Should Princess do a better job at enforcing shipboard policies?

KENANDPAT

Should Princess do a better job of enforcing it's on onboard policies?  

1,069 members have voted

1. 1. Should Princess do a better job of enforcing it's on onboard policies?

• You would like to see adult only areas kept adult only.
    • You would like to see Princess strictly enforce holding of lounge chairs.
    • You would like to see the new smoking policy strictly enforced.
    • If Princess paid more attention to the above items I would enjoy my cruise much better.
    • If Princess just left everything as is it would be ok with me.

On my last cruise to the Canaries, they were strictly enforcing the deck chair policy on the chairs round the pool areas.

I commented to the head of the deck team that it was really appreciated and he said I wasnt the first person to mention it.

But boy there were some annoyed people. It brightened my days up though :)

Just returned from 17 days in Med on Grand. Excellent job of enforcing chair hog policy. 6 deck crew working on it, but more importantly also a "uniformed" staff member there at all times backing up the deck crew. Any chair that the crew had either noticed as unused for some time, or reported by a passenger was given a yellow ticket noting the time. If 30 minutes later it was still unused items were removed to a table.

I hope they continue to enforce the deck chair rule. It shouldn't be a passengers job to have to point this out. I really don't want to be a tattle tale on my vacation, nor do I want to spend 30+ minutes being the deck chair police, keeping an eye on which chairs are unattended so I can report them.

If Princess (or anyone) decides to have a policy of any sort, whether I like it or not, they should enforce it. Unfortunately I'm a rule follower and nothing bothers me more than seeing others completely disregard the rule and Princess do nothing about it.

On our last cruise there would often be kids in the adult pool and Princess employees would walk by and completely ignore it. Also noticed people in shorts entering the dining room and talking to the Maitre'd before heading to their table... seriously... Maitre'd had to have noticed.

So yes, if you have a rule enforce it, or do away with the rule.

What I agree on is that if the cruise lines set a policy (of any kind) not just a suggestion (such as the dress code), then they need to enforce it. The problem we have seen is that the policies are not enforced.............so give em an inch, and some passengers will take a mile. After a while some of this gets worse and worse over time, as others share their experiences of 'well I got away with doing that and nobody said a word to me'. ;)

What I agree on is that if the cruise lines set a policy (of any kind) not just a suggestion (such as the dress code), then they need to enforce it. The problem we have seen is that the policies are not enforced.............so give em an inch, and some passengers will take a mile. After a while some of this gets worse and worse over time, as others share their experiences of 'well I got away with doing that and nobody said a word to me'. ;)

No truer words. Obviously it has become a game of see how far one can go before they bring down the gavel. Is the cruise business so poor that Princess will now accept anything?

The unfortunate problem for the staff is that if they do enforce the rules... the passenger gets mad and reports them, they then in turn get in trouble... so it's not worth for them to enforce said rules..:(

I heard this many times from many crew members on various cruise lines

CC

I agree with the above posters. No point in having any policy, if you are not going to enforce it. And it should not be up to passengers to have to bring it up with another passenger who is ignoring the policy. If Princess has a rule, then enforce it please.

Karen

I would welcome items being removed if chair isnt used for 30 mins or more. just returned from a RCI cruise and there were lots of chairs with towels on them for hours at a time, whilst some passengers were walking around looking for a sunlounger.

I also asked a passenger if she would move from the non smoking area into the smoking area whilst she was smoking watching an outdoor show. I have asthma which is made worse by cigarette smoke. she wasnt happy but she did move, i would have preferred if a memeber of staff enforced the rules rather than passengers having to ask.

Before worrying about enforcement, Princess needs to set clear policies on any number of things, they need to be clearly posted and communicated in multiple channels.

Some examples - "This pool has been designated adults only. Guests under 18 are not permitted to use this pool and surrounding area unless otherwise posted. Guests under 18 will be asked to leave the area."

"To ensure the maximum flexibility for those who have selected Anytime Dining, those guests who have chosen Traditional Dining may not use the designated Anytime Dining rooms for Dinner service without prior permission from the Maitre'D."

"The reservation of deck or lounge chairs is not permitted. Objects left on chairs for over 30 minutes will be collected by the attendant and held at the pool service desk."

Calling things 'suggested' attire is not a policy. Letting the staff on each ship make up their own rules is not a policy...

The unfortunate problem for the staff is that if they do enforce the rules... the passenger gets mad and reports them, they then in turn get in trouble... so it's not worth for them to enforce said rules..:(

I heard this many times from many crew members on various cruise lines

CC

I have to agree. Why can't adults just act like adults and not have to be policed? It always amazes me ...:rolleyes:

I agree that the rules should be enforced. However, one note to those that have a complaint about dining attire being overlooked by the maitre'd: from time to time luggage does get lost, leaving some passengers with few attire options. If a passenger is seen having a conversation with the maitre'd, they may be explaining that they are people the Passenger Services/Hotel Manager told him about, and their luggage is expected to meet them at the next port, etc. It has happened to us before we learned to fly in at least a day ahead of sailing. In fact, it delayed my onboard wedding.....long story, very happy ending. In those circumstances, I do believe that those passengers should be permitted in the dining room, and the staff should have the option of bending the rules. It's just that those who then see someone "breaking the rules" don't understand the circumstance.

