Which cruise to see the Panama Canal

verodoodle

We did a cruise that stopped in Colon and took a excursion that went to the Gatun locks and lake.Would like to take a cruise on day that goes al the way through.Would prefer Westbound as you would get 3 25 hour days

....................Frank:)

We were on the Mercury several years ago on a repositioning cruise. Left Ft Lauderdale and 16 days later got off in Los Angeles after having gone through the Panama Canal. It was great. I'm sure the tours would be good as well, but it seems to me that going all the way through the canal is the best way to see it. We had a balcony and just happened to be going through the locks so that a freighter was in the next lane to us and we were right alongside the other ship. It was great. Would love to do it again. David

I would opt for the cruise that transits the Panama Canal.

It is an engineering marvel!

In addition going through the locks is a great experience.

It's my DH's favorite cruise experience by far!!

If you take an excursion, you will be on a much smaller vessel that gives you the perspective of actually being inside the locks, watching the gates open at eye level, watching the water line on the walls of the locks, putting your hand over the side of the boat (carefully!) to feel the wall....

Thinking about taking the 1/2/12 Southern Caribbean cruise which stops in Colon, Panama. will we see enough of the canal or should we pick a cruise that goes all the way through?

thanks in advance

We are booked on Infinity's first cruise after refit, December 3-18 from FLL, through the canal ending in Valpo, Chile. Can't wait.

Also, read the book "The Path between the Seas."

We are booked on Infinity's first cruise after refit, December 3-18 from FLL, through the canal ending in Valpo, Chile. Can't wait.

Also, read the book "The Path between the Seas."

"The Path Between the Seas" is a fabulous book. Wonderful to read before your transit. We just did the canal in the fall and truly would recommend it to anyone. We loved it. I say go for the full transit. You won't be sorry.

Carole

One other thought about the full transit. When you are going westbound just after you exit the locks on the pacific side you go under the Bridge of the America's. Not sure what it was other than maybe it was just about dusk but it just seemed to be beautiful. That whole day was an unforgettable experience. David

If you take an excursion, you will be on a much smaller vessel that gives you the perspective of actually being inside the locks, watching the gates open at eye level, watching the water line on the walls of the locks, putting your hand over the side of the boat (carefully!) to feel the wall....

I've done the full transit twice and, while on Equinox in March 2010, did a Celebrity tour from Colon in which we boarded a boat holding a few hundred guests [sorry, can't recall the name of the tiny town from which we departed but it was situated along Gatun Lake and about an hour's drive from Colon], transited the last two sets of locks headed westbound, and were then bussed back to Colon from Panama City... A very reasonable lunch buffet was provided, there was a bar aboard, and our guide was very informative...

Though you won't get to witness the tight fit of a cruise ship squeezing through the locks, I really did enjoy the perspective offered on the smaller tour boat; to me, both were terrific--and very different--experiences...

If you go, be sure to bring lots of sunscreen/a hat and dress for hot/likely humid weather in any case... People on the tour [i'm sure it could occur on a cruise ship too] sustained very significant sunburns--there are sheltered/interior sections of the boat but no one wanted to miss a thing--requiring medical treatment...

In either case, enjoy!

We took the Equinox on that same southern Caribbean cruise and we took the ferry boat excursion as well. Normally we are very independent in our excursions but because of the risk of missing the ship's departure from Colon, we got on one of about 6 large buses and rode the hour or so to the ferry. It was kind of disorganized getting on the ferry, and we did some waiting at the end - but we enjoyed the trip through the two locks. It's hot and humid but there was plenty of food and beverages -- we didn't take the ferry for it's luxuriousness but for the experience of traveling through the Canal. We have some great memories and pictures. Do we need to do it again? Probably not. I kind of like that we took local transportation through the locks rather than a beautiful cruise ship.

Because of the nature of the Canal, it's basically first-come-first-served on passing through the locks, and we did a bit of waiting. Our so-called 6 hr. excursion was more like 10. The trip back to Colon from Panama City was very interesting. The trip through the Canal was something to check off the bucket list. The ferry gave a great perspective and we could literally touch the sides and really feel the rise and fall in the locks. I think it was a better perspective than perhaps on a large ship.

In April I did a partial Panama Canal cruise with another cruiseline. Personally, I think that I got the best of both worlds! There are only a couple of cruiselines that still offer the partial Panama Canal cruises.

Our ship went through the first 3 locks on the Atlantic side to Gatun Lake. I loved the experience of being on the cruise ship's upper decks so I could see over the top of the walls and watch the canal workers securing the ship to the "mules". I was able to walk around the promenade deck, which was almost even with the top of the walls and see the tight fit of the ship in the lock.

