Lost my passport the day before we sail :(

jennygirlmt

We flew to Seattle yesterday and I just realized that I left my passport on the plane. I know, why didn't I use my license? Why did I think I needed ID to board the plane? I was juggling my rolling suitcase, a backpack and a baby, couldn't get it in my bag and figured I would put it in when I sat down. I apparently did not. I am shaking and terrified. I've called everyone I can at USAirways and the airport considering it was 11pm on a Sat night. We are getting up early to go to the airport to see if anyone found it. It could be as easy as getting it from the lost and found but I'm terrified at the thought that it might not have been discovered when the plane was still in Seattle...what if it is somewhere else. Do they scan your passport at the pier? If they have my passport number from my online reservation and my ID can I beg and plead to be let on? I'll promise not to get off the boat in Victoria (a feeble attempt at humor to keep myself from going off the deep end).

I need to be sleeping but I keep dry-heaving in the bathroom...I've spent so much time looking forward to this and my mother in law is treating us to this very special gift and now I've ruined it....I can't believe I did this, it is so unlike me....

I would think that since you seem sure you left it on the plane, you have a good chance to get it back. Certainly anyone that would have found it would have turned it into the flight crew. Good luck, I think things will turn out positive for you.

I am so sorry this happened to you. Try not to beat yourself up, sounds like your hands were full and we all make mistakes.

I think you will have a good chance getting back the passport, the planes are cleaned and checked often.

Please let us know how it turns out and good luck!

Is there someone at home that can get their hands on your birth certificate and fax it to you? If it's a closed loop cruise a copy of your official birth certificate and your driver's license would suffice to get you on the ship. Otherwise call the State Department and see if there is something they can do (they may not be able to get you something right away but maybe they can get you something that will allow you to catch up to the ship). Good luck!

Is there someone at home that can get their hands on your birth certificate and fax it to you? If it's a closed loop cruise a copy of your official birth certificate and your driver's license would suffice to get you on the ship. Otherwise call the State Department and see if there is something they can do (they may not be able to get you something right away but maybe they can get you something that will allow you to catch up to the ship). Good luck!

Unfortunately, I'm reasonably certain that a faxed copy of a birth certificate would not be accepted. It must be an original official document.

jennygirlmt:

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Please stop beating yourself up for it. Please. This could happen to anyone. You're either sleeping now or pacing the room or lying there in bed fretting, but the morning may very well bring good news. I believe the airline crew go through the plane before it takes off for its next flight, which means they almost certainly would have found your passport. Be assured that we will all be sending you our very best thoughts, hopes, and prayers.

Let us know when you've got your passport and are breathing easier again. And then, go get a nice--substantial--beverage to calm yourself and get back into the cruise/vacation spirit.

Best of everything to you and your family.

beachchick

Unfortunately, I'm reasonably certain that a faxed copy of a birth certificate would not be accepted. It must be an original official document.

Don't be so certain;) here's what getyouhome.gov says (emphasis added):

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents."

In any event it's worth a shot if all else fails and it costs the price of a fax. I'd rather show up with a copy of my birth certificate than nothing at all. (And the same rule applies when our kids go on a field trip to Canada with their school and we always give them copies of their birth certs, not the originals.)

Good luck with this. You probably put it somewhere....just not where you were planning to put it (like a different compartment of your bag).

I know this is a hindsight thing...not meant to be critical...just informative.

When we travel, as soon as I show whatever documents are needed...I stop and put them away....instead of immediately running to the next spot.

When you fly...do you need the ID to get on the plane? or just to go thru TSA? I'm asking, only to retrace your steps.

You might want to contact TSA at the airport you left from.

No passport required to enter Canada.

From the Canadian Border Services web-site:

• United States citizens do not need to carry a passport to enter Canada however they should carry proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate) as well as photo identification.

Do you have Birth Certificate?

No update yet, but thank you for your replies. I actually meant to make copies of my passport as well before I left, that may have helped. I'm going to try and have my BIL send me my BC. At least it's a shot, thank you for the idea. I've not slept a wink, but head to the airport in about an hour and a half. Hopefully I bring good news.

To the poster who asked if I needed it at the desk and to always put it away. You are right...I did not need it at the counter, but couldn't remember if I would or not and wanted to have it out since my hands were full. I also tried numerous times to put it back in my bag as I was walking down the gangway (or whatever it's called to get on the ship), but I kept toppling me and the baby...I should have stopped and put everything down...stupid :(

You might try to see if any of the airlines have quick shuttles. Your relative could send your birth certificate via air this way and then even if you did not get it till Monday hopefully you could catch up with the ship. The one I remember was called Delta Dash and I think it was very quick if the locations would work for your. Anyone else out there know about this or anything like it?

