Why is Dress Code Only Adhered To In The Dining Room...???

It doesn't have to be eliminated entirely but simply provide a section of the restaurant for both casual & formal. Until they do you'll have people like myself bending the dress code to fit my style & annoying those that truly want formal nights. What's more desirable, having a separate section for the formalists or intermingling the people who bend the rules scattered through out the dining room with their jackets hanging over the chairs & no ties & a short sleeve polo shirt (who had no intention of wearing a jacket in the first place?)

IMHO I would suggest that you eat in the Lido, or cruise on a line that is more like you want with freestyle crusing, instead of trying to bend the rules. Just makes more sense to me, instead of kicking and screaming that it dosent work for you, when so many cruise thier line of choice, expecting to follow the rules.

Also, FYI HAL offers course by course on balcony dining with white linens and a dedicated server, this is a great idea for folks who do not like to dress formally.

Just makes sense.

HAL and Princess have a suggested dress for formal nights that includes a jacket for men. But, since it is only a suggested dress, it does leave room for men wear a LS or SS shirt and slacks only, like it or not. Personally we are fine with it though we dress up a little more, but in no way formally, not any more.

HAL can't enforce anything they don't require.

Would you say that HAL compared to Princess has more people following their suggested dress codes or about the same?

Now this is an interesting statement as on another thread you made it clear that the minority should not rule and now, it appears it should.

I guess it just depends upon what you like;)

I'm not saying the minority should rule but only be noticed so that in the future things might change and if that takes bending a few rules, so be it.

IMHO I would suggest that you eat in the Lido, or cruise on a line that is more like you want with freestyle crusing, instead of trying to bend the rules. Just makes more sense to me, instead of kicking and screaming that it dosent work for you, when so many cruise thier line of choice, expecting to follow the rules.

Also, FYI HAL offers course by course on balcony dining with white linens and a dedicated server, this is a great idea for folks who do not like to dress formally.

Just makes sense.

No kicking, no screaming just doing as I like on vacation & when the day comes that they have the same food at the Lido I'll be there. Until then I'll go to the DR dressed as formally as it takes until I reach the table.

btw- it does work for me and many others as I've seen on other cruise lines.

Just makes sense.

In my experience, the food in the Lido at dinner is not exactly the same as in the MDR. I like to eat in the MDR and have the waiters serve me. In the Lido, the waiters do not know me and know that I like iced tea with my meal and do not have wine. And in the MDR, I have the same waiters each night. Not the case in the Lido.

I do not book balcony cabins and do not like the smell of food in my cabin, so I do not take advantage of room service. But if you are offering your balcony while you are in the MDR, I will gladly take it.

As for what other people wear, it is not worth getting your panties in a wad over. Perhaps their luggage was lost. Perhaps there is a reason they are not dressing in a tuxedo and formal ball gowns. Perhaps they suffer from a disease or disability that makes formal clothing unduly difficult. Everyone has a story. It's not for me to question. As long as they are not disturbing me in any way -- and not wearing a tuxedo hardly counts as disturbing -- there is no reason to bother with them. As you say, HAL offers course-by-course balcony dining, where you can have dinner in your bathrobe if you so desire.

I really do not understand why it makes such a difference. I am always properly dressed per the dress of the day when I go to dinner. I hate formal nights, not only because of uncomfortable stuffy clothing (and I do not care what anyone says, formal wear is not known for comfort -- if it were, it would be called comfort wear), but also because I despise the "dressed" chairs. I find them nearly impossible to maneuver and rotten to sit in comfortably. After the meal, if I choose to attend an organized function, I will stay in formal wear, or will redress in formal wear for the event. But if I am sitting away from the function in one of the public spaces (the Ocean Bar, the library, the Lido, or the Crow's Nest) and not making any effort to be included in the activity, I see no reason why I should be uncomfortable.

As for what other people wear, it is not worth getting your panties in a wad over.

You are absolutely right! BUT why are so many folks on these boards obsessed with what others choose to wear!

BUT why are so many folks on these boards obsessed with what others choose to wear!
  1. Because, although I enjoy an opportunity to get dressed up, it's not actually much fun if I'm the only person dressed up.
  2. And because a room full of dressed-up people looks nicer than a room full of casually-dressed people. (And behaves better too, according to BruceMuzz.)

You are absolutely right! BUT why are so many folks on these boards obsessed with what others choose to wear!

Follow the discussions more closely. The irritation is more what some passengers choose to do; not just what they choose to wear. They choose to flaunt the suggested dress guidelines and ruin it for the rest. That is the primary irritation when we are all sharing space together on the high seas. If there is ever a time for respectful group behavior it is on a ship on the high seas.

I don't want to share a real emergency with people like this who feel entitled to their petty rebellions so the issue goes far deeper than choosing to wear their "good jeans" to Formal Dinner night. It goes to good genes in the first place and that is the fundamental part of this argument.

