Lost my passport the day before we sail :(

jennygirlmt

I am a Notery in the State of Florida... faxed copies of something noterized means nothing they are not valid.

I am also perplexed on why U.S. Citzens use a passport to board domestic flights. I have seen this many times and wonder why dont they just take out their photo ID or drivers licence. I personly dont take my passport with me in fear of losing it, unless I need it to travel out of the country

I am a Notery in the State of Florida... faxed copies of something noterized means nothing they are not valid.

I am also perplexed on why U.S. Citzens use a passport to board domestic flights. I have seen this many times and wonder why dont they just take out their photo ID or drivers licence. I personally dont take my passport with me in fear of losing it, unless I need it to travel out of the country

I use my passport for traveling domestically all the time. I figure it's harder to lose my passport and it's holder than putting my credit card sized license down somewhere or thinking I put it in my pocket and dropping it on the floor.

I use my passport for traveling domestically all the time. I figure it's harder to lose my passport and it's holder than putting my credit card sized license down somewhere or thinking I put it in my pocket and dropping it on the floor.

Absolutely my logic as well! ;)

I posted on the Pearl's roll call page for 7/17/2011 requesting this lady (if she reads the roll call) to report back on this post if she was able to board the ship, etc. Hopefully, everything went well and she and the family had a great cruise.

Like many people, I have carried my drivers license around for many many years - 30+ in my case. Why do folks thing they might lose it?

Like many people, I have carried my drivers license around for many many years - 30+ in my case. Why do folks thing they might lose it?

30+ years for me too - but carried in my wallet is quite a bit different than in my hand as as move through a busy airport ;)

The problem with passports is that being the size they are, they don't fit in a wallet. Therefore they get put in some 'special' pocket and can easily be misplaced.

I sincerely hope the OP made it on board but wish she would post back and let us know.

I do the exact same thing. I use my passport when I travel in the U.S. because if I lost it, I would still have my driver's license as a backup.

Well, I suppose, absolute worst case scenario, the OP could either get same day help from a passport expeditor on Monday or go to the passport office herself first thing on Monday and then fly to the first port of call (Ketchikan?) from SeaTac. Surely, her entire trip was not ruined by this unfortunate turn of events. At least, I hope not. And, just trying to look at this on the bright side, we all know that the first two days heading up to Alaska on the ship from Seattle can be rough depending on the seas, so it may turn out she missed a part of the cruise she might not have enjoyed that much anyway.

I truely hope things worked out for her, no matter what.

I hope she comes back and lets us know what happened.

Here in Fl, they now need several pieces of identification to renew your drivers license. A Passport is accepted, but not on it's own. I always figured a PP trumps everything. Not in Florida I guess.

It's not just Florida...NJ has the same procedures. It's not the state's doing...it's the state complying with Federal regulations for the issuance of drivers licenses under the Real ID Act of 2005. Over the next couple of years you'll see more and more states following similar procedures.

Well, I suppose, absolute worst case scenario, the OP could either get same day help from a passport expeditor on Monday or go to the passport office herself first thing on Monday and then fly to the first port of call (Ketchikan?) from SeaTac. Surely, her entire trip was not ruined by this unfortunate turn of events. At least, I hope not. And, just trying to look at this on the bright side, we all know that the first two days heading up to Alaska on the ship from Seattle can be rough depending on the seas, so it may turn out she missed a part of the cruise she might not have enjoyed that much anyway.

I truely hope things worked out for her, no matter what.

I hope she comes back and lets us know what happened.

Hopefully she boarded the day the cruise left. If not I don't think they'd let her board at the first port if it's in the U.S.

That would put the ship and her in violation of the PVSA.

Bill

It'll take her 2 days to read through all of the posts;).

Yep, I saw her green light come on about 6hrs ago and guessed she was wading through the posts and probably overwhelmed by the interest..

But we do need a nice good news story now and again.. and as she has appeared just over the week I think its safe to assume she cruised and is now back home or enroute home from the port..

Reading all this has made my mind up; I'm going to get a passport card' date=' too. Can you get one after the fact? My passport expires in 2013.[/quote']

Yes, you can order the card at any time after getting the book using Form DS-82. Just know that when you renew your book, they will require you to also send in a card if you have one. I wish they allowed each to have their own separate schedule so that one could have the card while renewing the book and vice versa, but I can understand that it's probably a lot easier for them if they don't.

Here in Fl, they now need several pieces of identification to renew your drivers license. A Passport is accepted, but not on it's own. I always figured a PP trumps everything. Not in Florida I guess.

Thats not always true. I live in FL and I just renewed my DL online a few weeks ago. I didn't have to do anything but click the button to renew it and provide CC information for the payment. They sent me the new one a few days later. It surprised me, but they just used the same picture I had on the DL when it was made the last time. Its kind of scary what they let you do online these days.

