cruise line costs

meow!

There is a wonderful new thread by Jaffa on the Silversea board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=29711117#post29711117

While the numbers are for Silversea, you can imagine similar patterns for Oceania.

On posting #5 of that most informative thread are the following numbers on how much cruise lines spend on food:

"Here is a general break-down, per passenger, per day:

Seabourn, Silver Sea - $24 - 26 per day

Oceania, Regent - $18 - 20 per day

Celebrity, Princess - $12 - 15 per day

RCCL, HAL - $12 - 13 per day

Carnival - $8 - 10 per day

NCL - $7.50 - 8.50 per day"

Assuming the above to be correct, you get the idea.

There is a wonderful new thread by Jaffa on the Silversea board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=29711117#post29711117

While the numbers are for Silversea, you can imagine similar patterns for Oceania.

On posting #5 of that most informative thread are the following numbers on how much cruise lines spend on food:

"Here is a general break-down, per passenger, per day:

Seabourn, Silver Sea - $24 - 26 per day

Oceania, Regent - $18 - 20 per day

Celebrity, Princess - $12 - 15 per day

RCCL, HAL - $12 - 13 per day

Carnival - $8 - 10 per day

NCL - $7.50 - 8.50 per day"

Assuming the above to be correct, you get the idea.

Thanks for that link meow - very interesting post.

I have no idea if the food costs are accurate but they "sound" right - at least proportionally. As the OP stated - if these numbers are correct, the cruise lines have strong buying power when it comes to purchasing food supplies (it makes Costco look extravagantly expensive).

Interesting, also, is adjusting for "buying power"...

You've got to think that the various "umbrella" corporations leverage their buying power for all of their lines...So, it makes sense that Oceania and Regent spend about the same...and that Royal Caribbean and Celebrity do as well...

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have a LOT of ships and carry a lot of people...and one can imagine the numbers would be close but, perhaps, slightly more for Celebrity due to some more upscale menu items...

So, the one that really stands out is Carnival/Princess/Seabourne...These guys are BIG...But it is interesting to note the disparity BETWEEN the lines in their own group!

Despite their overall bargaining power, they spend substantially less on Carnival...$8 per day per passenger!!! I would have trouble buying one decent steak and cooking it myself for that...I am guessing that their buying power is really strong, but that they still cut a whole bunch of corners to spend that little...

I would put Crystal in the first group. On the 8 sailings with the line, never had a bad meal. And their theme buffets on deck were outstanding both for food and presentation.

Just so these meanderings don't go too far afield, the costs posted are most definitely NOT accurate, for ANY of the lines.

Complete conjecture.

I was first alerted to check because I knew that the numbers posted for Carnival had to be much too low. I'm not a fan of their product, but they are much too smart to low-ball on the food.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=29711117#post29711117 posting #5

Jaffa wrote, "The numbers you are looking for are very carefully guarded secrets in the cruise industry. The cruise lines are even reluctant to give them to each other."

Being ordinary individual consumers, we believe Jaffa is correct, and revealing the truth from reliable sources. Even moderators of these boards thanked him for his great posts.

....Jaffa wrote, "The numbers you are looking for are very carefully guarded secrets in the cruise industry. The cruise lines are even reluctant to give them to each other." Being ordinary individual consumers, we believe Jaffa is correct, and revealing the truth from reliable sources.
The quote attributed to Jaffa above was actually made by Philip217, a senior officer with a major cruise line, in Nov'09. The food costs provided were accurate as of Oct'09. At the time, Philip stated that food prices were rising steadily and were due to rise soon (and likely many more times since then). So fair to say these numbers are no longer accurate. Here are the original posts that Jaffa referenced:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=22159681&postcount=4

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=22167524&postcount=12

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=22168620&postcount=18

Thank you kindly. That gives further credibility to the numbers. They are not conjectures. October 09 is less than two years ago, it cannot be much different even given inflation.

