Penn Station to Red Hook

alibi09

From PennSt to RHook best way? Taxi? Taxi to water taxi to IKEA to ship? MTA? suggestions appreciated.

take a cab...its about 20 minutes and about $30....just have the directions with you.

The directions are simple go west to 11th avenue...make a left....11th avenue becomes west street/12th avenue take that to the Brooklyn Battery tunnel.take the tunnel.take the exit after the toll booth- Hamilton Avenue make two left turns careful not to get back into the tunnel...go straight to Van Brunt street and then the first right into the cruise terminal(there are blue signs that will show you from the BBT).

with luggage do not take the subway...its not impossible by subway its not easy and the water taxi is just not feasible...they don't run that often and it won't save you much anyway....

Cab is the only way to do it from Penn Station to the Brooklyn ship terminal in Red Hook, Brooklyn. When you get to street level at Penn Station, do not repeat do not give cash to anyone who tells you that you must give him money for the cab driver. It is a common scam. I saw it take place. You pay at the end of the cab run what the meter tells you.

Red Hook is safe and direct? Don't the hacks still get po'ed when they hear Brooklyn? Then drive like an angry maniac to get you there and gripe the whole time 'cause they'll hafta return to Manhattan empty?

RedHook is safe? Wowee, things have changed.

Red Hook is safe and direct? Don't the hacks still get po'ed when they hear Brooklyn? Then drive like an angry maniac to get you there and gripe the whole time 'cause they'll hafta return to Manhattan empty?

1) It is relatively safe especially in daytime

2) In lieu of a yellow cab ,one can use a car service company

Who cares if they get po'ed or gripe -- they're getting paid. And you don't have to listen . . . ! My driver wasn't po'ed nor did he gripe; he just didn't look very happy but once you're in the cab, they have to take you. He didn't know where it was, either, but I had directions and a copy of a Google map page. We didn't have any problems finding it and he was actually kind of pleased with himself by the time we got there because there were still people hanging out from the prior cruise and he thought he'd be able to pick up a fare back -- don't know if he did as I didn't hang around to watch. Anyway, to the OP, yep, taxi is easiest and fastest. And the area is plenty safe as it's jammed with all kinds of vehicular traffic; there were police directing traffic on some corners. Really, it's like Times Square there on Van Brunt street when a ship is in.

I have posted this before. Its a photo essay of the area around the Brooklyn Cruise terminal..

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbsWrRu1ctGtV

Its perfectly safe frankly both day and night although I wouldn't park my car overnight on the streets as the area is pretty deserted at night. Also close by is the Ikea....if you want a photo essay including that let me know and I'll post it.

I have more pictures from within the cruise terminal area itself too.

Its pretty much a typical dock area, that isn't in the center of town. Even the Manhattan cruise terminal is someplace that is safe during the day and more dicey at night when the area is deserted again....

• 3 weeks later...

Archived