When we got to Gatun Lake, we got off the cruise ship and onto a smaller, 2-deck boat to finish the transit through the next 3 locks to the Pacific side. Our ship turned around and went back through the locks to the Atlantic side.

As others have mentioned, the smaller boat experience was also nice. I was able to touch the walls of the locks (they're slimy :p) and really feel the movement of the boat as the water level in the locks was lowered. The lunch buffet was okay - nothing spectacular but edible. When we reached the Pacific side, we got on buses and were taken back to Colon to meet the ship.

Someday I might decide to do a full transit or cruise with a stop in Colon, but I am very thankful that I was able to experience the Canal on both a ship and a boat. The Panama Canal really is an amazing engineering feat.

I agree. I have done both. the first time we docked in Colon and took an excursion with bus ride and "ferry" through a few locks. we had a very close view of the gates, touched the walls, watched a sailboat tie up and pass through with us. very up close. I recommend that excursion. Others enjoyed watching from the observation center.

the second time, we did a full passage. the view was quite different. It was interesting to see the ship squeeze (figuratively) into the lock. we certainly saw the gates and ship going up and down, but I felt I "experienced" the locks more on the ferry.

You can't go wrong either way, but select your excursion carefully if you dock at Colon.

Celebrity has several excursions for the day before we transit (we dock in Colon):

Colonial Panama and Miraflores Locks - CO49

Approx Duration: 6 hour(s)

*Current Price: Starting from

82.00 Adult (USD)

62.00 Child (USD)

0.00 Infant (USD)

Activity Type: Sightseeing and/or City Tours

Activity Level: Moderate

Restrictions: N/A

This scenic, get acquainted excursion will drive you through the streets of "Old French Quarter of Panama City", founded in 1673 by French colonists. As you make our way along the coastline to El Casco Antigou, take the opportunity to discover the tales of Gallantry and Piracy that wait in the narrow streets of Colonial Panama known as Casco Antiguo. A brief stop in the old center will be made for an encounter with Panama History. The ruins of the churches and convents, colonial palaces, bridges and military buildings attest to the grandiose past of this city.

Before or following your visit to the French Quarter, you will have the opportunity to visit the Miraflores Locks Observation Center where you will view a 12 minute video presentation to learn of its rich history and marvel at this man made wonder. You will also get an opportunity to get a birds' eye view, when available, of the passing ships and functioning of the locks from a viewing area on the top floor of this installation.

Gatun Locks and Canal Zone - CO40

Approx Duration: 3 hour(s) 15 minute(s)

56.00 Adult (USD)

46.00 Child (USD)

0.00 Infant (USD)

Advisements: N/A

The Panama Canal has three sets of Locks, two situated near to the Pacific coast (Miraflores and Pedro Miguel locks), and the third along the Atlantic (Gatun Locks).

Of three sets of Locks, those at Gatun might be the most impressive, and worthwhile visiting. Due to the fact that all three chambers are connecting, you'll have the opportunity to see the entire process completed at one location, rather than in two different stages such as case with Miraflores and Pedro Miguel Locks. It takes approximately 2 hours for a vessel to complete the transit at Gatun Locks, regardless of whether it's heading northbound or southbound.

A visitor's tower does exist, which sits high up above the Locks themselves. While there is a rather large roof that overhangs the front portion, nice pictures can be taken from this location.

Miraflores Locks & Observation Center - CO31

Approx Duration: 5 hour(s)

59.00 Adult (USD)

49.00 Child (USD)

0.00 Infant (USD)

Advisements:

Take this opportunity to pause and view the ships that make their way through the Miraflores Locks chambers and visit exhibitions which include historical objects of Canal operations, interactive modules, video presentations, and models of the Panama Canal. Four exhibition halls, organized by themes, constitute the heart of the Miraflores Visitor Center. The return route will take you past the former Panama Canal Zone where the military installations of the American administration are a gentle reminder of the strategic importance of the area. Today the former Zone is very much intact and is like a photographic image of what the days of the American Administration once were. Then, it is back to the ship, filled with knowledge and history making your stay in Panama far more interesting.

Panama Canal Railroad Journey by Dome Car & Bus - CO23

Approx Duration: 6 hour(s)

162.00 Adult (USD)

98.00 Child (USD)

0.00 Infant (USD)

Activity Level: Mild

Restrictions: Minimum Age: 2 years

Advisements:

Discover Panama by rail from the comfort of a fully restored vintage 1938 deluxe domed railcar. This tour combines the unique experience of the Two Ocean Railroad Journey with the exclusive opportunity to ride in the recently refurbished, unique air-conditioned railcar. Full-length observation windows allows for unobstructed viewing from the domed upper deck. You will return to the cruise ship by bus. Book early, as space is limited. Minimum age to participate is 2 years old.

