Why is Dress Code Only Adhered To In The Dining Room...???

The point is dealing with those who come on board and intentionally flaunt written guidelines. No, I don't want them in my life boat.

Perhaps it would behoove you to advise the cruise line you're traveling on that you don't want to take the risk of being in a life boat with someone who may have broken written guidelines and, therefore, request a full accounting of all people assigned to your boat so you can scrutinize their behavior.

Sheesh!! :eek:

It would oh-so-ironic if your lilfe boat consisted only of families traveling with infants who all adhered to the "written guidelines" and those infants screamed incessantly while you were bobbing around on the high seas hoping not to die. :p

Seriously Kathy, on our last TA on the NA for 20 days, there was only one other person dressed besides myself & dh in the Neptune lounge. Yes, I can live with 8 am, but 9 or 9:30? I'm not joking. they were all in bathrobes.

Each to their own;) I wouldn't do it. But I have seen it. I saw it the year before too on our other TA but not to that extreme. I'm guessing some saw it and decided since they were doing they would too:confused: don't know but I would NEVER do it. Just me and each to their own;);)

Yikes, sounds like a PJ party! If I intended to be in my robe that late, I'd call room service, not wander around the ship.

My husband wanted to know what had me riled up as I read this thread. So I told him about it. His suggestion was to be sure to hashtag it #firstworldproblem. He was joking, but he has a point.

The point is dealing with those who come on board and intentionally flaunt written guidelines. No, I don't want them in my life boat.

At the passenger safety drill, on boarding day, do you ask all those gathered at your lifeboat station if they will be correctly attired on Formal Nights?

At the passenger safety drill, on boarding day, do you ask all those gathered at your lifeboat station if they will be correctly attired on Formal Nights?

Now there's an idea:D Maybe they should add it when they do the roll call:rolleyes:

Now there's an idea:D Maybe they should add it when they do the roll call:rolleyes:

Will they move you to another lifeboat if you answer that you will not? It could be a lifeboat lottery...

We have just returned from out 1st HAL cruise and was rather disappointed at the lack of other guests who actually wore DJ’s or TUX during formal nights.

We understand that this is probably due to baggage allowance restrictions imposed by many airlines – this we can accept – and in the dining room, guests still looked smart and men worse shirt/ties.

However, what aggravates me is that it only seems to be the main dining room which adheres to the dress code.

After formal dinner, we usually went into the Queens Lounge to enjoy the fabulous HALCATs and used to end up dancing next couples in denim & trainers or even worse tracksuit & croc style shoes, clothing which I would not even consider to be appropriate for ‘smart casual’….! I felt I was on an NCL freestyle rather than HAL. Not a pretty sight on photos to show friends and family when we are all dressed up and in the background all you see is tracksuits, jeans and trainers...

So – why is it just the dining room which seems to adhere to the dress code…???

A poster wants this thread to stay on topic...so the OP question had to do with what happened AFTER going to the MDR on formal night.

According to the dresss code guidelines as stated currently on line on the HAL web site:

Paragraph one states:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladiesusually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

Paragraph two states:

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

The reason one will find people dressed casually in after dinner venues on any night on any HAL ship is because on formal nights people have both options on any HAL ship. The MDR is formal on Formal nights and the Lido is Smart Casual on formal nights.

Paragraph two asks everyone to observe the suggested dress all evening...it does not state it is refferring only to the MDR dress. So, since HAL did not limit evening dress to the MDR dress, both Smart Casual and Formal is acceptable in the after dinner venues every night of a cruise according to HAL guidelines.

The word suggested is highlighted because that is exactly what it is a suggestion. HAL freely uses words like prohibited and required in several other places in the Life on the ship material and in the ship documents.

HAL doesn't have a prohibition on denim, tennis shoes and warmup suits either during the day or evening, though I agree tennis shoes and warnup suits are not smart casual by most definitions.....but hey the picture is of you not other people.

And finally in answer to ......