No update yet, but thank you for your replies. I actually meant to make copies of my passport as well before I left, that may have helped. I'm going to try and have my BIL send me my BC. At least it's a shot, thank you for the idea. I've not slept a wink, but head to the airport in about an hour and a half. Hopefully I bring good news.

To the poster who asked if I needed it at the desk and to always put it away. You are right...I did not need it at the counter, but couldn't remember if I would or not and wanted to have it out since my hands were full. I also tried numerous times to put it back in my bag as I was walking down the gangway (or whatever it's called to get on the ship), but I kept toppling me and the baby...I should have stopped and put everything down...stupid :(

If you remember having walking down the jetway, onto the plane.....I'm still saying there is hope you accidentally put it in the wrong bag. Check and recheck every pocket and compartment of your suitcase/backpack/pockets/ diaper bag etc.

Also, are you traveling with someone? Maybe he took it and put it somewhere "temporarily". If such a person exists, have him check all his pockets.

I once had a customer screaming at me...because she was sure I didn't return her credit card to her. She always put it...somewhere...and it wasn't there. I told her to check her coat pocket....and sure enough....there it was.

I hope I'm right.........

I have been where you are and I know you are wanting to slap your self. but check everything again I have look for something 10 times and I usually find it where it doesn't belong:eek:. I now let my husband be in charge of stuff like that because I am always chasing the kids. I know no matter what any one else says until you find it you will not be able to relax. good luck!!

You are in my prayers. I always say there is a reason why things happen and often we never know why. So, if it doesn"t work out, remind yourself that this was an obstable to an event which may have been by far more catastrophic by comparison. Then let it go and celebrate each day you have waking up with that beautiful baby of yours.

hugs

I have to agree with some of the others. If it was in your hand down the air bridge the chances are you simply tucked it in a loose flap or pocket.. I know when someone has left a passport on a plane either a fellow passenger has spotted it on the seat/floor or the cabin crew do a quick tidy/check and would give it to the ground agent who would tannoy you at the baggage reclaim!

Empty the entire contents of any bags, clothes you were wearing inside and out and repack!

Good Luck!

I am keeping you in my thoughts! Years ago my girlfriends and I took a cruise out of New Orleans and arrived early to enjoy Mardi Gras. Well, I got pick-pocketed and everything was gone! I was in a full-on panic, but somehow my driver's license was in my jeans pocket! I guess when we got ID'd, instead of putting it back in my wallet, I just shoved it in my jeans. Looking through every bag you have with you - unpack and pack again.

HUGS!!!!

I am keeping you in my thoughts! Years ago my girlfriends and I took a cruise out of New Orleans and arrived early to enjoy Mardi Gras. Well, I got pick-pocketed and everything was gone! I was in a full-on panic, but somehow my driver's license was in my jeans pocket! I guess when we got ID'd, instead of putting it back in my wallet, I just shoved it in my jeans. Looking through every bag you have with you - unpack and pack again.

HUGS!!!!

Mine one time ended up between pages of a magazine/book I was reading. I had checked the bag but not shaken the magazine so any brochures. Cruises docs where it could tuck Inbetween.

I feel bad for the OP and hope something works out.

I am a bit confused though. Once you go through security, there is no need for the passport. How was it still in hand after walking through the airport, waiting for flight, then boarding the plane?

Not trying to be inconsiderate, but just wondering.

I feel bad for the OP and hope something works out.

I am a bit confused though. Once you go through security, there is no need for the passport. How was it still in hand after walking through the airport, waiting for flight, then boarding the plane?

Not trying to be inconsiderate, but just wondering.

Sounded like the OP put it away after security but took it back out to board the plane, thinking she needed to show her ID again. I haven't flown in years, so I don't know if you need to show ID along with your boarding pass when you go to board the plane.

Don't be so certain;) here's what getyouhome.gov says (emphasis added):

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents."

In any event it's worth a shot if all else fails and it costs the price of a fax. I'd rather show up with a copy of my birth certificate than nothing at all. (And the same rule applies when our kids go on a field trip to Canada with their school and we always give them copies of their birth certs, not the originals.)

"Copy" does not mean "photocopy". DHS requires a copy issued by the appropriate government agency, with either a raised seal or issued on specially marked paper identifying the document as being genuine. There's the chance they'll allow an exception, but I wouldn't count on it.

Archived