We will probably do the Gatun locks, but the train ride looks interesting.

If you are looking for some thing differant look at P&O cruises they go through the Canal on there world cruises Board in Southampton England disembark in Sanfransico or Hawaii we did the 22 day Sanfransisco leg i agree with all the post the Canal is a must.

I did the train when it was a new excursion. The main problem at the time was that they did not coordinate the train schedule with ship schedules so there were no ships using the lock when we reached our destination. They said that since the tour was new they needed to resolve the problem. Perhaps they have addressed that issue.

For many years I've wanted to go through the canal. When I found the 11 night UltimateCaribbean cruise on Equinox I was thrilled with the stop in Colon and the ability to take an excursion through the canal. We did the Panama Canal Tour - CO26 - Colon, Panama.

The description reads: "After a 1-hour narrated drive to Balboa, the ferry will travel through the Miraflores Locks, along Miraflores Lake, through the Pedro Miguel Locks and through the Gaylard Cut. Your canal experience concludes at the pier in Gamboa for a 1 hour bus ride back to the ship. Lunch buffet included. "

This gave us a great view of the canal. I highly recommend it. Be sure to bring sunscreen! For now, my desires to go through the canal have been satisfied. Of course, there is a huge expansion project going on, so, someday, I might do this tour again.

I was told the cost of a ship going through the canal depending on size was $250.000 true or false ??

from Wikipedia:

The most expensive regular toll for canal passage to date was charged on May 16, 2008 to the Disney Magic, which paid US$331,200.[34][35] The least expensive toll was 36 cents to American adventurer Richard Halliburton, who swam the canal in 1928.[36] The average toll is around US$54,000. The highest fee for priority passage charged through the Transit Slot Auction System was US$220,300, paid on August 24, 2006 by the Panamax tanker Erikoussa,[37] bypassing a 90-ship queue waiting for the end of maintenance works on the Gatun locks, thus avoiding a seven-day delay. The normal fee would have been just US$13,430.[38]

We are booked on the Infinity thru the Panama Canal on Sept.26,2011, from Seattle,WA, to Ft. Lauderdale,FL. for 17 days. There are a lot of open cabins of all kinds if you are interested.

Rick

I was told the cost of a ship going through the canal depending on size was $250.000 true or false ??

I just came home from the most amazing voyage to Central America, including Colon, Panama and the Panama Canal. It was via cruise ship, but it was with Semester at Sea, so I was taking classes with other college students.

Many of our lectures were on the canal and the expansion project. One thing I learned was that toll prices for cruise ships are based on passenger berths (about $100 per berth, occupied or empty) and based on container capacity for cargo ships. Currently, the highest toll price ever was around $375,000, paid by the Norwegian Pearl last year and the lowest was $0.36, paid by a man who swam the full length of the canal. Just a little fun trivia :)

Also, toll prices are expected to increase each year, even after the project is complete to help offset construction costs.

But to the OP, the canal was a highlight of the trip and I can't wait to do a full transit!

strange nobody knows the anser to this post

That figure is not far off. The Canal has recently change the method on how they calculate the tolls for passenger ships and they now charge per passenger berth. To early to try and find the exact $$ figure but it is around $130 per occupied passenger berth and somewhere around $115 for unoccupied passenger berth. For a ship with 2200 berths that would come out to around $280,000 plus. On top of that figure you would have to consider the fee for a garuanteed booking slot, tug charges and a laundry list of other fees. On the last Panamax ship we were on (965x106) that transited the Canal, the total was $325,000.

The method for calculating the tolls for a cargo ship is a volume measurement of the cargo areas (spaces that earn revenue) of the ship. A large bulk carrier of similar Panamax size would be paying somewhere around the same figure.

• 1 month later...
Thinking about taking the 1/2/12 Southern Caribbean cruise which stops in Colon, Panama. will we see enough of the canal or should we pick a cruise that goes all the way through?

thanks in advance

What did you decide to do??

Rick

What did you decide to do??

Rick

Thank you all for the great advice. Due to work schedules and getting time off, we are going on the Equinox 11-day ultimate Caribbean, :) on Jan 2, 2012, down to Panama, but not through @ this time. Going on the ferry excursion into the lake/canal.

Looking forward to it!

Dave & Gail

Archived