Am I being over zealous? Need itinerary help.

Lovely_Star

Hey Cruisers,

Going to Bermuda for the first time soon and am finalizing our itinerary. Would appreciate guidance from island veterans. We will be using Bermuda's public transportation system during our trip. We are a young active couple that loves to swim, shop, hike and see historic sites on vacation. Is my itinerary realistic? Or am I asking for a vacation from vacation? :rolleyes:

Day 1:

Crystal/Fantasy Caves

Tobacco Bay

Unfinished Cathedral

Fort St. Catherine

Hamilton Shopping

Day 2:

Horseshoe Bay

The Swizzle Inn

Gibbs Lighthouse

Whale Bay Fort

Day 3:

Fantasea Snorkel Trip

BAMZ

Royal Naval Dockyard

Maritime Museum

Snorkel Park

Clock Tower

Simmons Ice Cream Factory

Wow, I'm tired just reading all that. I definitely think you're trying to do too much.

First, where are you docking? You need to look at where you will be and then group activities accordingly. You've made a start toward that, but you're cramming your days with too much.

On Day 1, your list is mostly toward the east. I don't know how long it takes to see the caves, but you could do that on the way to St Georges if you take the bus. Then in St Georges, you could walk around, see the unfinished church, and then go on to Tobacco Bay. How much time do you want to spend at the beach? It will likely be lunch time (probably a late lunch time) when you get to Tobacco. You could eat there. Then it's quite a walk to the fort, and you need to allow time to see the fort properly. I think that's a very full day right there. I'm not even sure you can fit it all in. You have to allow for time on the bus. I don't see how you could get back to Hamilton in time to shop.

I think day 2 is reasonable, except I don't know where that fort is If it's along the south shore, you're probably OK.

Day 3 is overloaded and geographically challenged. I don't know where your snorkel trip goes, but it will probably take up a half day. BAMZ is in Flatts, which is east of Hamilton. The Dockyard and other items on your list are at the far west end.

I would take at least one thing from each day, maybe more. Get a map of Bermuda and download some bus schedules to see how long travel around Bermuda can take.

Good luck with your planning!

I have some questions.

• When you visit the caves, each cave visit lasts about 45 minutes excluding waiting times. Will you visit both?
  • Tobacco Bay, photo op or snorkeling?
  • Unfinished Cathedral - photo op?
  • Horseshoe Bay - photo op or swimming?
  • Swizzle Inn - I'm assuming you'll be visiting the newer one near HSB and not the original which is close to the caves.
  • Whale Bay Fort is not right on a bus line. I would suggest visiting Scaur Hill Fort and/or Fort Hamilton.
  • Day 3 would be good except for the visit to BAMZ.
  • Is the Fantasea Snorkel Trip a cruise ship sponsored excursion? and at what time?

SBtS

I too think it is a little much. I would try to prioritize the places you want to see and go first, allowing for not backtracking over the island. Think if this way; you already have a reason to return;)

Looks like you are sailing with NCL which stops in West End. Which ship? If it's Dawn then your first day is Sunday and ferry on this day is not going to St George. We are planning trip there on Monday and from there we will take a bus to the Caves and then to one of the beaches, probably Horseshoe.

Hey guys we are sailing on the Gem which docks in Kings Wharf Wed-Fri.

I was thinking about getting these two books from Amazon, anyone know if they are worth it?

Frommer's Bermuda 2011

Fodor's Bermuda 2011

I have some questions.

• When you visit the caves, each cave visit lasts about 45 minutes excluding waiting times. Will you visit both? YES

• Tobacco Bay, photo op or snorkeling? SWIMMING, SNORKELING, PHOTO OP, R & R
  • Unfinished Cathedral - photo op? PHOTO OP
  • Horseshoe Bay - photo op or swimming? SWIMMING, SNORKELING, PHOTO OP, R & R
  • Swizzle Inn - I'm assuming you'll be visiting the newer one near HSB and not the original which is close to the caves. YES I FIGURED I HAD ENOUGH GOING ON DURING THE CAVE DAY TO TRY & SQUEEZE THIS IN, LOL :rolleyes:

• Whale Bay Fort is not right on a bus line. I would suggest visiting Scaur Hill Fort and/or Fort Hamilton. THANKS GOING TO RESEARCH THOSE OPTIONS

• Day 3 would be good except for the visit to BAMZ. IS BAMS NOT WORTH IT?

• Is the Fantasea Snorkel Trip a cruise ship sponsored excursion? and at what time? I THINK I MAY NIX THIS ALTOGETHER..ITS 3HRS IN THE MORNING

SBtS

I like Fodor's books, but Frommer's are just as good. Don't buy both, as they're very similar. Do some web searching. Bermuda has a good website

http://www.gotobermuda.com/

I would suggest that you do St Georges on your second day so you can get an early start. It's a long bus ride, but I'd take the bus to the caves, then a bus to St Georges. Go to Tobacco, have lunch there (good snack bar!), then stroll back into St Georges, seeing the church along the way. I don't see fitting the fort into it. (I like the fort, but you can't see everything.) then take the ferry from St Georges back to the dockyard. Sailbad will be able to give you bus/ferry suggestions. He's a bit of a guru around here for that. :D

Make Day 1 Horseshoe Bay. It might be difficult catching a bus or taxi if everyone rushes off the ship at the same time. But it isn't far to Horseshoe, so a late start isn't the end of the world.

That makes Day 3 all the Dockyard stuff. You'll be able to keep an eye on the ship so it doesn't get away without you!

Yes, Ft St Cath is nice. So is the BAMZ. And there's an underwater exploration exhibit in Hamilton, plus the arboretum, and Ft Hamilton. YOu can't see it all, but don't worry, Bermuda isn't going anywhere. As someone else said, leave some things for your next visit. So relax. I think it's better to enjoy fewer places/activities than race around and see tiny bits of more places.

I just found Bermuda's monthly magazine from our last year 1-day visit. It has tons of information about ferry/bus schedules, POI, maps, prices etc. I got it from information center right next to the dock. I am sure there will be a new addition waiting for you.

Personally if you have seen any caves........skip it. My wife and I were disappointed. Don't get me wrong, they were neat but I would have spent the 2.5 hours doing something else.

Personally if you have seen any caves........skip it. My wife and I were disappointed. Don't get me wrong, they were neat but I would have spent the 2.5 hours doing something else.

You are not the first person to say this. Many on another travel forum say if you have seen other caves you can skip it because its not worth it. This would actually be a first for both of us. Right now its back to the drawing board to figure out whats a go and whats not.

Archived