Why is Dress Code Only Adhered To In The Dining Room...???

Well stated! I could not agree with you more! It goes far beyond what passengers wear to dinner. It's the whole mental attitude thing...."It's my vacation, I paid for it, and I'll do whatever I want, regardless of what I should do!" I don't think I would relish the idea of sharing a lifeboat in an emergency with people of this mindset either!

Maybe you could request a change of lifeboats like a change of tables. :rolleyes:

I do not understand how what others wear affects me. Only if it reveals that I am an overdressed snob.

I think the reaction is just plain envy. Envy that one has been coerced by a spouse or others into being uncomfortable.

And there it is. Sooner or later, this post appears, although this thread may be a record. It took 150 posts before someone called those who dress up for formal nights snobs.

And why would you envy someone who has been coerced into being uncomfortable? (Somehow, I don't think that's what you meant, but it's how the sentence reads.)

I do not understand how what others wear affects me. Only if it reveals that I am an overdressed snob.

I think the reaction is just plain envy. Envy that one has been coerced by a spouse or others into being uncomfortable.

Envy??? I don't think so! Uncomfortable??? I never feel uncomfortable when I'm dressed up. And it's not me who's overdressed....it's the jeans & t-shirt crowd who are underdressed.

Envy??? I don't think so! Uncomfortable??? I never feel uncomfortable when I'm dressed up. And it's not me who's overdressed....it's the jeans & t-shirt crowd who are underdressed.

As long as everybody is comfortable with their choice of clothing (within reason), isn't that's what's important rather than forcing someone to conform to your standards?

Who gets to determine what's "within reason"? For some reason I thought it was HAL that got to make that decision, and they did so by 1.) setting out a dress code for most of the public areas of the ship, and 2.) setting up alternative venues for those who did not want to abide by their definition of "within reason".

Silly me.

As long as everybody is comfortable with their choice of clothing (within reason), isn't that's what's important rather than forcing someone to conform to your standards?

Love stirring the pot, eh? Somewhere I missed this was a "personal standard". Go back and read your cruise documents. If you don't want to dress up and/or insist the choices you make for formal wear are "too uncomfortable, please keep choosing other dining venues on Formal Night because you would be inappropriately dressed for that particularly occasion, just like if you showed up in your pajamas for breakfast even though you like them and you think they are comfortable and it is your vacation. Got that?

agreed, that is complete nonsense about triggering angst in the event of an emergency....almost as bad as saying those not dressed to code are tourists rather than travellers (and maybe should not be on HAL in the first place).

this is going south in a hurry.

Keep HappyCruiser out of my lifeboat. Not kidding. Bingo, you are right those who carry out their own petty rebellions against group guidelines remain tourists, and not keen travellers. You got that one right.

Obviously something deep does get triggered by these posts because we keep talking around something that goes well beyond the surface topic. Probably a generation gap as well - the Me Generation Rules are for Fools meets the Dutiful Silent Generation. I promise I will read more about this coming narcissistic generation since they will be compatriots for at least a few more decades in my own life. I had better prepare for what is in store as they dominate the cultural debate more and more.

.....Yes, there are many things that we are required to do when sailing, but dressing a certain way on formal nights, for some time now, has only been a suggestion not a requirement.

Just go someplace else. Stop making such a big deal about this.

Love stirring the pot, eh? Somewhere I missed this was a "personal standard". Go back and read your cruise documents. If you don't want to dress up and/or insist the choices you make for formal wear are "too uncomfortable, please keep choosing other dining venues on Formal Night because you would be inappropriately dressed for that particularly occasion, just like if you showed up in your pajamas for breakfast even though you like them and you think they are comfortable and it is your vacation. Got that?

Like I said previously I bend the rule to fit my needs and I don't wear pajamas.

