Dinner dress codes for men

What do men typically wear for dinner in the MDR? I was thinking Dockers and a Polo for casual evenings, maybe a button down shirt and slacks for semi-formal but then what for formal nights? My DH said he's fine taking a suit but from what I've been reading it seems like most men opt for a sport coat and dockers or slacks. If this is the case then do most men end up wearing the same kind of clothes for both semi-formal and formal nights?

Dockers and any collared shirt are fine for casual/smart casual evenings...doesn't have to be a "button down" shirt.

Formal does mean tux or dark suit...but some will be more "underdressed" than that.

For all three dress codes, you will see men in dockers/polo, slacks/sport coats and suits. The dressier the night, the more suits and fewer polos you will see. Plus, of course, you'll see some dressed in snazzy tuxes, and others dressed like slobs.

It's all about what you guys want to wear.

I wore dockers and dress shirt for casual night-On formal nights I wore suit and tie and jacket.

I don't mine getting dressed up at all-

When I was working we could wear jeans and any kind of shirts and shoes.

Those days are over now since I'm unemployed for 5 months already

What do men typically wear for dinner in the MDR? I was thinking Dockers and a Polo for casual evenings, maybe a button down shirt and slacks for semi-formal but then what for formal nights? My DH said he's fine taking a suit but from what I've been reading it seems like most men opt for a sport coat and dockers or slacks. If this is the case then do most men end up wearing the same kind of clothes for both semi-formal and formal nights?

Jeans and a polo work for casual as well. You will see all types of dress.

Smart casual or semi-formal is dead.

I miss the formal nights of the late 90's. The tux was everywhere. I will continue to wear mine on formal nights. That was part of cruising.

Another thread here is discussing the increase in rudeness.

Class is disappearing just like the dress code.

As has been said, you'll see a great deal of variety on all nights, with some men in sports coats and ties on casual nights (that would be me) and some in t-shirts and jeans, and some men in tuxes on formal nights (also me) and others in polos and slacks. For better or worse - and opinions will vary - dress code is not enforced. Rather, the formal night designation serves as a notice to those who wish to dress up, "If you'd like to go formal, this is your opportunity."

Based on what I read on this board pre our cruise on Allure several weeks ago, I expected to see more sloppy people than I did. Yes, there are those that stand out, but I thought most folks were very respectable. I opted to bring my suit not tux for formal night but saw a lot of men in tuxes and it looked nice. Think I'll go back to the tux next cruise!

Archived