In room Alcohol

But that isn't the question your poll asked. It asked "would you pay" and gave a wide range of prices to pick from, plus the 'I would not pay anything option". 70% percent indicate a willingness to pay SOME premium, if if it was as low as $15.

Anyway... Not that it matters too much. I probably wouldn't need/want a bottle of hard liquor for reasons mentioned earlier. But a bottle of wine of champagne? Some beers in a mini bar? That would be nice. I guess I don't get why they would eliminate a potential revenue stream. It wouldn't be the ONLY way to drink. Just another way to buy something to drink. Just like the extra pay specialty restaurants are other ways to pay extra money to eat.

You CAN order wine for your cabin, just not hard liquor! Go ahead, check out the menu: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/category/home.do?catCode=WINE

Hmm.. I assume this is pre cruise order? What's available via room service?

But still no beer in the so called mini-bar, right? If the mood strikes and I just want one and can't dash out to get one and don't want to wait for room service..

I guess I am used to having a lot of options to part with my money on vacation while staying in hotels. I'm still surprised that RCI wouldn't cash in on a fairly common revenue stream.

But still no beer in the so called mini-bar, right? If the mood strikes and I just want one and can't dash out to get one and don't want to wait for room service..

I guess I am used to having a lot of options to part with my money on vacation while staying in hotels. I'm still surprised that RCI wouldn't cash in on a fairly common revenue stream.

Simple solution. Buy a bucket of beer, tell the bartender not to open them and stash them in the fridge. I do this a couple of times on each cruise so I can enjoy a couple of beers on the balcony when the mood hits me. Bring a small foldup cooler and have the cabin steward fill it with ice and keep the beer there if you want it really cold though.

You can order both onboard. We try to keep both reds and whites in our cabin, so that we can pour a glass when others come to visit.

One of the beauties of a suite, is that there is room enough to entertain.

Rick

When we were on the Freedom in June, we bought a couple of bottles of what they call cabin size bottles in St. Martin that we actually ended up bringing back home without opening. While we were willing and expecting to turn them in when we got back on the ship, they let us bring the items back to our cabin without even questioning. Not sure if this is the norm or not once you get to an island.

Royal Caribbean, has gone overboard

Actually George Smith went overboard before RCI did. They got pinched pretty hard by the lawsuit from his widow and the settlement may have had clauses requiring a stricter policy.

Then again there are legal sharks in the water just wating to blame the cruise lines for serving alcohol in excess. As noted with this blog related to the "all you can drink" packages RCI is trying out:

http://fortlauderdale.injuryboard.com/mass-transit-accidents/royal-caribbean-cruise-lines-offers-passengers-all-you-can-drink-deals.aspx?googleid=290228

From time to time there are threads detailing incidents where people have been refused to be served alcohol. Apparently there is a way to track and see consumption when the SeaPass is read. But consumption from a private bottle in cabin can't be - despite the inconsistancy of allowing wine. In the end the bottom line RCI is probably worried about is not the profits at the bars but the losses from lawsuits or out of court settlements. Having a strong policy (whether enforced or not) can be a shield to hide behind.

Simple solution. Buy a bucket of beer, tell the bartender not to open them and stash them in the fridge. I do this a couple of times on each cruise so I can enjoy a couple of beers on the balcony when the mood hits me. Bring a small foldup cooler and have the cabin steward fill it with ice and keep the beer there if you want it really cold though.

that sounds like work on my end. You under estimate my laziness and desire to be served when on vacation. :D

I'm another one that would like to have a bottle in my room for convenience. It has nothing to do with cost, it's all about convenience. If I was not in my cabin, I would never walk back there just to make a drink, I would buy it at the nearest bar. BUT, if I was sitting in may cabin (waiting for DW to get ready for dinner, maybe) I would like to be able to mix myself a drink.

Archived