Just go someplace else. Stop making such a big deal about this.

oh come on, this thread is getting harsh:( look, Hal posts the rules and has their dress code. It's not like we don't know what it is before we get on:p

It's really simple, those that chose not to dress nicely on formal nights have other avenues to eat in and those that choose to dress up go to the MDR:D

I actually am quite comfortable in my dresses. and we do enjoy dressing up.

Those that dress up are not snobs:D they are just people that like to dress up. those that like to be casual are not 'bad' - they just like to be comfortable. No big deal - the only thing is if people choose to wear casual to eat in the Lido, you really can't condemn them if they come to the show in casual. That's what they wore and really, in fairness we can't expect them to change clothes.

However, we can expect anyone who comes to the MDR to dress appropriately. Most do and few push the button (at least on my cruises). Boys if our flagrant poster was on one of our Med/Europe cruises, he could be embarassed. Everyone doesn't wear tuxes, but they do dress and I have failed yet to see a man without a tie:p

I have to agree with those who predict the end of formal night on mass market cruise lines. I took my tuxedo on the last cruise, and honestly walking to the dining room, felt a bit uncomfortable with some of the looks I received. I guess some of the people thought I was a dinosaur or something! Then again, I did get a few approving nods. This was one cruise that I saw the dining room staff turn away a gentleman in very casual clothes, not even business casual. He objected but said that he would return dressed a bit more appropriately. Maybe it was victory for the dress code. I for one will miss formal nights if and when they do disappear from the cruise scene.

oh come on, this thread is getting harsh:( look, Hal posts the rules and has their dress code. It's not like we don't know what it is before we get on:p

It's really simple, those that chose not to dress nicely on formal nights have other avenues to eat in and those that choose to dress up go to the MDR:D

I actually am quite comfortable in my dresses. and we do enjoy dressing up.

Those that dress up are not snobs:D they are just people that like to dress up. those that like to be casual are not 'bad' - they just like to be comfortable. No big deal - the only thing is if people choose to wear casual to eat in the Lido, you really can't condemn them if they come to the show in casual. That's what they wore and really, in fairness we can't expect them to change clothes.

However, we can expect anyone who comes to the MDR to dress appropriately. Most do and few push the button (at least on my cruises). Boys if our flagrant poster was on one of our Med/Europe cruises, he could be embarassed. Everyone doesn't wear tuxes, but they do dress and I have failed yet to see a man without a tie:p

Good comment, I agree with you. I will say that on our 31 day South Pacific last Oct there were several men in jackets, short sleeve shirts and no ties...including one we sat with. There were a few with no jacket and some in a tux..we had late seating. It will be interesting to see what the Alaska 14 day is like. I agree that Med cruises are usually bit more dressy.

Doesn't matter to us, if a guest is seated in the dinning room we assume they are dressed to meet HAL standards. Tux or shirt sleeves, doesn't matter to us, we are having to much fun to let someone's dress ruin our evening.

We definitely don't expect someone eating in the Lido in casual dress to go dress up to go dancing or the theater. That this issue would bother someone is rather snobish.

Just an observation:

The rules are what they enforce, not what they publish.

So true!

You forgot one thing on the Celebrity dress code...it is for the MDR only and DOES NOT apply to other areas of the ship. Celebrity had the intestinal fortitude to deal with the issue head on.

HAL continues to wimp out with suggestions and non enforcement. What do they expect....the waters to part??????

This was what the original post was all about!

And there it is. Sooner or later, this post appears, although this thread may be a record. It took 150 posts before someone called those who dress up for formal nights snobs.

However it only took 13 posts before someone used the word "slob"!

Update your "formal" wardrobe, is all I can offer. Trying to fit into clothes that don't fit is the problem; not "formal" clothes themselves because today formal clothes are wonderfully comfortable, easy to pack and look great on all body types.

For men too. If they are trying to stuff themselves into a formal suit they purchased decades ago or made in heavier fabrics than what is readily available today, this discomfort complaint draws no sympathy.

