max speed limit on the entire route is no more than 55, with many stretches slowing you to 45-50. It's more of a scenic drive, with quite a few vistas & pull-outs that overlook the Pacific.

Thanks for the specifics. I did figure on it taking longer than a normal 65 mile drive would take. Just gave the mileage as a starting reference. ;) The one person who posted the specifics of their drive on the Pacific Northwest board I believe drove to their farthest point south and then made stops along the drive north to make sure they'd have time to get back. Sounds like a good plan to me! :)

I took one of the trolleys into town in Astoria, and wandered around downtown popping into galleries & coffee shops. Then got on another bus (can't remember bus or trolley - but it isn't hard to navigate the town. There are volunteer tourist helpers stationed at tables downtown, happy to answer questions & give directions) on to the Astoria column & walked to the top of that. There is a great look out point there.

• 1 month later...

has anyone taken the 5 hour tour in SF that starts with a ferry ride to Sausolito, shuttles back over the GG bridge, China Town, crooked street, etc.? if so, was it worth the time/money spent? 1st time in SF and want to see as much as possible in one day. Thanks for any info.

Archived