Oceania Meet & Mingle?

bocatraveler09

Does Oceania ever host M&Ms for Cruise Critic members? I see they are promoted widely on the Azamara boards but I've not yet seen any mention on Oceania.

The answer is NO. They are set up, by people on Roll Calls, if there are any.

If you use the search function on the top of this page you will find many discussions on this topic.

I was trying to decide on a cruise on either Azamara or Oceania. While I did finally choose O, a big boost for AZ was the overall friendliness of the board and the obvious support AZ gives to CC members. I am surprised that, since O isn't part of a big, big company, they don't see the advantage of a CC tie-in. Oceania, are you listening?!!

I was trying to decide on a cruise on either Azamara or Oceania. While I did finally choose O, a big boost for AZ was the overall friendliness of the board and the obvious support AZ gives to CC members. I am surprised that, since O isn't part of a big, big company, they don't see the advantage of a CC tie-in. Oceania, are you listening?!!

The main reason may be that less than 5% of the folks on O are also on CC.

Whenever we mentioned CC to fellow cruisers they answered "what's that?"

The main reason may be that less than 5% of the folks on O are also on CC.

Whenever we mentioned CC to fellow cruisers they answered "what's that?"

Interesting, but incorrect..since on each Oceania trip I have taken, I have met enough co cruisers to plan daily trips, meet and greets, and transfers. You must be looking iun all the wrong places. Go ro Roll Call, and you will find many messages from your cruise mates.

Interesting, but incorrect..since on each Oceania trip I have taken, I have met enough co cruisers to plan daily trips, meet and greets, and transfers. You must be looking iun all the wrong places. Go ro Roll Call, and you will find many messages from your cruise mates.

We had 85 people on our Marina roll call so that is about 7% of the total passengers

You may meet quite a few people to share tours etc but the overall % compared to the total passengers on the ship is low

Bethin you may be missing the point

compare the # of people on your Roll Call with the total on the ship ...not everyone is a member of CC ;)

Oh, they listen. Frank DelRio, CEO, has posted several times on the 'O' boards here on CC.

We just returned last week from our second 'O' cruise. I kept the roll call list on both cruises. On the first cruise, I took a list of names/room #'s to the concierge and she sent out printed invitations to a M&M or M&G:p. However, this year, I heard here on the boards that Oceania was not doing that any more. Therefore, we just met after the muster drill in Horizons. When I got there, I told the person in charge that we were expecting about 50 CC people. He immediately had someone arrange a seating area for us and even passed hors d'oeuvres. We were pleasantly surprised and felt this was quite generous.:)

Also, I think that you will find that most of the people on the 'O' boards are very friendly. Of course, like in everything, you always have a few 'bad apples'. I think you will really enjoy your 'O' cruise. Please give us a report when you return.

Thanks & Happy Cruising!:D

Judy

Of course you can meet with CC'ers from your Roll Call however my point was that the percentage of CC members on any given O cruise is very small.

I certainly will use the cc board to "meet" fellow cruisers and "greet" them onboard. Hopefully, they'll be a enthusiast like Judy among us who will take charge!

As one of my good friends here on CC (Cintipam) has said before-------CC can become addictive, so I am sure you will have someone as enthusiastic as me. :D

For our upcoming Marina cruise, our Roll Call has 29 posters representing 58 actual cruisers ...which, of course, would be under 5%...

But that statistic is probably true on most other cruise lines--including Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Azamara--also...

Truth is, though we all might think Cruise Critic is important, it is not as well-known as we think...Most people have no clue it exists...

OTOH, it is far more important than those rudimentary statistics imply...There are large numbers of people who have never joined Cruise Critic or have never posted but who have Googled for reviews or have otherwise somehow been linked to the site and have read the reviews and the threads...

Royal Caribbean and it's affiliates know this (I know, I've spoken in person to the CEO of RCI on the subject)...this is why they cooperate with Cruise Critic in sponsoring the receptions...There was a whole controversy on the Royal Caribbean board a while back because of a backlash to RCI's "viral marketing"...

The truth is that Cruise Critic and its posters have more influence on the cruise buying public than the numbers imply...

"Word of mouth"...and, nowadays, "word of internet"...is more effective than all of the other forms of marketing combined...You can read the travel section of the Sunday LA Times and see add after add for cruise lines and still have no idea as to the differences or why you should cruise one or the other...

Travel agents are traditionally, the source of information for prospective cruisers...

But, with the advent of the internet, internet cruise booking agencies and websites, national 800 number booking agents, etc., that personal contact with and valued opinions from a travel agent are just not happening as regularly anymore...People look for new sources of information on cruising...Some ask friends...But many get their information off the internet...and, when one does a search for cruise information or reviews, one often comes up with Cruise Critic...So, even if they don't "join", they read...

I believe Frank Del Rio and the management at Oceania know this as well...Frank does monitor and participate on this board from time to time...

Of course, they also want to keep ALL of their customers happy...

I think Oceania may want to help out...but, managing a system of "Meet & Mingles" for each cruise is not that easy--especially on a smaller ship where crew and space are at a premium...and passengers not in a group often take umbrage at any part of their public areas being cordoned off from their use...

