Are IPads sold on Celebrity Ships?

Thorhillcruiser

We are sailing on the Silhouette on Aug 10 and wondering if you can purchase an Apple IPad on board. It would be nice to save the duty/taxes.

Great question!! I was thinking the same thing. Maybe head that way on embarkation day. I wonder how many they stock on ship or if they're always permanently "out of stock". Getting it duty-free would be fabulous.:)

I just got one and had to be at my local Apple Store within 15 minutes of the store opening. Best Buy was totally sold out.

If you really want it, I would not hold my breath that they will have it.

Amazing sales if you ask me!

Just remember you will need a computer with iTunes to plug the iPad into so that it can download the operating system for the iPad.

My guess is that they can handle that for you on the ship. They have a whole room full of Apple computers. I found the folks in there to be very helpful even though I have a PC. They were able to figure out why it suddenly decided to quit talking to the internet. Took a while, but they figured it out.

They did not have any IPads when we were on the Eclipse in April and they would not give us a price but they were selling IPod Nano's, Shuffles and accessories but the prices were more expensive than they were in Walmart, Best Buy etc, so not sure where they were getting the Tax and Duty free price from:rolleyes:

But the staff in the internet cafe were very helpful and actually held a couple of FREE seminars for IPad users and gave us some very good tips for us IPad novices.

From just getting back from the Solstice in mid June, they seemed to have a decent stock of items. I was very impressed by the person heading up the computer staff on the ship. The key advantage to buying on the ship is saving the sales taxes compared to buying at the Apple store or another retailer in the US. Having my own MacBook Pro along for the cruise, plus iPhone and iPod, I didn't need to buy anything like this during the cruise. Personally, I like the Celebrity use of Apple products. Shows good and smart focus!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 16,025 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 45,250 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Great question!! I was thinking the same thing. Maybe head that way on embarkation day. I wonder how many they stock on ship or if they're always permanently "out of stock". Getting it duty-free would be fabulous.:)

How much duty is on an Ipad?

How much duty is on an Ipad?

I don't know if there is any duty on an iPad. I was just hoping to get one cheaper on board. If not, no big deal. I've got an iPhone that I LOVE and a Kindle so really the last thing I need is an iPad!! But I do love my electronic gadgets!!:)

I don't know if there is any duty on an iPad. I was just hoping to get one cheaper on board. If not, no big deal. I've got an iPhone that I LOVE and a Kindle so really the last thing I need is an iPad!! But I do love my electronic gadgets!!:)

just got an iPad for my birthday. It's truly amazing! I thought my iPhone was the greatest gadget ever and I love my DW and my paired Kindles, but now think the iPad trumps them both. I'm doing all my CC "research" on my iPad and am planning on bringing it on our Holy Land Silhouette cruise Sept 3. I will also bring my Kindle (fully loaded since downloading books while traveling has rarely worked for me), and my iPhone with an AT&T data package added.

just got an iPad for my birthday. It's truly amazing! I thought my iPhone was the greatest gadget ever and I love my DW and my paired Kindles, but now think the iPad trumps them both. I'm doing all my CC "research" on my iPad and am planning on bringing it on our Holy Land Silhouette cruise Sept 3. I will also bring my Kindle (fully loaded since downloading books while traveling has rarely worked for me), and my iPhone with an AT&T data package added.

Oh!! I just knew the iPad would trump all others I just didn't want to admit it to myself!!:D This is off topic: I have AT&T unlimited data plan. Now for newer customers they've put a limit on the data. I'm wondering if I buy an iPad will it fall under an unlimited plan like my iPhone.:)

They are likely to be at apples current market rate. Apple set the prices world wide, not celebrity.

Personally I would wait and get the Samsung Galaxy Tab S II.

Have seen demo version, does everything the IPAD does and more, much thinner, better battery and plays flash, just to name a few points.

Can anyone on Eclipse out of Southampton comment on availability or prices please?

The iPad 2 wifi 32gb is £479 for comparison

Thank you.

Just off the Eclipse. Did not see any Ipads for sale. There were none listed in the price list.

Savings on other products were significant. You can find US prices on Apple US site.

Jim

They are likely to be at apples current market rate. Apple set the prices world wide, not celebrity.

True, but I would expect, to be consistent with other products, to be based on the US market price, rather than the prices elsewhere in the world where they are sailing.

Personally I would wait and get the Samsung Galaxy Tab S II.

Have seen demo version, does everything the IPAD does and more, much thinner, better battery and plays flash, just to name a few points.

Very true. Apple has the name, but others have the features. :-)

On the ships I've been on they have not had any "hot" items such as the iPads available. Even if they did have them I'd recommend buying them at home if you intend to use them on your trip. The iPad is great to travel with and while you might be able to get limited use of it you'll do much better setting it up with your computer (it really needs to be set up through iTunes software on your PC or Mac computer), download some apps to try, upload photos, documents and possibly books and just get a tiny bit of experiance on how it works.

My understanding is that these are all sold at list price so your only savings potential is the sales tax. If you shop carefully you might be able to avoid this at home if you buy over the internet from an out of state retailer.

Also, if you are getting a 3G model you'll have to set up the 3G service through your cellular provider - something that probably can not be done on board.

Does anyone know if I phones were available? I want to get the 5 which supposedly comes out in October and will be cruising in December. I can wait 2 months to get it.

They've never had iPhones on the ship. The store is not a full Apple store. Also, at least in the USA iPhones have to be purchased in conjunction with the related cellular mobile service in order to get the normal selling price. Even if they are available without a service contract (and depending on when and how you want to buy them they often are not) they'll run hundreds of dollars more if you don't contract for the service with them and they are not set up on board to do this.

Last year I wanted a 4g and called celebrity.

They don't sell iphones.

Basically on the eclipse they had a small mac room and a cabinet with a few cases and a desktop charger that must have been made from some rare materials, the prices they were charging.

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone on Eclipse out of Southampton comment on availability or prices please?

The iPad 2 wifi 32gb is £479 for comparison

Thank you.

We have just returned from a trip to the Baltic on the Eclipse and I am sorry to report that they didn't sell any IPads at all. The staff told me that they weren't expecting to stock any IPads in the foreseeable future. We are hoping for better luck on the Constellation in October.

We have just returned from a trip to the Baltic on the Eclipse and I am sorry to report that they didn't sell any IPads at all. The staff told me that they weren't expecting to stock any IPads in the foreseeable future. We are hoping for better luck on the Constellation in October.

If you really want an iPad why wait for the Constellation. I'd recommend buying one from more traditional sources. I don't think I've ever seen one of these on board, even just before the iPad 2 came out and local supplies of the original iPad made it easy to find. at stores around us.

Archived