Why is Dress Code Only Adhered To In The Dining Room...???

DH and I enjoy the formal nights --- we live a very casual lifestyle at home without much occasion to wear our "fancy duds and bling". Funny, how there are many upscale restaurants - landbased - that

require a jacket for the men --- women have it a little easier with

dressy pants, etc. ---- so why should a cruise ship be any different ?

We have been to many a restaurant where the "inappropriately dressed"

have been turned away ---- and the eateries are still in business !

I am sure you won't see cutoffs and flipflops in the dining rooms/public areas even on the "upscale" cruise lines in the evenings

You make it sound easy. And it is!!

I have a couple of vintage designer gowns that I bought on ebay, and I love them. Another good source of gently used formal wear is a local consignment or charity shop. Some of them have some surprisingly upscale stuff.

I like tracking the brand "Alex Evenings" on ebay. Some of their items start at 99 cents! This brand has some great, packable jackets and sparkly (non-shedding), stretchy twin sets. That plus a basic color skirt or pants is a very comfortable way to enjoy Formal Nights.

Good advice here reminded me when sitting at the MDR table only the top is really seen so bringing just one colorful dress-up top with a basic interchangeable skirt or pants, one does have Formal Nights covered.

I totally agree that on formal nights, the guests should remain in their formal attire throughout the entire evening. I absolutely love to "dress up" and look forward to seeing what the other female guests are wearing. Everyone looks so nice. It used to be that in the daily newsletter, there was a blurb saying that it would be appreciated if guests would remain formally dressed throughout the entire evening. Unfortunately, it does not say that anymore. I just got home from the Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterreanean Tapestry cruise, and I can honestly say, that the majority of guests were dressed appropriately throughout the entire evening. However, one person in our party, immediately changed into extremely casual wear after every formal dinner, and before the shows. I was totally embarressed and told him so, but it did not seem to matter. I thought that it was in very poor taste! My vote is to keep formal nights going. If you don't want to dress up, then go on NCL, which by the way, we did in February 2011, and will never cruise with them again!!!

If one plans on going swimming, one packs bathing suits and attendant accessories for the activity. Otherwise, you stay out of the pool

If one plans on going to Formal Night in the main dining room, one packs appropriate clothes too. Otherwise, you dine elsewhere than evening.

And if you are really clever, you can double a black tankini top for both occasions. :p

I do foresee formal nights becoming a thing of the past as we baby boomers move into our "golden years." I don't think it's as important to us as a generation. For example, when I was growing up, everyone went to church in a coat and tie. Now, most adults dress smart casual (I won't get into how some teenagers dress). To the 1950s it seems as though people dressed up just to leave the house. It's just the times moving on.

Some of us can live with change. Some can not.;)

Even most of the restaurants on land that required a jacket and tie have allowed almost any type of dress. I think Cunard is a bit more formal in their Princess and Queens dining rooms catering tyo those who expect to dress formal as well as expecting others to do the same. I have commented in the past that there should be one seating or dining room where formal dress is required and use the other room for casual. I have worn slacks and a jacket and tie on formal night when I couldn't fit into my tux but now have one large enough after too many cruises to hold me for a while. Maybe some cities are more formal than others but all their guests might not be aware of what dress is appropriate if they come from where clean jeans is formal.

If you don't want to dress up, then go on NCL, which by the way, we did in February 2011, and will never cruise with them again!!!

If one doesn't want to dress up there is no need to go on NCL...They are certainly welcome on HAL...On the few nights that are formal, HAL provides the Lido for those who do not care to dress up....There are many who respect the MDR dress code and eat in the Lido on formal nights.

I'm leaving on Tuesday for a 12 day Med cruise on another cruiseline and I just finished packing. With a 50 lb. restriction for just one bag on an international flight there's just not enough room for more than one formal dress and matching shoes. Actually, I would prefer not to bring that dress and shoes at all - but we do like to have dinner in the MDR.

Its the airlines that are making it difficult for people who want to respect the guidelines, to be able to do so. I agree that eventually formal nights will be a fond memory.

I have a very nice dress that I wore to my cousin's wedding(I've only worn it a few times-and one of the times was on my most recent cruise!). It's very light, but is dressy enough.

There is also the matter of me not being able to fit into evening/ball gowns. I feel very constricted.I'm not heavy, but I'm not supermodel size either!

If HAL gave an OBC certificate to those who come to the dining room in formal clothes, that could offset the extra bag charge on the aiirlines and anyone wanting to go formal could take advantage and dress appropiately. Even if you don't fly you could get the credit for following the dress guidelines.:rolleyes:

Even most of the restaurants on land that required a jacket and tie have allowed almost any type of dress. I think Cunard is a bit more formal in their Princess and Queens dining rooms catering tyo those who expect to dress formal as well as expecting others to do the same. I have commented in the past that there should be one seating or dining room where formal dress is required and use the other room for casual. I have worn slacks and a jacket and tie on formal night when I couldn't fit into my tux but now have one large enough after too many cruises to hold me for a while. Maybe some cities are more formal than others but all their guests might not be aware of what dress is appropriate if they come from where clean jeans is formal.

