Why is Dress Code Only Adhered To In The Dining Room...???

I have been seriously considering HAL's fourteen day cruise to Alaska but after reading this thread there is no way I would subject us to that much censorship . I thought cruises were about the ports & enjoying the ship not the attire .

As ellieanne just said, don't let the comments of a few people stop you from doing the great 14 day Alaska. People posting on this board make up less than 5% of the passengers on the ships...that's less than 75 out of a1500 passenger load. Over all, most passengers are very easy going and easy to visit with. You will find bores on any ship, but they are easy to avoid...we will be doing that cruise later this summer and it is a great itinerary.

If the dress is anything like what we experienced on the Amsterdam in the South Pacific in Oct, the dinning room on formal nights looked very much like any nice US eatery. Yes, there were people all dressed up and then there were others less so though most men wear at least a jacket with nice slacks as the dress code suggest. The only thing we didn't see was shorts/t-shirts on any evening in the MDR. You won't see/hear any clothes critics.

This will be our 5th Alaska cruise, but first there on HAL. It may well be more casual than most. There are a couple of nights where the ship is in port late and it is light later also, so people tend to eat in other places on the ship or in port to enjoy more of the scenery. The nicest thing about HAL is that if you have a balcony, you can enjoy a full room service meal (during regular dinning hours) out there!

While I slowly type two more posted the truth of a HAL cruise. Go for it!

Uh, yes, we can. HAL has set the dress code for the public areas---not only the dining room. If people don't want to dress to code, and go to the Lido, then they have that right. But if they want to go to the public areas later on, then they should change after dinner.

It's just the reverse of those who dress down after eating, that's all.

You are absolutely right, Ruth! Even on a Smart Casual night, I've seen people dressed nicely in the MDR who run back to their cabin and change into shorts, tank top, and flip flops to go to the show! They can't even stay moderately dressed up for a couple more hours. That's a sad commentary on our American culture. People just don't care what they look like....it's all about comfort and what's easy. Very sad!

I have been seriously considering HAL's fourteen day cruise to Alaska but after reading this thread there is no way I would subject us to that much censorship . I thought cruises were about the ports & enjoying the ship not the attire .

It is not censorship. It is requested attire as set forth in many ships guidelines. Something important to know ahead of time when you choose your preferred cruise lines. There are cruise lines who do not even offer Formal Dining nights which will be a more comfortable fit if this bothers you about HAL, Princess and Celebrity. But this is hardly "censorship". C'mon now.

Wake up folks, all the "high end" cruise lines have dropped formal nights completely. It's only the mass market lines that keep it going. Five years from now formal nights will be a long memory and it's about time.

Halleluiah! Well said, thank God!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tired of all the "old timers" whining about the "the times, they are a-changing"............and I'm an "old-timer".

Enough!:D

Wow, this thread has gone really crazy with the "I don't want to be in a lifeboat with.." and tourist vs traveller comments (whatever that means) etc. I'm willing to wager that if the ship is sinking, you'll crawl your formally attired self into a lifeboat with a smart casual passenger without giving it a second thought. I even predict that you'll all be so happy that you're still on top of the water you won't even notice.

We get it already. Yes for goodness sakes, I'll at least wear a jacket and tie in the MDR, I promise. All these posts have beaten me down. After the MDR, however, all bets are off. HAL might suggest that I remain formally attired for the entire evening, but if I later decide to visit the fitness center, I'm not hopping on the treadmill in a suit.

Wow, this thread has gone really crazy with the "I don't want to be in a lifeboat with.." and tourist vs traveller comments (whatever that means) etc. I'm willing to wager that if the ship is sinking, you'll crawl your formally attired self into a lifeboat with a smart casual passenger, or even with one wearing jeans (Oh heaven forbid!) without giving it a second thought. I even predict that you'll all be so happy that you're still on top of the water that you won't even notice.

Getting in a boat with intentional rule breakers who brag about putting themselves first, last and always is not a good plan of action. The issue here is not the dress, but the intentional flaunting of ship guidelines. Pay attention to that or you miss the point of the argument.

Uh, yes, we can. HAL has set the dress code for the public areas---not only the dining room. If people don't want to dress to code, and go to the Lido, then they have that right. But if they want to go to the public areas later on, then they should change after dinner.

It's just the reverse of those who dress down after eating, that's all.

Well, if you seriously think that I am going to change into formalwear, after I have dinner in the Lido, dressed smart casual, just so that I can be in all public venues during the evening, you are sadly mistaken!!! :mad: It will not happen!!! According to you, if I choose not to dress in formalwear on formal nights, I am supposed to return to my stateroom for the balance of the evening!!! :mad: It will not happen!!!

Getting in a boat with intentional rule breakers who brag about putting themselves first, last and always is not a good plan of action. The issue here is not the dress, but the intentional flaunting of ship guidelines. Pay attention to that or you miss the point of the argument.

If HAL just changed the wording of formal night to be smart casual, formal optional, would you be OK with that?