Poor behavior choices in direct defiance of group sensibilities is a dangerous thing on the high seas. It triggers deeper angst and I would hate to get into the same lifeboat with people with this flaunt conventionality and duty attitudes.

...I'll go to the DR dressed as formally as it takes... (my emphasis)

I think this is the key statement, and is at the crux of the matter no matter where you stand on dressing up. It's likely the main reason why folks get so bent out of shape. Is good enough--good enough?

As far as I'm concerned, the maitre d's opinion is the only opinion that matters, since s/he makes the ultimate decision. It's the passengers' right to complain about that decision, should they wish to do so. You never know, it might influence the maitre d's next decision.

Either way, I'd be in the buffet long before I'd ever dress formally to eat. I might spruce up a bit should I wish to wander about the ship after supper on a "formal night." Not necessarily formal enough for some standards, mind you, but...good enough. To do otherwise is akin to peeing in somebody else's sandbox.

YMMV, and usually does;)

...... I hate formal nights, not only because of uncomfortable stuffy clothing (and I do not care what anyone says, formal wear is not known for comfort -- if it were, it would be called comfort wear), but also because I despise the "dressed" chairs. I find them nearly impossible to maneuver and rotten to sit in comfortably. ....... I see no reason why I should be uncomfortable.

Update your "formal" wardrobe, is all I can offer. Trying to fit into clothes that don't fit is the problem; not "formal" clothes themselves because today formal clothes are wonderfully comfortable, easy to pack and look great on all body types.

For men too. If they are trying to stuff themselves into a formal suit they purchased decades ago or made in heavier fabrics than what is readily available today, this discomfort complaint draws no sympathy.

And if you don't like the dressed dining room chairs, then please visit another dining venue that evening. As Judge Judy was always famous for saying and used as her book title ...... "Don't *** on my leg and tell me it is raining."

I don't want to share a real emergency with people like this who feel entitled to their petty rebellions so the issue goes far deeper than choosing to wear their "good jeans" to Formal Dinner night. It goes to good genes in the first place and that is the fundamental part of this argument.

Reading back on this thread & a few others I really don't see where anyone has said that they were wearing their good jeans on formal nights. It was talked about for casual evenings only.

Update your "formal" wardrobe, is all I can offer. Trying to fit into clothes that don't fit is the problem; not "formal" clothes themselves because today formal clothes are wonderfully comfortable, easy to pack and look great on all body types.

For men too. If they are trying to stuff themselves into a formal suit they purchased decades ago or made in heavier fabrics than what is readily available today, this discomfort complaint draws no sympathy.

And if you don't like the dressed dining room chairs, then please visit another dining venue that evening. As Judge Judy was always famous for saying and used as her book title ...... "Don't *** on my leg and tell me it is raining."

The issue may be more a state of mind than how comfortable/not comfortable the formal clothing feels. For example, take a women who only dresses in jeans or slacks, she may feel uncomfortable (as in self-conscious) putting on a dress or skirt. The clothes themselves may fit fine and be comfortable but she's not comfortable wearing them because she's not used to it.

It's only on Cruise Critic that people get bent out of shape about what others are wearing on formal night - or any other night. In the grand scheme of things, what the heck does it matter? I dress for formal night, I don't care what anyone else wears - it does not ruin my evening if someone is not dressed formally, and I have yet to hear anyone onboard say anything derogatory about another pax outfit.

I choose to sit on large tables and usually there is a mix of dress on formal night. No one cares. It's what YOU wear that counts. And on the rare occasions when we eat at the Lido rather than dress up, I do not skulk back to my cabin, ashamed to be seen. And no one expects you to.

The maitre'd will decide if you are not dressed properly, not other pax. That's it.

From my experience, I'd say HAL has more people following the dress code for dinner.

That's funny because I'd say the opposite. I've seen way more people on HAL not dressed in formal clothes then I have on Princess. I've also heard some people say that the dining room is empty on formal nights. Every cruise I've been on lately formal nights have been packed. So much for that theory.

PRINCESS CRUISE LINES

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men.

Length of Cruise Number of Formal Evenings Number of Smart Casual Evenings

1-3 Days None All

4-6 Days 1 3-5

7-13 Days 2 5-11

14-20 Days 3 11-17

21-28 Days 4 17-24

29+ Days 5 minimum 24+[/i]

HOLLAND AMERICA:

On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

CELEBRITY CRUISE LINES:

Examples of "Formal" attire include:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Proper Dining Attire

Dining aboard Celebrity is a true taste of luxury. A departure from the everyday. Whether dining at an intimate table for two or a convivial table for many, appropriate attire contributes to everyone's overall enjoyment.