Thank you kindly. That gives further credibility to the numbers. They are not conjectures.

The numbers might have changed since 2009 but presumably in the same proportion for all cruise lines. Thus they are still valid for comparison purposes - at least it would be reasonable to assume that.

I guess I fail to understand the obsession some people have of trying to figure out how much profit others make, as if profit is evil or something.

If you like the product at the price point offered you buy and/or repurchase as the case may be because you've assessed the value proposition being offered. In other words the value is equal to or greater than the price.

If you don't believe the value is at least equal to the price you don't buy.

If enough people don't buy the company needs to adjust their prices or adjust their offering. If they don't, they die.

The only relevant measure to me, the consumer, is what did it cost me to purchase the product for my own consumption. I want the providers of the product to make some profit along the way because if they don't they won't be offering me that product in the future.

I guess I fail to understand the obsession some people have of trying to figure out how much profit others make, as if profit is evil or something.

If you like the product at the price point offered you buy and/or repurchase as the case may be because you've assessed the value proposition being offered. In other words the value is equal to or greater than the price.

If enough people don't buy the company needs to adjust their prices or adjust their offering. If they don't, they die.

The only relevant measure to me, the consumer, is what did it cost me to purchase the product for my own consumption. I want the providers of the product to make some profit along the way because if they don't they won't be offering me that product in the future.

Very well stated.

Perfecty articulated!! Everyone is entitled to make a profit --that's why they are in business. Let's enjoy what we have -- if we think they are making too much money, then we'll just have to do something else!! Arlene:rolleyes:

As shown time and again on this board, including the links on this thread, many people are "analytical consumers", and this board is a perfect place for those interested to discuss such issues and let the public know (even contrary to merchants' interest) as we please.

Dear All:

I always get a kick out of the "experts" who seem to know everything and can't wait to share their new found genius with everyone.

Now, I'm no expert. I only oversee 2 cruise brands, but even from my limited exposure to the facts, I can tell you that at least for Oceania and Regent, the per person RAW food costs (excluding transport, labor etc) being attributed to us is dead wrong. While I will not tell you the exact number, I can tell you that the actual figures exceed the highest of the costs listed by ALOT.

We've often stated that we spend more on food stuffs than any other line and I stand by that statement.

How do I know what the others spend? Well, I know exactly what Regent spends. I know exactly what Oceania spends, and we have working with us, individuals that have worked at the highest levels of the executive ranks at ALL the other luxury brands.

High food costs alone won't make for great cuisine.

But without, fresh, top grade ingredients, you're guaranteed NOT to have great cuisine.

Oceania and Regent , both have GREAT cuisine.

Happy sailing and happy eating!

FDR

Dear Frank,

You offer a wonderful product with cuisine, although a major one, being just one element in the Oceania experience. Thank you for taking the time from what must be an impossibly busy schedule to share this information with the CC population.

Dear Frank,

You offer a wonderful product with cuisine, although a major one, being just one element in the Oceania experience. Thank you for taking the time from what must be an impossibly busy schedule to share this information with the CC population.

FDR,thanks for your input.

Most of us don't care what you spend as long as we continue to get the exceptional product you provide us with.

Oceania will remain our only choice. :)

Thank you Frank for sharing that with us,

...it certainly puts a lot of speculation to rest, as you well point out, there are always lots of experts, I may have been guilty a few times myself. Our next Oceania cruise is coming up this fall on the Insignia, and we shall keep in mind what you've said about your great cuisine, while we enjoy every bite in each venue on our ship, just like always...

cheers,

the Imagineer

Dear All:

FDR

I am extremely impressed that you responded. I am taking my first Oceania cruise in October, and from what I've read on the Cruise Critic boards, the food on your line is outstanding. You must be doing something right! Very much looking forward to the trip.

Oceania and Regent , both have GREAT cuisine.

FDR

..in the fit of my clothes when I return home! Appreciate your response. We love Oceania and the outstanding food is one of the reasons.

Archived