If HAL just changed the wording of formal night to be smart casual, formal optional, would you be OK with that?

I would be most happy with this! Those who wish to "dress up" could continue to do so!

However it only took 13 posts before someone used the word "slob"!

Ain't that the truth

Don't you know you must never use the word SNOB

They can call people who prefer casual wear slobs.

They can tell them to go to another cruise line

They can tell them to stay in their cabin all night after dinner if they aren't dressed formall.

They can say they have no class

They can say they have a right to condem those in casual wear

They can call them "Tourists and not Travelers "

They can say they belong on shore and not the high seas

BUT DON"T CALL THEM SNOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its like the "N" word for formal night lovers :)

Ain't that the truth

They can tell them to stay in their cabin all night after dinner if they aren't dressed formall.

To be fair, it's mostly one poster.

I use the "N" word all the time, and I'm not ashamed to do it. I know a few people from that fine state, so I proudly shout "NEBRASKA, NEBRASKA, NEBRASKA!"

To be fair, it's mostly one poster.

I use the "N" word all the time, and I'm not ashamed to do it. I know a few people from that fine state, so I proudly shout "NEBRASKA, NEBRASKA, NEBRASKA!"

Well that is true , it is a very small group , but its the extremeists that stand out. Just like the ones who take casual wear to a new low.

Well as a New Englander , I will just have to reply to you with the "C" word .....Connecticut, Connecticut, Connecticut *LOL*

Ain't that the truth

It kind of reminds be of the self-appointed boarding police at the airport...the ones that grab me by the backpack and tell me I can't get on the plane yet, they're only boarding first class, or that I can't walk up to the front of the SkyPriority line, I have to get in the other line behind them. I smile, thank them for letting me know I'm in the right line and nod as they do the walk of shame past me to their seat in coach. I don't look the way they think a pax in first should, therefore I must be stopped.

No, I have not missed the point of the argument. I have also not missed the absurdity of some of the arguments postulated on the subject. My post was simply meant as an antecedent to suggest that we should all just get over ourselves already. Obviously, there are strong opinions on both sides, and neither is going to change the other's mind.

Take it from someone who has dealt with numerous life threatening situations over the past 30 years, given the choice, I'd rather be in a lifeboat with a mechanic dressed in shorts and flip flops than a tuxedo clad CEO. In emergencies it's generally independent thinkers who end up being the most useful (ie., Those who don't run with the herd.) In reality, I would hope that all of us would be in the boat together. My point is, you can't judge people simply by what they wear. Peace out.

It kind of reminds be of the self-appointed boarding police at the airport...the ones that grab me by the backpack and tell me I can't get on the plane yet, they're only boarding first class, or that I can't walk up to the front of the SkyPriority line, I have to get in the other line behind them. I smile, thank them for letting me know I'm in the right line and nod as they do the walk of shame past me to their seat in coach. I don't look the way they think a pax in first should, therefore I must be stopped.

Taz..I had to smile at this as it has happend to DW and me on several occasions when we have been vacationing on points-at airport check ins and at one or two hotel chains. DW asked me if this happened when I travelled on business (usually in a suit/jacket except for Sunday evening flights) and I have to say that it never did. I believe that your conclusion is correct. Too many people minding other people's business and judging the rest of the world by their standards.

The point is dealing with those who come on board and intentionally flaunt written guidelines. No, I don't want them in my life boat.

I for one hope they don't change the dress codes. I know some don't abide by them but for some of us, its fun to dress up. You're right, times have changed. All the more reason for a dress up occassion. There is a lot of time for casual dress, so let the ones of us who want to dress do so. If you don't want to, fine with me, but leave it alone. If we don't want to dress up for one reason or the other, we'll have dinner in the room or on the balcony.

No, I have not missed the point of the argument. I have also not missed the absurdity of some of the arguments postulated on the subject. My post was simply meant as an antecedent to suggest that we should all just get over ourselves already. Obviously, there are strong opinions on both sides, and neither is going to change the other's mind.

Take it from someone who has dealt with numerous life threatening situations over the past 30 years, given the choice, I'd rather be in a lifeboat with a mechanic dressed in shorts and flip flops than a tuxedo clad CEO. In emergencies it's generally independent thinkers who end up being the most useful (ie., Those who don't run with the herd.) In reality, I would hope that all of us would be in the boat together. My point is, you can't judge people simply by what they wear. Peace out.

For some reason you keep getting hung up on what people wear superseding what people choose to do. If they flaunt rules, conventions and/or guidelines and intentionally choose to put themselves first, last and always I don't want to share their lifeboat and have them put themselves first as proven by past behavior. Stick to the argument.

....... Too many people minding other people's business and judging the rest of the world by their standards.

The discussion is about printed and acknowledge ship standards, not "their" (aka personal) standards. Let's see if we can stay on topic?

I often wonder if men got into trouble by NOT wearing a suit to baseball games in the 30s and 40s.

Things change. We are a more casually dressed society now, and it continues to move to the more casual.

Point well taken! As I have said before, some of us can live with change. Some can not.

Archived