Evening Dress Codes

Ladies: Skirt or pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) with collared sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Follow the discussions more closely. The irritation is more what some passengers choose to do; not just what they choose to wear. They choose to flaunt the suggested dress guidelines and ruin it for the rest. That is the primary irritation when we are all sharing space together on the high seas. If there is ever a time for respectful group behavior it is on a ship on the high seas.

Poor behavior choices in direct defiance of group sensibilities is a dangerous thing on the high seas. It triggers deeper angst and I would hate to get into the same lifeboat with people with this flaunt conventionality and duty attitudes.

If you are afraid that just because someone doesn't dress to your standard of formal, but is dressed OK by HAL standards (ie they are allowed to eat in the MDR) that they will not act properly in a emergency situation, maybe you shouldn't be on the high seas.

As you say above, HAL suggests. They don't require! So dressing nicely, but not formally can't be an act of rebellion.

In an emergency, it is good comon sense that matters. Over the years, I have seem lots of people decked out to the "9's" on formal night, but with "0" comon sense and doing really dumb things at other times.

It's only on Cruise Critic that people get bent out of shape about what others are wearing on formal night - or any other night. In the grand scheme of things, what the heck does it matter? I dress for formal night, I don't care what anyone else wears - it does not ruin my evening if someone is not dressed formally, and I have yet to hear anyone onboard say anything derogatory about another pax outfit.

I choose to sit on large tables and usually there is a mix of dress on formal night. No one cares. It's what YOU wear that counts. And on the rare occasions when we eat at the Lido rather than dress up, I do not skulk back to my cabin, ashamed to be seen. And no one expects you to.

The maitre'd will decide if you are not dressed properly, not other pax. That's it.

Well said, I totally agree, but we would order room service from the MDR menu since we do not care for the buffet style of the Lido for any meal, we enjoy the full service.

If you are afraid that just because someone doesn't dress to your standard of formal, but is dressed OK by HAL standards (ie they are allowed to eat in the MDR) that they will not act properly in a emergency situation, maybe you shouldn't be on the high seas.

It is the other way around. Those who refuse to honor ship board guidelines are the ones who should not be cruising and sharing this unique environment with their fellow passengers who are all on the same ship together. Once you board a ship, you give up your personal rights and entitlements. I thought you knew that. The balance of rights on board always tips in favor to the rights of ship's management and not to the asserted rights of the individual passenger. Best place for scofflaw passengers is on shore.

agreed, that is complete nonsense about triggering angst in the event of an emergency....almost as bad as saying those not dressed to code are tourists rather than travellers (and maybe should not be on HAL in the first place).

this is going south in a hurry.

It is the other way around. Those who refuse to honor ship board guidelines are the ones who should not be cruising and sharing this unique environment with their fellow passengers who are all on the same ship together. Once you board a ship, you give up your personal rights and entitlements. I thought you knew that. The balance of rights on board always tips in favor to the rights of ship's management and not to the asserted rights of the individual passenger. Best place for scofflaw passengers is on shore.

Scofflaw=> A person who refuses to put on a jacket & tie. ;):rolleyes:

The balance of rights on board always tips in favor to the rights of ship's management and not to the asserted rights of the individual passenger. .

So when "ship's management" decides to not enforce the dress code don't complain!

But would HAL then enforce the "smart casual" rule would it get pushed down to some wanting really casual casual and they would come to the MDR in shorts and t-shirts. After all, it is their cruise! I think this is one reason HAL keeps formal night. They know there are those that are always going to push the envelope mainly to see what they can get away with, so HAL keeps formal night knowing they won't enforce it, but figuring the envelope will then only be pushed so far down.

You definitely have a point there! Maybe that is the reason HAL keeps formal nights. Fine with me....I like formal nights! I only wish that people would comply with the dress codes that HAL sets forth. And I really wish that HAL, since they are the ones declaring the dress codes, would enforce those dress codes! Whatever the dress code is, I adhere to it. I'm not the type of person who feels that rules are made to be broken. I really wish that more people felt the same.

I agree totally it is the right of the ship's management to set what is and is not allowed in the MDR on formal night or any night for that matter. As far as I have seen in 30 years of cruising HAL and many other lines, that is exactly what they do...it is just that some are not happy with management's choice.

And no, I don't give up all my personal rights and entitlements when I board a ship, only the ones I have agreed to because they are over ruled by a regulation of the ship on which I choose to travel. Yes, there are many things that we are required to do when sailing, but dressing a certain way on formal nights, for some time now, has only been a suggestion not a requirement.

Well stated! I could not agree with you more! It goes far beyond what passengers wear to dinner. It's the whole mental attitude thing...."It's my vacation, I paid for it, and I'll do whatever I want, regardless of what I should do!" I don't think I would relish the idea of sharing a lifeboat in an emergency with people of this mindset either!

I do not understand how what others wear affects me. Only if it reveals that I am an overdressed snob.

I think the reaction is just plain envy. Envy that one has been coerced by a spouse or others into being uncomfortable.

Archived