Carnival 1st timer

Hiipy

I have just booked my first Carnival cruise (and this is my first time ever blogging!). Anyway-My husband and I are taking our kids (9 and 11) on their first cruise in November. We are doing the Exotic Western itinerary on the Legend. My husband and I have cruised before-years ago-once on Princess, once on Royal Caribbean. I have booked by kids in a room across from ours (we have balcony-they have inside). Does anyone think there will be any safety issues with this? I'm rethinking the rooms I've booked. It was cheaper than joining rooms-two with balconies.

So many variables still remain since I don't know you or your kids but I would say that not letting them have a balcony is a good idea. There is still a lot of trouble they can get into if they want to from an inside cabin but if you have raised them to respect other people and property you should be fine.

Hope you have a great trip.

I have just booked my first Carnival cruise (and this is my first time ever blogging!). Anyway-My husband and I are taking our kids (9 and 11) on their first cruise in November. We are doing the Exotic Western itinerary on the Legend. My husband and I have cruised before-years ago-once on Princess, once on Royal Caribbean. I have booked by kids in a room across from ours (we have balcony-they have inside). Does anyone think there will be any safety issues with this? I'm rethinking the rooms I've booked. It was cheaper than joining rooms-two with balconies.
Hi Hiipy ... welcome to Cruise Critic! Which Legend date are you on? We are going NOV 6. If you are too, come join the roll call.:D It will be our first Carnival cruise too.:)

It is smart to get the two rooms (2 bathrooms, privacy, etc.). Many people do what you did (booking across the hall) but some lines have age restrictions about rooms ... like someone in the room must be over 16 or 18. Then one parent and one of the kids get registered for each room (and get keyed that way) but they don't check to see who sleeps where.;)

Cheers!

welcome to CC! Don't worry about the rooms you booked, lots of folk make the same arrangements and with a little parental supervision, it works out fine. Plan activities like shore shore excursions for the morning so the kids have reason to go to sleep at a decent hour.

Legend actually has a few rooms that actually have a Balcony room that connects with an inside. Yes, this sounds crazy. The only drawback is that it's all the way forward. Your room would be the very first Balcony room.

An example is on Upper Deck 5 Rooms 5108 (Balcony) coneects to room 5106 (Inside). Scroll through the Deck plans and you'll see what I'm talking about.

EDIT: you can also go to cruise line rooms dot com, click on Miracle(sister ship) then click on rooms 7106 and 7108 to see pics of these 2 rooms connected.

At 9 and 11, I would have them in the room with ME unless it was an adjoining room that I could keep the adjoining door open. But, as you said not one with a balcony. Being across the hall with 2 doors separating us would not be an option either until they were older. I'm not trying to be mean to you about your decision. I just know I would be worried about the "what if's" the whole cruise. There are some not so nice people, even on a cruise in this world. I hope you and your family have a great time. :)

I just did the same thing with my 13 y/o and his friend and we were constantly checking on them. They are alittle older than yours but if they understand to not open the door to anyone, and you are going to be in your room at the same time as they will be I think it is close enough to not be a problem. I kept my husbands and my cell phones on (and had the service temporarily suspended on the kids ) so that my son could text me if need be. Plus we called eachother alot (so much that I was getting aggravated:eek:). Like others said just ask for an extra room key at the customer service desk when you board and you can go in and out of their room to check on them.

Have a great time! We just got off of our first cruise with a balcony room and for us I don't think we would have enjoyed our cruise as much without the balcony. We didn't participate in alot of the planned activities and such, just walked around the ship, layed on the serenity deck, and sat on our balcony reading....

As a child, I cruised with my parents like this all the time. If your kids are reasonably responsible, you should be fine. You might want to use cash with their S&S cards if you think they might get carried away with the smoothies or arcade. Also they should be responsible for keeping their room reasonably clean for the room steward. Using a laundry bag for dirty clothes is a great way to keep them off the floor.

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions. My kids are very responsible-it was more a safety issue I was worried about. We are so excited. We are leaving Nov. 13.

My grandson was a sleepwalker when he was young and my daughter and I took him on a cruise and we all shared the same room. He got up one night, opened the deadbolt lock on the stateroom door and walked right out into the hallway. Luckily, I woke up when he did and brought him back into our room. He had no recollection of doing this. After that night, we piled a chair and our suitcases in front of the door every evening.

I thought Carnival required someone over 21 to be in a cabin with anyone under 21. When our son and his girlfriend went with us several years ago, that was the rule. They were both 20 and very close to being 21, but I had to be booked in the cabin with his girlfriend and my husband booked in the cabin with my son. Once on board, they stayed in one cabin and we in the other.

For the ages of your children, however, I'd be very uncomfortable having them across the hall or even beside me by themselves. You never know what can happen and who they may open the door to. I've read posts where people's key cards have opened cabin doors by mistake that weren't theirs.

I personally wouldn't do it.