As my 6th grade teacher used to say, Ignorance is no excuse. The dress code is on HAL's website.

BTW, Cunard has the same dress code for all restaurants. In my experience, everyone on Cunard follows the dress code. In a lounge after dinner, I couldn't idnetify a Queen's grill passenger based on clothing. Even the "steerage" folks dressed well.

If HAL gave an OBC certificate to those who come to the dining room in formal clothes, that could offset the extra bag charge on the aiirlines and anyone wanting to go formal could take advantage and dress appropiately. Even if you don't fly you could get the credit for following the dress guidelines.:rolleyes:

I like this idea! It would give money to spend on more formal wear!!! :D

I'm leaving on Tuesday for a 12 day Med cruise on another cruiseline and I just finished packing. With a 50 lb. restriction for just one bag on an international flight there's just not enough room for more than one formal dress and matching shoes. Actually, I would prefer not to bring that dress and shoes at all - but we do like to have dinner in the MDR.

Its the airlines that are making it difficult for people who want to respect the guidelines, to be able to do so. I agree that eventually formal nights will be a fond memory.

There are really so many ways around this problem. There are so many easy pack lightweight options out there if you do a lot of cruising. Really, there are. We all face the same luggage restrictions too. Glad you still found room and when you get back look for some of the tips others have posted here to make it all work out so none of us have to bid a fond farewell to formal nights, at least not because of packing limitations.

I think that it is pretty obvious that there are a great many people who prefer to be in casual clothes. For many, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with airline baggage fees of the cost of those clothes.

They either feel more comfortable in, or prefer casual. So, a number of people do not attend formal night in the MDR. Does it seem reasonable that they should remain esconced in their respective cabins all night? I don't think so. Then there are a fair number who do dress for dinner but change afterwards because they prefer to or they are more comfortable.

So that is the simple explanation I suspect that their numbers are growing-whether or not this is perceived as good or a not so good thing. But there is really no mystery to it.

I cannot really see that not dressing up, not attending the MDR on formal nights, and not staying in one's cabin on those formal evenings can be such a big deal. Live and let live.

I'm not a proponent of formal nights particularly (though I do notice what people wear and I do think it affects the overall ambience on board ship....). However, just wanted to say that it's very easy to pack within the airline's limits and have plenty of clothing for formal nights (and even to dress well on the "smart casual" nights).

I have done 3 Med cruises in the past two years (each 12 days plus extra days before/after), and I was able to pack one 24" suitcase (under 50 lbs) and one carry-on that included 2 long skirts plus 3 different tops/jackets for formal nights. Plus I don't think I ever wore the same outfit twice for smart casual nights (I did repeat a couple of "bottoms" but not tops).

IMO, people take way too many things that are not clothing, just on the off-chance they might need them. Also, I only take 4 pairs of shoes (one of which I wear).

I would be happy to forego formal nights, but I do wish people would NOT wear shorts and t-shirts in the evenings. I would never wear them out to eat (or out on the town) at home; can't imagine why they seem appropriate on board ship. :confused:

I think that it is pretty obvious that there are a great many people who prefer to be in casual clothes. For many, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with airline baggage fees of the cost of those clothes. .......

Which is why choosing the more "free style" cruise lines is a better choice for people insisting on casual wear 24/7. The issue here is HAL still recommends formal dress guidelines, and these self-confessed freestyle choice cruisers want to inflict their choices on us instead of taking another cruise line that specifically caters to their casual wishes.

I don't blame people for getting upset when passengers who know what the guidelines and expectations are for this particular cruise line, but then choose to ignore them and worst of all scold others for wanting the cruise lines to honor these very dress guidelines they had willingly signed up in the first place. Yup, that gets under the craw. :(

Which is why choosing the more "free style" cruise lines is a better choice for people insisting on casual wear 24/7. The issue here is HAL still recommends formal dress guidelines, and these self-confessed freestyle choice cruisers want to inflict their choices on us instead of taking another cruise line that specifically caters to their casual wishes.

I don't blame people for getting upset when passengers who know what the guidelines and expectations are for this particular cruise line, but then choose to ignore them and worst of all scold others for wanting the cruise lines to honor these very dress guidelines they had willingly signed up in the first place. Yup, that gets under the craw. :(

HAL may very well recommend that on formal night people should dress formally but the ones who don't wish to conform haven't chastised those that want to dress. They simply stated their feelings although they might not be in agreement with the majority. From what I can see HAL offers a decent product although still a little to formal for my taste but my dressing down should have no effect on any of those that wish to.

HAL may very well recommend that on formal night people should dress formally but the ones who don't wish to conform haven't chastised those that want to dress. They simply stated their feelings although they might not be in agreement with the majority. From what I can see HAL offers a decent product although still a little to formal for my taste but my dressing down should have no effect on any of those that wish to.

Yup, that gets under my craw. :( Outta here.

There are really so many ways around this problem. There are so many easy pack lightweight options out there if you do a lot of cruising. Really, there are. We all face the same luggage restrictions too. Glad you still found room and when you get back look for some of the tips others have posted here to make it all work out so none of us have to bid a fond farewell to formal nights, at least not because of packing limitations.

My husband hasn't found an easy pack tux yet.

Archived