Passport/Birth Certificate ?

My 19 year old son has decided to take a trip with his friends to Disney/Universal the week before we leave on our family vacation (gotta love them:rolleyes:). I'm concerned that he will lose his passport when he's away:eek:. Can we still cruise with just his birth certificate, D/L.....even if the set sails have been done with his passport #. FYI we are Canadian, and our ship leaves from NJ. We are driving to the port.:confused:

I wouldn't leave my country without a passport...it's not the leaving that is hard it's the getting back into your country if something goes wrong that could be the issue. I have 3 adult sons and they all understand how important a passport is...after all a 19 year old is an adult, he should be able to keep track of his own passport.

?..Can we still cruise with just his birth certificate, D/L...
I am sorry, but no, the DL and BC exception only applies to US citizens. Your son will need to use his passport both to fly to Florida (and back home?) and to get on the ship. It's not as if you can tell him not to go to WDW, so perhaps you can just remind him as an adult he needs to be able to keep track of it for a week. And then stop worrying over him. ;)

Your son is 19, not 9. Why would something like that even cross your mind?

Because over the last couple of days.....their have been so many post about "ADULTS" that lost their passports. If he was nine I don't think he would be going to Disney with his friends, or holding on to his own passport!!!!!:rolleyes:

Your son is 19, not 9. Why would something like that even cross your mind?

Trust me, it crosses the mind of a parent whose child is an adult. It did and still does with my own son who is almost 21. Doesn't make me a bad parent, or him a bad child. It's just something that enters one's mind.

My 19 year old son has decided to take a trip with his friends to Disney/Universal the week before we leave on our family vacation (gotta love them:rolleyes:). I'm concerned that he will lose his passport when he's away:eek:. Can we still cruise with just his birth certificate, D/L.....even if the set sails have been done with his passport #. FYI we are Canadian, and our ship leaves from NJ. We are driving to the port.:confused:

I would be worried too. Just because he is 19 does not mean that he couldn't lose his passport. I would have him take a photo copy of it just incase the worst happens, to have that info incase the worst happens.

Anyone, at anytime can lose a passport. However your son is old enough to fight in a war, [he is an adult] so he is clearly old enough that is something you really should not be concerned about. If you worry about this you may also want to worry that he may forget what day your cruise is, what time his flight is, forget to bring home his wallet,take any medications,put on sunscreen, etc.,etc....

How and why in the world would he "lose" his passport????? He'll have it til he gets to the hotel, then it will go in the safe, until he's ready to meet you for the cruise. Canadians can't cruise from America with a BC, I don't believe.

This cruise is a gift from our kids for our 25th wedding anniversary!:D

If you 19yr old son is responsible and mature enough to contribute to buy you a cruise for your 25th anniversary....I don't think you need to worry about him.

Some of you people are all too funny! I just asked if he could travel with BC/DL. I never said I was worried, I was concerned. I could care less if he goes naked and forget his sunscreen:D It's his passport I was concerned about!!!! Someone asked "how can he lose his passport" EASY!!! Have you guys ever lost anything in your lives. :eek:

Some of you people are all too funny! I just asked if he could travel with BC/DL. I never said I was worried, I was concerned. I could care less if he goes naked and forget his sunscreen:D It's his passport I was concerned about!!!! Someone asked "how can he lose his passport" EASY!!! Have you guys ever lost anything in your lives. :eek:

The simple answer is that since he is a Canadian citizen he cannot cruise out of a US port without a passport. I'm not sure how you can allay your concerns, but if you believe that your son is a responsible person, you should not have any serious concerns. Anyone can lose their passport if they don't carefully guard it and their other valuables. If you aren't concerned that you or other members of your family might lose theirs, why should you believe it is likely that he will lose his?

Some of you people are all too funny! I just asked if he could travel with BC/DL. I never said I was worried, I was concerned. I could care less if he goes naked and forget his sunscreen:D It's his passport I was concerned about!!!! Someone asked "how can he lose his passport" EASY!!! Have you guys ever lost anything in your lives.

I have lost plenty of things:eek:I would be very concerned about his passport:eek:so much so I think I would loose sleep and probably just stay home:o...but as far as your son goes....well since you couldn't care if he went naked...you have no worries:rolleyes:....wow, sure glad we got that all cleared up:)

So, he's 19. He's travelling from Canada to the USA with his passport.

He's old enough to make the security of his passport his responsibility and to accept the consequences (no cruise and a hard time getting back to Canada) if he loses it.

Advise him about using a money belt and taking care of his valuables and then leave it to him.

My best guess to answer your question would be to call your border agents and the cruise line as they would know the answer to that question. I know you have gotten alot of opinions on why you shouldn't be worrying about your adult son losing the passport, I have adult children and I still worry they may have issues when they travel.

Archived