Of course, at some point, if you have groups of 50+ arranging their own get-togethers on each ship, it may be to Oceania's benefit to take some part in the planning/scheduling...just so that it doesn't interfere with other activities onboard...

...and, of course, keeping us Cruise Critics happy pays some added dividends...

For the time being, we'll just arrange our own thing...though I may email Oceania just to let them know and see how they respond...

Of course you can meet with CC'ers from your Roll Call however my point was that the percentage of CC members on any given O cruise is very small.

That's been my experience as well. On all of my O cruises, the vast majority of passengers I meet are totally unaware of internet possibilities. They will express interest in various message boards, but no one has ever asked me how to join up.

I believe Frank Del Rio and the management at Oceania know this as well...Frank does monitor and participate on this board from time to time...

Of course, they also want to keep ALL of their customers happy

Very true, Steve. Whenever I'm at an Oceania event I feel like a celebrity because the Oceania execs all want to meet "Stan and Jim". I'm not quite sure if I'm experiencing fame or infamy, but it is fun.

FDR, in particular. knows all of us, not only by name but by personality, and can quote some of our more memorable rants :eek:

As one of my good friends here on CC (Cintipam) has said before-------CC can become addictive, so I am sure you will have someone as enthusiastic as me. :D

Thanks, Judy, now that we have met "in the flesh", I find this week that I sincerely am missing you and Buddy and your enthusiasm.

Very true, Steve. Whenever I'm at an Oceania event I feel like a celebrity because the Oceania execs all want to meet "Stan and Jim". I'm not quite sure if I'm experiencing fame or infamy, but it is fun.

FDR, in particular. knows all of us, not only by name but by personality, and can quote some of our more memorable rants :eek:

You guys are quite well known! On the Marina, a couple of weeks ago, we went to Martini's for a martini tasting. The bartender, Jangelo (sp?), came over to talk to us. I mentioned that someone had told me to be sure and order a 'Jim-tini.' He asked if I was talking about a martini with Jim Bean. I told him, "No, the Jim of Stan & Jim on Cruise Critic." He knew immediately who I was talking about and from then on, he was really friendly. And the rest of the story is...................

We had a culinary class immediately afterwards. We rushed up the stairs (deck 6 to deck 12) because we were late and I turned the corner and 'crashed' into the closed glass door! :eek: (no injuries or damage, just embarrassed) The class was already full and of course everyone was laughing when we walked in. I told them I had a good excuse and where I had just been. Then, the lady chef (can't remember her name, wonder why :p), told the class to have fun (even throw some flour on your partner if you need to), which in my condition was not a good thing to say! Tons of fun and we actually learned something!:D We will definitely book a class on the Riviera (after the martini tasting, of course).

You guys are quite well known! On the Marina, a couple of weeks ago, we went to Martini's for a martini tasting. The bartender, Jangelo (sp?), came over to talk to us. I mentioned that someone had told me to be sure and order a 'Jim-tini.' He asked if I was talking about a martini with Jim Bean. I told him, "No, the Jim of Stan & Jim on Cruise Critic." He knew immediately who I was talking about and from then on, he was really friendly. And the rest of the story is...................

We had a culinary class immediately afterwards. We rushed up the stairs (deck 6 to deck 12) because we were late and I turned the corner and 'crashed' into the closed glass door! :eek: (no injuries or damage, just embarrassed) The class was already full and of course everyone was laughing when we walked in. I told them I had a good excuse and where I had just been. Then, the lady chef (can't remember her name, wonder why :p), told the class to have fun (even throw some flour on your partner if you need to), which in my condition was not a good thing to say! Tons of fun and we actually learned something!:D We will definitely book a class on the Riviera (after the martini tasting, of course).

LOL, yes, Jim-tini's can pack a wallop, particularly in the afternoon, although discretion forbids my discussing how I know that ;)

Actually, this may be a good opportunity to discuss a wonderful honor that has been bestowed on my signature cocktail.

Hold on to your hat folks but the Jim-tini has entered the big leagues.

They've spruced it up by adding a splash of Tia Maria and a garnish of Coffee beans and renamed it...........are you sitting down?........

the Marina Martini!

I'm so proud I could cry :rolleyes:

LOL, yes, Jim-tini's can pack a wallop, particularly in the afternoon, although discretion forbids my discussing how I know that ;)

Actually, this may be a good opportunity to discuss a wonderful honor that has been bestowed on my signature cocktail.

Hold on to your hat folks but the Jim-tini has entered the big leagues.

They've spruced it up by adding a splash of Tia Maria and a garnish of Coffee beans and renamed it...........are you sitting down?........

the Marina Martini!

I'm so proud I could cry :rolleyes:

I actually never tried the Jim-tini. The tasting was the Original martini, the Cosmo and one named Espresso-tini. I kept the ingredient list. It had Van Gogh Expresso, espresso cooled, Kahlau and was rimmed with crushed coffee beans. He indicated it was somewhat of a copy of the Jim-tini!

Archived