5 Pearls of French Riviera in a 9 hr tour...Possible? What to skip?

cruisecouple88

We have booked a 9 hr our while in Villefranche to visit the 5 pearls of the French Riviera - Cannes, Nice, Monaco, St. Paul, and Eze. I know a little ambitious, but I don't want to miss anything :)

If we have to skip one which would you skip? And if you could to spend more time at one place which would you choose?

Thanks!

We have booked a 9 hr our while in Villefranche to visit the 5 pearls of the French Riviera - Cannes, Nice, Monaco, St. Paul, and Eze. I know a little ambitious, but I don't want to miss anything :)

If we have to skip one which would you skip? And if you could to spend more time at one place which would you choose?

Thanks!

I wouldn't book with any guide who promised that you could have any form of decent tour while taking you to all five of those places in nine hours. Sounds more like a scavenger hunt to get photos than a real tour.

Better plan would be to get the Rick Steves guide for Provence (it includes the French Riviera) and look for things that you want to do and see and contact another guide about a realistic plan to see those few things that really interest you. I wouldn't worry about what interests other on Cruise Critic. Some love cathedrals. Some love art. Some love leisurely dining and people watching. Some love scenery. Some love ruins. It's all what you like.

We are taking our kids (teen and tween) and have a full day in Monaco. We're taking a bus to Nice and seeing the Course Saleya, Promenades des Anglais, and maybe stopping in the Hotel Negresco and then seeing the Oceanographic Institute /Aquarium in Monaco and maybe the gardens and Palace after that. Lunch will hopefully be at Course Saleya in Nice. Last year, we did get to visit the Chagall Museum in Nice and might see the Matisse Museum this year if the kids are interested. But that will depend on how we are running on time. You can't see everything.

Personally, that's insane. It might work for somebody who enjoys traveling between towns more than they enjoy visiting towns. But for most people, forget it.

I'd pick one or two, depending upon what you most want to see. But if you really want to do most of them, Cannes would be the first to go.... least amount of "unique" sites, far travel.

I have to say that I don't think it's insane at all. We have probably one of the best days ever and did everything you listed except Cannes in 6 1/2 hours so 9 to add in Cannes is completely fine...but let me reiterate, a 9 hour tour will wipe you and honestly, there's not much to do and see in Cannes.

We were picked up in Villefranche and taken directly to Nice to the Flower Market and took in a couple of the views. Then to St. Paul for Lunch where we also had lots of free time to walk around. Then enroute to Monaco we stopped in at Eze, again lots of time then down to Monaco before driving around Cap Ferrat back to Villefranche. We were picked up at 10:30 and were back by 5. One of the best tours we've ever done.

Sounds overambitious to me!

And you've not included Villefranche itself, which, from what I've heard and read, is very pretty.

We're planning to get the train to Monaco/Monte Carlo and then get back in time to have a look round Villefranche before getting back to the tender.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, Cruise Junky!

Was the tour of the French Riviera that you mentioned a private or ship's tour? If private, who was your guide or tour company?

Thanks so much!

Hi, it was private through Sylvie di Cristo. We had 7 from our roll call

http://tourguides.viator.com/tour-guide-sylvie-di-cristo-6209.aspx

• 2 weeks later...
You could certainly cover them all in 9 hours, but you'll be tired and won't have long at each stop! I'd drop Cannes. It's the furthest out and boring IMHO. Spend more time on the others.

hi, i live in nice and just booked my first cruise. i would agree to drop cannes and also maybe st. paul. if you got to eze then you will get a good feel of the old villages in our area.

also it will be a rush around the places. monaco, eze and nice fit together well.

I used to recommend that folks such as the OP rent an old movie called "It It's Tuesday This Must be Belgium." Here is the bottom line. Some folks want to see as much as possible in a short port day and there are excursions that fit the bill (such as the tour described by the OP). Yes, that kind of tour will give you a chance to see lots of places in a day, but perhaps the real question is whether you will really see anything. For example, we often go to St Paul de Vence when we are in the region (on cruises or simply on a driving trip) and cannot imagine spending less then 2 hours within this town. In fact, we normally spend at least 2 - 3 hours just browsing the various shops and galleries and another 1 to 1 1/2 having a nice lunch. Nice is a large city which has a terrific market on most mornings (in the old town on the Cours Selaya). Just browsing this outdoor market would take mere mortals at least an hour...and this is only one tiny aspect of Nice. I guess your tour would be like trying to see several Illinois cities in a day. Can it be done? Sure. But is that the way you like to travel? If so...then book the tour.

Hank

Archived