Tips for concierge!!!!

Just an FYI for CC members and those not yet familiar with how ships work. The concierge, whether in the concierge lounge or in the Diamond lounge on any ship does NOT get a paycheck that matters, (less than $500.00 a month) they, like the waiters, rely on your TIP for their main income. If you are going to use the lounge for the food and the free drinks then please remember to tip the concierge on the last night!!!!!

I am not trying to start anything here, just saying that so many people eat in the dining room everyday or use the lounge everyday and then on the last night they suddenly can't remember how to get to either venue or if they do find their way there they suddenly stop making eye contact. Please, just figure into your cruise bill a nice tip for those who make your vacation nicer, just like you would in your favorite restaurant or with your hairdresser etc....

Our concierge is one of the most important persons on our cruise--we use him/her very extensively! Our tip is usally $150.00 or more for a 7 day, but seems to land up being more!! We always use the lounge (suite cruisers) every night before dinner!;)

the concierge is an Officer and gets paid accordingly,dont know where the OP got their info from!!!

When not on duty they often work on Guest relations and when on vacation the stand in comes from there.

Sometime ago when the big bosses realised how much the Concierges were making in tips they trimmed back their salary considerably.

We have had concierges tell us they did not need our tips and please could we give them to the bar staff who served our drinks.

Methinks you have been told a porkie OP

After the service we received from the concierge on-board Jewel. It doesn't surprise me that they make 6K a year. Think about it. Room and board, medical, and meals paid for. How much is that worth. No tip from me.

Sailing VOS in a week in a GS. What is a proper amount to tip? This is my first time in RCCL and I want to do the right thing. $150 seems high, so wihat is a recommended amount.

I think that is quite high also. I use both the CL and D lounge when I sail. I don't use the concierges for very much other than maybe make a reservation for a cabana. My standard is a $25 tip at the end of a 7 night sailing to each concierge. I also separately tip the bartender in the lounge that serviced me for the week.

If I were going to use the concierge a lot then I would adjust accordingly up from there.

When we were on an 11 night crusie we made it to the loung about 6 times, we gave a tip to drink server as they served drinks. We had a few questions for the concierge, but most of the times we just went for a drink before dinner. We tipped every nite for drink server and gave the concierge 50$ on the last night. IMO that was a good tip for the amount of time we spent with him. He was very good and helped use with our cabana but we really did not need much help. I think if you are going to over tip on anyone it should be your cabin person or server for dinner (Just my opinon)

Sharon

I think that is quite high also. I use both the CL and D lounge when I sail. I don't use the concierges for very much other than maybe make a reservation for a cabana. My standard is a $25 tip at the end of a 7 night sailing to each concierge. I also separately tip the bartender in the lounge that serviced me for the week.
Two of the posters above have gone from what I consider an excessive tip (fine if you can afford it) to none which I don't agree with. There is a happy medium. We use the lounge before dinner but otherwise do not use the concierge service so we usually tip them $10, the bartender or waiter either nightly or at the end. If waiters are serving the room we ask for the same one each night and tip at the end, $5 each night for one or two drinks. This works for us.:cool:

For our 9 night Explorer cruise in March 2010, we were in a GS and we used the CL in the evenings. We tipped the concierge $50 and the bartender around $25 for the 9 days. I think $150 is very high and a lot more than most people tip. I also do not believe the concierge makes only $500/month. I love how people post what they "think" the waitstaff and stewards make. A lot of the time it's what the staff has told them so they can garner some larger tips.;)

One year when we were on Navigator we had booked a GS and were upgraded to an OS. The concierge (Hermann - from Chile) was outstanding. We enjoyed talking with him every night, he was able to change one of our specialty dining reservations and got us ice show tickets (I think this was a change in nights as well). He started to greet us by name and immediately fix our favorite drinks when we arrived. We gave him $50 and the end and told him how much we enjoyed meeting and chatting w/him all week.

On our last Freedom cruise we had Willie in the DL and a great bartender. We actually interacted more w/the bartender than the host and we tipped accordingly (would have to ask DH but I think the bartender got $20 or $30 from each of us (2 couples) and Willie maybe half of that.

We always tip the bar staff in the lounge at the end of the cruise. As for the concierge, we have tipped those who were helpful, but also experienced one or two who simply sat at their desks playing with their computers all the time. In that case, their tips went to the servers as well.

There seems to be many opinions about the amount to tip the concierge (and bar staff). I would like to hear other opinions on what you feel is proper. This is what we generally do....

On a regular 7 night cruise we will use the lounge probably 6 of those 7 nights. We don't really use the services of the concierge much other than the ice show tickets (pretty routine). Once I had a cigar cutter confisgated by ship security which she was a big help in getting back so we could pack on the last day of sailing. Other than that we just have nice visits. As far as drinks go in the lounge, we might have 2 - 3 drinks per evening in the lounge served by the bar staff.

Our "standard" concierge tip is $50 for the concierge (at the end of the cruise) and $40 for the "lead" bar staff (the guy who is our regular server). If someone goes above and beyond in performing a service for us we will go higher. If there is a 2nd bar staff working the room who is assisting the other pax primarily we might tip about $20.

When we were on the Allure in April we tipped the Diamond concierge $150 and the three bartenders $20 each. The funny thing is we were entitled to go to the concierge lounge but didn't care for it so we just went to the diamond lounge each night. The Diamond concierge Derick was excellent and deserved every cent.

It depends upon what the Concierge does for us.

Our last cruise, 9 night Explorer, we did not use the CL at all. But he did arrange the Bridge Tour for us, so I gave him $25 as we were departing the Bridge.