And if you don't like the dressed dining room chairs, then please visit another dining venue that evening. As Judge Judy was always famous for saying and used as her book title ...... "Don't *** on my leg and tell me it is raining."

My formal clothes do fit, and fit very well, thank you. They are still not as comfortable as casual clothes. By your comments, I can only assume you do your house work and relaxing in "formal" clothes. Obviously if they are as "comfortable and easy-to-wear" as you assert you can do so.

I wear formal clothes to the MDR and I go to the MDR on formal nights. Just because I would prefer the chairs not be dressed, does not mean I should stay away from a meal that I enjoy. I comment on every end-of-cruise questionnaire that the dressed chairs should be done away with. Conversations with the MDR staff show they agree with me.

It is possible to not like something and still participate in it. I don't like to go to funerals, but I do. I am sure there are things you do not like to do, but suffer through nonetheless. Apparently sharing YOUR cruise ship with formal-dress scoff-suggestion heathens is one of them.

- the only thing is if people choose to wear casual to eat in the Lido, you really can't condemn them if they come to the show in casual.

Uh, yes, we can. HAL has set the dress code for the public areas---not only the dining room. If people don't want to dress to code, and go to the Lido, then they have that right. But if they want to go to the public areas later on, then they should change after dinner.

It's just the reverse of those who dress down after eating, that's all.

Now exactly how much common sense does that make.....expecting people who dress casual and eat in the Lido to either change into formal wear OR stay in their cabin all night????????? It will not happen. And, pour some more sand over Hal's collective head.

Now exactly how much common sense does that make.....expecting people who dress casual and eat in the Lido to either change into formal wear OR stay in their cabin all night????????? It will not happen. And, pour some more sand over Hal's collective head.

Exactly....fortunately the stated dress code doesn't require that guest be formally attired to enjoy the after dinner activities.

Uh, yes, we can. HAL has set the dress code for the public areas---not only the dining room. If people don't want to dress to code, and go to the Lido, then they have that right. But if they want to go to the public areas later on, then they should change after dinner.

Where in the dress code does it set the dress code for the public areas?..I can't find it on their website...There is only a request that one remains in the suggested attire for the entire evening...When I eat in the Lido on formal nights I am wearing the suggested attire for there...To even suggest that HAL requires one to then change into formal clothes to see a show in my opinion is nonsense...

However this is easily settled...Just point out in the dress code where it tells me what areas formal attire is required and I will certainly follow HAL" rules...And I apologize if I mis-understood them.

I believe that HAL does specifically ask that people remain attired in formal wear throughout the ship on formal evenings. I guess the Lido, and going to and from are exceptions to that rule/request.

I have been seriously considering HAL's fourteen day cruise to Alaska but after reading this thread there is no way I would subject us to that much censorship . I thought cruises were about the ports & enjoying the ship not the attire .

I have been seriously considering HAL's fourteen day cruise to Alaska but after reading this thread there is no way I would subject us to that much censorship . I thought cruises were about the ports & enjoying the ship not the attire .

Please don't let this thread change your mind. I have never had censure on the ship. I have never even seen people with raised eyebrows in the dining room or around the ship. I think the relative anonymity of the internet message board allows people to be freer with comments. The dress code is, and has been for at least the 12 years, a suggestion, not a requirement. If you think you'll have a good time on a HAL cruise, and it goes to the ports you want to visit, GO! You will have a great time!

Don't fret about it. The busybodies and the madame judges on this board are silent when on the ship.

They are extremely polite when on the ship, notwithstanding the strong opinions but that should in no way impact your cruise. This board is one thing....it probably represents less than 5 percent of the cruisers so don't take their opinions to the bank as it were. Just go and have a wonderful time.

After reading previous dress code threads (they all turn out the same), I, too was ready to forget it and ask my travel companion if they would consider doing something else. Believe me, what's going on here is in no way reflective of the attitudes and attire I saw once on the ship. Don't let it stop you seeing the breathtaking beauty of Alaska.

Archived