Thats not always true. I live in FL and I just renewed my DL online a few weeks ago. I didn't have to do anything but click the button to renew it and provide CC information for the payment. They sent me the new one a few days later. It surprised me, but they just used the same picture I had on the DL when it was made the last time. Its kind of scary what they let you do online these days.

Something like every ten or twelve years you must go back and do the renewal in person, with a gazillion pieces of ID. They take a new picture and all. The new ID policy is fairly new. In between the 12 years, you don't need to do all that for renewals.

I love that you all saw me come back on :-) Last night while I was rocking DD to sleep I browsed CC on my itouch, like I have for the past few months, not sure what I'll do now! I guess it's time to make her sleep through the night :-)

Obviously since I haven't been on for a week, you hopefully rightly assumed that I got on the ship. I thought about coming back with a great story (read that as lie), that I went to the airport at 6am, they opened the lost and found and there was my passport! But I can't lie, so I will sheepishly update you that it was in my suitcase the whole time.

I didn't sleep that night and at 6am, DH and I dropped DD off with my inlaws (I was sobbing) and we took the light rail to the airport where they pulled out other people's passports, just not mine (She also had tons of psps, ipods, phones and ipads!). I then proceeded to bawl in the airport before DH hauled me back to the hotel. We decided it was time to dissect the luggage one more time. So DH took my back pack ("the" carryon culprit) and I did DD's suitcase (also a carryon). No luck. Then I said "Should we even bother with the suitcase that was checked?" Of course. So I opened it up and began pulling things out when SIL said "Is this it?" WHAT?! It was in the mesh flap of the lid behind the shoe organizer (damn shoe organizer! but it was great for keeping our little items at hand). So I did the happy dance, attacked SIL with big hugs, which DD joined in on after wondering what the heck was wrong with Mommy. My stomach immediately felt better so we went down and ate a big breakfast at the hotel to celebrate. I guess I was so exhausted that I didn't remember putting it away and when we got to the hotel and everyone went to their rooms, all I could think was "I wish DH was here." So I guess at some point between giving DD a bath and taking a nap, I moved my passport to my suitcase, which I did check, just not well enough I guess.

After going through embarkation DH said "My gosh there was no way you were getting on that ship without a passport or original birth certificate." Who knows, I'm just glad we didn't have to worry about it. I felt like an idiot the rest of the trip, but it didn't matter. Because we had the most spectacular cruise! I'm halfway through a review. I planned to write daily while DD was napping...but MIL bought the ladies spa thermal suite passes, so I spa'ed instead :-)

I'll read through all the replies eventually! Thanks for everyone's advice and thoughts!

I love that you all saw me come back on :-) Last night while I was rocking DD to sleep I browsed CC on my itouch, like I have for the past few months, not sure what I'll do now! I guess it's time to make her sleep through the night :-)

Obviously since I haven't been on for a week, you hopefully rightly assumed that I got on the ship. I thought about coming back with a great story (read that as lie), that I went to the airport at 6am, they opened the lost and found and there was my passport! But I can't lie, so I will sheepishly update you that it was in my suitcase the whole time.

I didn't sleep that night and at 6am, DH and I dropped DD off with my inlaws (I was sobbing) and we took the light rail to the airport where they pulled out other people's passports, just not mine (She also had tons of psps, ipods, phones and ipads!). I then proceeded to bawl in the airport before DH hauled me back to the hotel. We decided it was time to dissect the luggage one more time. So DH took my back pack ("the" carryon culprit) and I did DD's suitcase (also a carryon). No luck. Then I said "Should we even bother with the suitcase that was checked?" Of course. So I opened it up and began pulling things out when SIL said "Is this it?" WHAT?! It was in the mesh flap of the lid behind the shoe organizer (damn shoe organizer! but it was great for keeping our little items at hand). So I did the happy dance, attacked SIL with big hugs, which DD joined in on after wondering what the heck was wrong with Mommy. My stomach immediately felt better so we went down and ate a big breakfast at the hotel to celebrate. I guess I was so exhausted that I didn't remember putting it away and when we got to the hotel and everyone went to their rooms, all I could think was "I wish DH was here." So I guess at some point between giving DD a bath and taking a nap, I moved my passport to my suitcase, which I did check, just not well enough I guess.

After going through embarkation DH said "My gosh there was no way you were getting on that ship without a passport or original birth certificate." Who knows, I'm just glad we didn't have to worry about it. I felt like an idiot the rest of the trip, but it didn't matter. Because we had the most spectacular cruise! I'm halfway through a review. I planned to write daily while DD was napping...but MIL bought the ladies spa thermal suite passes, so I spa'ed instead :-)

I'll read through all the replies eventually! Thanks for everyone's advice and thoughts!

Glad to hear it worked out and thanks for letting us know!

So glad to hear it all turned out OK. Just sorry for you that you had a sleepless night and had to make another trip to the airport for no reason.

Don't worry - it happens to the best.

Glad you had a great time - can't wait to read your review!

Archived