Other cruises, we used the CL a great deal, and the Concierge has come through for us clearing up any issues we may have. Then, we tip generously.

We always sail in a GS.

As a side note, if like us, you do not use the CL, the Concierge will seek you out, introduce himself, and ask why he has not seen you in the CL.

When we were on the Allure in April we tipped the Diamond concierge $150 and the three bartenders $20 each. The funny thing is we were entitled to go to the concierge lounge but didn't care for it so we just went to the diamond lounge each night. The Diamond concierge Derick was excellent and deserved every cent.

I'll relay this story for you. We are entitiled to use the concierge as well (Diamond +). Of course the CL fills quickly so we have spend out evenings in the designated Diamond Lounge as well.

In June we did the Bermuda itinerary on the EOS. The designated Diamond Lounge was the 19th Hole, deck 15. There was no concierge present, no snacks, no server, no uniformed staff member ever stopped by, only a bartender (he did a good job of serving us drinks). I was a bit disappointed that someone didn't stop by even one day during our cruise and let RCI know about it on the comment card towards the end of the cruise.

In contrast, the DL on the Freedom class was awesome. 1 concierge and 2 servers in the room.

I'll relay this story for you. We are entitiled to use the concierge as well (Diamond +). Of course the CL fills quickly so we have spend out evenings in the designated Diamond Lounge as well.

In June we did the Bermuda itinerary on the EOS. The designated Diamond Lounge was the 19th Hole, deck 15. There was no concierge present, no snacks, no server, no uniformed staff member ever stopped by, only a bartender (he did a good job of serving us drinks). I was a bit disappointed that someone didn't stop by even one day during our cruise and let RCI know about it on the comment card towards the end of the cruise.

In contrast, the DL on the Freedom class was awesome. 1 concierge and 2 servers in the room.

Sounds like this was the normal Diamond Event...not a Designated Diamond Lounge...and no..there are no snacks served other than trail mix at the diamond event...and usually no staff coming round either..although it does happen from time to time..especially on ships like Majesty & Monarch which do not have a CL either...

Just an FYI for CC members and those not yet familiar with how ships work. The concierge, whether in the concierge lounge or in the Diamond lounge on any ship does NOT get a paycheck that matters, (less than $500.00 a month) they, like the waiters, rely on your TIP for their main income. If you are going to use the lounge for the food and the free drinks then please remember to tip the concierge on the last night!!!!!

I am not trying to start anything here, just saying that so many people eat in the dining room everyday or use the lounge everyday and then on the last night they suddenly can't remember how to get to either venue or if they do find their way there they suddenly stop making eye contact. Please, just figure into your cruise bill a nice tip for those who make your vacation nicer, just like you would in your favorite restaurant or with your hairdresser etc....

OMG here we go again!!!

We always tip well in the CL and DL.....BUT not because I am at all concerned with anybodys wages................The Ship crew's wages/rate of pay is ABSOLUTELY NONE OF MY BUSINESS! If they dont make enough wages...work for a promotion or change jobs like the rest of us have had to do!!!

I go to work everyday (public service/ legal profession) I dont expect anybody to question my income.....its my business good or bad!!!!!!

THERE are so many other things in this world that need and desrve my sympathy and concern....THE Concierge's income is not one of them!!!

Our concierge is one of the most important persons on our cruise--we use him/her very extensively! Our tip is usally $150.00 or more for a 7 day, but seems to land up being more!! We always use the lounge (suite cruisers) every night before dinner!;)

It's a miracle that the other 99% of those on the ship barely get by without a concierge.:rolleyes: As a suite cruiser, I've never had to ask, nor have a concierge do anything for me.

So if you monopolize him/her, you owe them.

It's a miracle that the other 99% of those on the ship barely get by without a concierge.:rolleyes: As a suite cruiser, I've never had to ask, nor have a concierge do anything for me.

So if you monopolize him/her, you owe them.

And there are always those one or two cabins who act like the concierge is there for them only. We didn't ask the concierge to do anything for us on EOS. We'll be on Freedom in Oct and the only things I plan to use him for are reserving a cabana at Labadee and minor questions. We certainly don't expect him to do everything for us.

Just curious, what is your source that documents that a Concierge makes an annual salary of $6,000?

I don't believe the OP said that. None of the Concierges I know work a year straight and I believe the number given was $500 a month. I believe the Concierges work 4 months on and 2 months off. I'm sure someone else will chime in if I am wrong ;) .

About a year or so ago, RCL cut the Concierge salaries almost in half because they were receiving tips from their guests. I don't know how accurate the $500 is but it is probably close. All that we have sailed with were very good at their jobs and were very deserving of the tips they receive! Our hats are off to them. :D

There is no Diamond Lounge on Explorer of the Seas or any Voyager Class ship. What you experienced was the nightly Diamond Event and can't legitimately be compared with the Diamond Lounges that you will find on Freedom and Oasis class ships and now the Radiance of the Seas. As they revitalize the other ships in the fleet, you will see more Diamond Lounges created with the attendant concierges and other features that are not offered at the Diamond event.

While there is no Diamond Lounge on Explorer, there was a Concierge in the 19th Hole last year. We missed seeing him this year.

That said, the service was excellent in 2010 @ 2011 & everyone was tipped accordingly. (by us) We did note however that many who drank there all week did not leave tips nightly nor were they handing out envelopes on the last night. Yes, we were first in & last out so we could see what this "entitled" group would do.

A contract for a Concierge is usually 6 months on and 2 months off. Though it does depend on the ship.

Their salaries were reduced when the position of Concierge was put under Guest Relations. This was back in the Spring of 2008.

Archived