From a grandmother here who has taken the grandkids on a cruise...There is no way I would let a 9 year old and 11 year old sleep by themselves in a cabin across from me...strange environment for everyone...a lot of people on the ship, some drinking going on...it's just like a small city.. a city you are not familiar with....would you be comfortable with them in a hotel room across from you??

We love our balconies..but an outside room is good too...you could possibly get connecting outsides..that would be workable IMHO....

Hope you have a great cruise:):):)

Welcome to cruise critic and welcome to the wonderful world of Carnival. We were on the Legend in May 09 and loved it. We took our 11 yo grandson and two of our sons with us. The ship is fabulous and the ports of call are great. No problem at all with safety. Just give your kids the guidelines they have to follow and keep an eye on them. Someone mentioned walkie talkies. We took them with us and it was a great way to keep in communication with the boys. Our grandson loved camp carnival. There weren't that many kids though, so he didn't have very many playmates with him.

At 9 and 11, I would have them in the room with ME unless it was an adjoining room that I could keep the adjoining door open. But, as you said not one with a balcony. Being across the hall with 2 doors separating us would not be an option either until they were older. I'm not trying to be mean to you about your decision. I just know I would be worried about the "what if's" the whole cruise. There are some not so nice people, even on a cruise in this world. I hope you and your family have a great time. :)

Same with us. Our kids were 16 (DS) and 12 (DD) on our last cruise and they stayed in the cabin with us. We have done it with an Ocean View and a Balcony room and we never felt too crowded. We all enjoy being together on a vacation, they go off and do their own things if they want, but we do end up doing a lot of things together. If we had to book two cabins, it would not work out financially for us. We would rather have the "togetherness" for a week in one cabin and be able to cruise more often.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I'm a mom of 2 boys (14 &15) and an accomplished worrier! I always weigh the benefits of what I want with the reality of what I want.

I my opinion, there are so many things that could go wrong with a 9 and 11 year old on their own across the hall. Maybe someone knocks on their door at 2 am and they think it's you and they open the door... Maybe someone follows them back to their cabin and as they unlock the door, pushes their way inside....Maybe one of them gets sick in the middle of the night...

To me, it's not worth the worry or danger of having them in their own cabin at this age. If I couldn't get adjoining cabins, I'd book a quad and have them in the cabin with me and dad.

All that being said, my boys are booked in their own cabin next door to ours on our upcoming cruise. However, this will be their 7th cruise and they will be 14 and 16 and in high school at the time.

I've got to go with the "wouldn't do it" camp on this one. If they were teens, I wouldn't be so concerned, but 9 and 11 just seem too young. (I wouldn't do it with my 10 year old.) The adjoining cabins seem like the perfect solution--you get a little room and privacy, but they are just on the other side of the door.

Of course, chances are 99% that all would be well even in a separate cabin. Still, I'd be constantly worried and that would really lessen my enjoyment. Whatever you decide, hope you have a great cruise.

Hi there,

I read the first ten posts or so thinking to myself.... I need to let them know the rooms are bigger on Carnival, and cruising in a Quad isn't that bad! ..... Now I see I am not the only one saying this!

While I realize you will have some less privacy, your kids will be so busy doing activities that you will have plenty of time alone, if you chose to book one cabin.

I have three kids, 16, 12 and 6..... and have yet to book a second cabin for them (only time we had two connecting are the few times my mom has cruised with us!)

I think if they were 11 and 13, I would feel a lot differently than 9 and 11. BUT>> no matter what, they are YOUR kids - you are going to have a blast no matter what!!

Have fun and good luck with your decision!

Catrin

Carnival rules are one person has to be 25 years old in a room.....You might have problems ahead.

No those are not Carnival's rules. From FAQs from Carnival website on age requirements:

Carnival's policy regarding guests traveling alone or traveling with minors:

Guests are required to be 21 years old (on embarkation day) to travel. Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older. The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

Guests Under the Age of 21 Traveling with Parents / Grandparents

Guests under the age of 13

• Minors can be booked in separate staterooms, only if booked next door or directly across the hall from the Parents/Grandparents stateroom.

Note: Minors 13 and under may only be booked in a balcony stateroom with the Parents/Grandparents"; this also applies to connecting staterooms.

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

• Minors can be booked in separate staterooms, by up to 3 staterooms in between the minor stateroom and the Parents/Grandparents stateroom.

Note: Minors age 13 may only be booked in a balcony stateroom with the Parents/Grandparents; this also applies to connecting staterooms.

Guests 18 years of age and older

• Minors are 18 and older not required to be booked within close proximity nor on the same deck as the Parents/Grandparents. However, we will place you as close together as possible.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?icid=CC_Header_466#q-544480

I think it depends on your kids and only you can answer that. We booked us in 1 cabin when our kids were that age, but ONLY because of financial reasons. My kids were very responsible at that age, but not all kids are. It's your call, but I do like the idea of having a baby monitor so you can hear what's going on across the hall.

Archived