There are many posted ship rules and guidelines that don't generate the vitriol that dress guidelines engender. Always a curiosity why it brings such predictable argument.......

Mainly because the dress is a suggestion only...HAL is trying to give the people who want to dress up for dinner that option and are suggesting it plus they offer some nicer things on those nights, but they realize that just as many if not more guest may prefer stay in the regular smart casual for the evening and make the dress code a suggestion not a requirement. If people are truly dressed smart casual (and that doesn't include cargo shorts) they are welcomed by HAL staff in the MDR, in my experience, at least and according to that the OP said.

I don't think I have seen a post "complaining" about the people in formal attire...it is a few in the fromal only group that are generating the vitriol.

Say what you want, but how a person dresses has nothing to do with how they will act in a emergency. Nor does the fact that they don't dress to someone's ideal of the dress code suggestions, call them guidelines, rules, standards or what ever you want, HAL has not made those suggestions a requirement to enter the MDR or evening venue. The staff does not turn away people dressed less than formally, but do turn away very casual attire in the MDR.

My husband wanted to know what had me riled up as I read this thread. So I told him about it. His suggestion was to be sure to hashtag it #firstworldproblem. He was joking, but he has a point.

He certainly does.:)

Personally I don't care how anyone's dressed in a life boat ..as long a they can fish and row.;)

cnw is right on. The emergency bumfph is nothing more than a desperate last ditch effort to either justify an untenable position or create a red herring. There is no logic to it whatsoever.

Notwithstanding all that is posted, common sense will prevail with 99.999 percent of cruisers. I will trust to people's common sense in preference to some of the far out comment on this board.

Many pages back there was a posting from a person who apparently works for HAL. They listed four options for dealing with formal night. Those were very wise observations. HAL tracks all of the numbers and I'm sure they see a trend for passengers choosing to eat in the Lido or call room service rather than dress up for formal night. At some point this trend will cause them to adjust their policies since, as the employee pointed out, there are not enough servers to handle too many passengers dining via Lido or room service. The MDR appears to me to be an efficient method of serving food to a large portion of the ship's passengers and they will have to keep that option attractive to the majority of passengers.

Someone else had a great suggestion. Maybe they should have a mandatory formal attire night for the Pinnacle/Tamarind where the dress code could be fully enforced for those who truly enjoy the dress up evenings. However, I don't see that HAL can realistically enforce formal night attire throughout the ship.

I have worn tux as well as a suit and jacket and tie on formal nights depending on what I chose to pack or fit in. I don't remember anyone making a negative comment towards my dress while on board. I did feel funny notr wearing tux although many others didn't as well. I don't understand why it is so difficult for some men to put on a jacket and tie or a suit. Do they expect to be buried in jeans and a sweat shirt?

I have worn tux as well as a suit and jacket and tie on formal nights depending on what I chose to pack or fit in. I don't remember anyone making a negative comment towards my dress while on board. I did feel funny notr wearing tux although many others didn't as well. I don't understand why it is so difficult for some men to put on a jacket and tie or a suit. Do they expect to be buried in jeans and a sweat shirt?

Yup. And a baseball cap. :rolleyes:

and wear a suit or jacket and slacks to work. As for baseball caps, it's just rude to wear them in doors and to wear them backwards lowers ones IQ by 10+ points, sideways by 20.

Just maybe that's the exact reason they don't want to wear them on vacation & still be entitled to the same meal as you receive in the dining room.

wow why do ypu care what people wear? I stoppped looking for a evening gown or cocktail dress. I wore a very nice pair of slacks (dress) and two tops with a shawl. the rest I did smart cauual as was posted. I went to dining room to eat I coulkd care less what someone else wore

Mary

We have just returned from out 1st HAL cruise and was rather disappointed at the lack of other guests who actually wore DJ’s or TUX during formal nights.

We understand that this is probably due to baggage allowance restrictions imposed by many airlines – this we can accept – and in the dining room, guests still looked smart and men worse shirt/ties.