This is different from passengers who just don't bother to pack appropriate attire and expect to break the dress code, and much different than passengers that think their 12 year olds are somehow the exception to the rule in the adults only pools, or that saving 5 lounge chairs all day fo people who never show up is just fine and dandy.

I agree that the rules should be enforced. However, one note to those that have a complaint about dining attire being overlooked by the maitre'd: from time to time luggage does get lost, leaving some passengers with few attire options. If a passenger is seen having a conversation with the maitre'd, they may be explaining that they are people the Passenger Services/Hotel Manager told him about, and their luggage is expected to meet them at the next port, etc. It has happened to us before we learned to fly in at least a day ahead of sailing. In fact, it delayed my onboard wedding.....long story, very happy ending. In those circumstances, I do believe that those passengers should be permitted in the dining room, and the staff should have the option of bending the rules. It's just that those who then see someone "breaking the rules" don't understand the circumstance.

This is different from passengers who just don't bother to pack appropriate attire and expect to break the dress code, and much different than passengers that think their 12 year olds are somehow the exception to the rule in the adults only pools, or that saving 5 lounge chairs all day fo people who never show up is just fine and dandy.

Agree on the attire! Our first cruise was 10 days to Panama canal - our luggage was loaded on the wrong ship and we spent the entire cruise with the clothes on our backs plus a few t shirts available from the ship store.

At least we had free laundry every night! Had a great time and no one died from seeing us in the MDR without a suit and tie!:D:D

It would be much easier if people could just follow the rules and passengers were considerate to each other! But, since this is clearly expecting too much, I do expect that Princess would enforce their rules. They have these rules for a reason and if someone politely asks a passenger who isn't following the rules to follow them, hopefully that person would have enough sense to abide by the rules and not get personally offended.

The only unenforced policy that has bothered me is with regards to chair hogs. The other issues I barely notice.

I agree here. On my last cruise, the majority of the chairs in the pool areas were being saved with towels. There might have been a dozen people in the pool and hundreds of chairs covered with towels. I never saw any kind of "chair hog" enforcement.

Just returned from 17 days in Med on Grand. Excellent job of enforcing chair hog policy. 6 deck crew working on it, but more importantly also a "uniformed" staff member there at all times backing up the deck crew. Any chair that the crew had either noticed as unused for some time, or reported by a passenger was given a yellow ticket noting the time. If 30 minutes later it was still unused items were removed to a table.

Well, let's hear it for the Grand! Now let's see...that's one ship down & how many to go...?? In all seriousness, this one fact alone will cause me to take a good long look at the Grand's itineraries. Nothing makes me crankier than not being able to find a spot at least somewhat near the pool.

I think Buffet table/chair hogs are the worst, they have their breakfast/lunch and sit there for hours, gazing at the sea or playing cards. Staff should evict them after the meal, we all know how difficult it is to find somewhere to partake of your buffet meal.

If Princess (or anyone) decides to have a policy of any sort, whether I like it or not, they should enforce it. Unfortunately I'm a rule follower and nothing bothers me more than seeing others completely disregard the rule and Princess do nothing about it.

So yes, if you have a rule enforce it, or do away with the rule.

i could have written this! yes i follow the rules and it feels unfair to me when others think the rules don't apply to them. especially when there is no enforcement they are right--the rules don't apply. :(

I think Buffet table/chair hogs are the worst, they have their breakfast/lunch and sit there for hours, gazing at the sea or playing cards. Staff should evict them after the meal, we all know how difficult it is to find somewhere to partake of your buffet meal.

Totally agree.

Sandy

We live in Hawaii, so don't go on many tropical cruises and never have a need to work on a tan while cruising - as a result, pool chair hogs have never been a bother to me, but I agree with why others what that rule enforced and kids in the adults only locations too.

I do find it hard to find a good window table or any table near the buffet in the horizon court, so I often end up walking around trying to find some far off corner with a clean table - I dislike eating in any kind of cafeteria or food court setting, and just getting food at the buffet (bumper car people) is not a fun thing, so the total experience is just a quick eat and run trip anyway (I getting a tummy ache thinking about it) even if I do get that occasional window seat - will they ever create a buffet table hog rule? I Doubt it.

The only rule I would not like to see "strickly" enforced (not exactly sure why they have it - $$ or crazy drunks) is packing a bootle of vodka for in-cabin martini's in my suitcase. I often break this rule and don't get caught. Am I now a bad rule breaking cruiser too?:eek:

I'd like to see them enforce the no kids under 12 in the hot tub rule. Does anyone even know if that rule is in place anymore?

Last week on the Golden we wanted to go hot tubbing and guess what? There was no space. We were in Alaska and even though it was a heat wave most of the trip, while in Ketchikan it would have been nice to be able to utilize the tubs, but all four hot tubs, Calypso and Neptune, were over taken with children ranging in age from 3 or 4 years old up to maybe 10 or 11 years of age. One hot tub had NO adult and 11, YES, 11 children in it. All the rest were maybe one adult and 5 little ones. True.

Pool security was present and did nothing.

Archived