However, what aggravates me is that it only seems to be the main dining room which adheres to the dress code.

After formal dinner, we usually went into the Queens Lounge to enjoy the fabulous HALCATs and used to end up dancing next couples in denim & trainers or even worse tracksuit & croc style shoes, clothing which I would not even consider to be appropriate for ‘smart casual’….! I felt I was on an NCL freestyle rather than HAL. Not a pretty sight on photos to show friends and family when we are all dressed up and in the background all you see is tracksuits, jeans and trainers...

So – why is it just the dining room which seems to adhere to the dress code…???

This whole thread has really gotten out of hand. As we can see from the OP above, the question was why is it only in the dining room that the formal dress code is observed. It's a valid question. Why do people dress up in the dining room on a formal night and then change into the type of clothing you would wear while working around your house to go to one of the lounges? Don't people care what they look like anymore? And I'm not talking the degree of formal wear, since it has all different definitions to all different people. Some men feel they are formally dressed if they have a sport jacket on, while others define formal as being a tux. Same with the ladies....for some, a nice pair of black slacks with a pretty top is formal, while others wear beaded gowns. But, please....jeans and sneakers??? Jogging suits and clogs??? And for those who say, "Why does it matter to you what I'm wearing?" It matters because it changes the whole atmosphere of the ship. As the OP said, to be dancing in a lounge on a formal night, dressed formally, and have the couple next to you in jeans and sneakers....it just doesn't go together. The elegance of the evening goes right out the window. I'm thinking that maybe HAL should go back to the class system. That way those who can "own" the formal look and style and feel comfortable wearing it can join other like-minded passengers in certain venues. Or maybe the answer is that HAL should eliminate formal nights altogether, make every night smart casual (not "at-home casual"), and enforce it in every venue. I don't know, but the track HAL is headed on now (everybody do whatever you want) is ridiculous.

This whole thread has really gotten out of hand. As we can see from the OP above, the question was why is it only in the dining room that the formal dress code is observed. It's a valid question. Why do people dress up in the dining room on a formal night and then change into the type of clothing you would wear while working around your house to go to one of the lounges? Don't people care what they look like anymore? And I'm not talking the degree of formal wear, since it has all different definitions to all different people. Some men feel they are formally dressed if they have a sport jacket on, while others define formal as being a tux. Same with the ladies....for some, a nice pair of black slacks with a pretty top is formal, while others wear beaded gowns. But, please....jeans and sneakers??? Jogging suits and clogs??? And for those who say, "Why does it matter to you what I'm wearing?" It matters because it changes the whole atmosphere of the ship. As the OP said, to be dancing in a lounge on a formal night, dressed formally, and have the couple next to you in jeans and sneakers....it just doesn't go together. The elegance of the evening goes right out the window. I'm thinking that maybe HAL should go back to the class system. That way those who can "own" the formal look and style and feel comfortable wearing it can join other like-minded passengers in certain venues. Or maybe the answer is that HAL should eliminate formal nights altogether, make every night smart casual (not "at-home casual"), and enforce it in every venue. I don't know, but the track HAL is headed on now (everybody do whatever you want) is ridiculous.

Oy Vey!

bang-head-here-m.jpg.fcc4cae65a5ae131c0537f7146dd43ea.jpg

Wow I missed a few pages but this thread is ridiculous. I guess I would be considered steerage by some of those posting here but you know what? I am happy in myself and I love people no matter what they are wearing or not wearing.

I hadnt realised that the old class system still prevailed in the United States of America but I guess it is still alive and kicking by some of these posts.

What age are you all? Are you old enough to be my parents - you know that generation? I am a baby boomer and proud to be one. I have worked hard for my family and my community and this is going to be my holiday of a lifetime and I just hope I do not come up against people like some posting here.

Live and let live for heavens sake, accept change and be nice to one another for a change. A smile is worth far more than clothes!! (well usually)

Archived