Packing Light

Twibbs

I issued a challenge, and now I have to abide by it.

Packing in a bag with these dimensions:

14" x 21" x 10"2,940 cu. in.7.10 lb (3.23 kg)

plus a "personal item" that meets American's rules for a week-long Caribbean cruise in December. We want to go completely carry-on on the way there.

Any tips?

I don't blowdry or curl my hair, I only wear 4-5 pairs of shoes in my regular life, and don't do high heels

I'm figuring I'll pack:

1 formal-ish dress

2 knee-length skirts

2 swimsuits (I had a malfunction last year, I'm bringing 2 ;))

1 swimsuit coverup

2 tank tops

1 lightweight long-sleeve sunshirt

1 pair sunpants (convert to shorts)

Half a weeks' worth of underthings (can wash in sink using my shampoo, or send to be laundered)

1 pair either Mary Janes or sandals - no heels, both very small for a size 11

1 pair water shoes - cave tubing

1 folding duffel bag to check on the way back

What am I forgetting for clothes? Any suggestions for keeping toiletries/cords to a minimum?

I'd toss in a couple more tops, fancy t-shirt type or thin cotton. Also a thin cotton cardigan won't take up much room and you might need it in the A/C in the evening at dinner or at the theater.

I think you'll be fine with everything else. Great job and good luck!

So basically for the 5 non-formal days/evenings you have 3 outfits plus the cloths that you are wearing when you board the ship. And I assume that the 3 casual outfits are sutable for the MDR in the evening.

Sounds a little light to me, but since there is a laundry available it's doable.

Immodium;)

Good list.

I see you are bringing 3 bottoms (2 skirts and convertible pants) but only two shirts. I see using the sunshirt as a jacket.

Maybe eliminate one skirt and add one tshirt? Or just add a tshirt?

Immodium;)

Good list.

I see you are bringing 3 bottoms (2 skirts and convertible pants) but only two shirts. I see using the sunshirt as a jacket.

Maybe eliminate one skirt and add one tshirt? Or just add a tshirt?

I have a travel med med kit with Immodium and Dramamine and allergy stuff and Aleve and...

I'm figuring I'll end up buying at least a shirt or two along the way. :D

My fuzzy (whatever warm thing I'm wearing) will go with me on the airplane, so it'll be tied around my waist for boarding. I'll probably wear jeans and a tank top to board. I should make sure my shirts are my dressier tank tops. That should be fine for the MDR, right? Since I'll be wearing skirts instead of shorts, I figure I should have 2 in case one gets dirty or something. That way I can still change before dinner.

not sure if it's all ships, or just the one we've been on, but for toiletries, the cabin has travel sized (new) body wash and toothpaste as well as (name brand) razors for you.

The contents of the basket change. Last cruise we had no toothpaste but got a Mango smelling lotion.

not sure if it's all ships, or just the one we've been on, but for toiletries, the cabin has travel sized (new) body wash and toothpaste as well as (name brand) razors for you.

That's spiffy! It'll work for hubby, but I tend to react to things I shouldn't. It's fun to walk down to the front desk at a hotel with a red splotchy face and ask for the ingredient list on their shampoo!

Toiletries:

all-in-one shampoo/soap/body wash

aloe

lotion

toothpaste

Razor

solid deodorant

conditioner/shaving cream

Toothbrush

Hair gel

Comb

Nail clippers

Nail file

Tweezers

Where are you sailing from?

I sailed from New Orleans last January.

I took sweaters for the dining room.

Long pants. Jeans. sweat pants. Columbia parka and gloves.

And I wore all of them.

The first morning I got up early to watch the sun come up.

It was lovely, but not warm.

I needed the parka, gloves, sweat pants, socks and tennis shoes.

Another January Dh and I sailed from Mobile, it was cold for the first and last days.

I did a six days in Ireland plus two in Boston in January with only a carry on and a tote bag plus I carrried a parka, gloves, and wore my boots.

I had access to a washer, of course.

I never rewore unwashed clothes, so it can definitely be done for a cruise.

Any sleepwear or slippers ? Sounds like a plan to me. Enjoy ! The airlines regulations do make you change your ways, don't they.

Pyjamas! Those are useful.

Anyone know of a 3-1-1 kit that doesn't leak, or should I just order Nalgene travel bottles and double bag in freezer quart baggies?

Where are you sailing from?

I sailed from New Orleans last January.

I took sweaters for the dining room.

Long pants. Jeans. sweat pants. Columbia parka and gloves.

And I wore all of them.

The first morning I got up early to watch the sun come up.

It was lovely, but not warm.

I needed the parka, gloves, sweat pants, socks and tennis shoes.

Another January Dh and I sailed from Mobile, it was cold for the first and last days.

I did a six days in Ireland plus two in Boston in January with only a carry on and a tote bag plus I carrried a parka, gloves, and wore my boots.

I had access to a washer, of course.

I never rewore unwashed clothes, so it can definitely be done for a cruise.

We're going out of Miami. We're leaving from Texas. We'll definitely make sure to check the weather forecasts before we go.

Pyjamas! Those are useful.

Anyone know of a 3-1-1 kit that doesn't leak, or should I just order Nalgene travel bottles and double bag in freezer quart baggies?

I've never had anything leak in my 3-1-1. I just travel with travel sized things in a regular quart freezer baggie. The only problem I am having is my 80 spf sun block in in a 4 oz tube....trying to figure out how to not have to re-tube it into something else. :(

I agree with the others about a light sweater or cardigan. And I don't know how you sleep, but I always bring a pair of pajamas. BTW, great job! If my husband doesn't go with me, I only bring 1 rolling carry-on too. I also bring a backpack where I put my laptop, chargers, small camera, change of clothes (just in case they make me check in my rolling carry-on), my small purse (and stuff I put in it like wallet, phone, etc), and my pillow (smaller than the regular size)! Ya, they all fit in my backpack!

Added: I was too slow, pajamas were already suggested :)

I've never had anything leak in my 3-1-1. I just travel with travel sized things in a regular quart freezer baggie. The only problem I am having is my 80 spf sun block in in a 4 oz tube....trying to figure out how to not have to re-tube it into something else. :(

Sunscreen, I'm going to have to buy in Miami. I think I went through 4 spray cans of 85 SPF last year...

I'm not burning anywhere near as bad now, but I'll at least take 2 or 3!

I am an extremely light packer but this is light for even my standards... I would lay it all out and if you have room, add an additional outfit or at least an extra shirt or two.. I'm a super organized type "A" person, Look at each day, Sunday I can wear this, Mon this... Think from morning until bedtime this way you know what you can wear again (like pj's, shorts, jeans, dress, etc, and what you are willing to wash etc) and if you are missing anything.

You can do it in one suitcase (shoes and all), I do it with one med size for a week cruise without washing a thing, (however; I do share a suit bag with my husband.)

Just my opinion but you don't want to spend you vacation doing laundry (one time is tolerable, more than once... not lol). Hope yo have a great vacation...

Jennim- if laundry needs to be done, I'll pick the items that need to go and send them off to be washed at exorbitant prices. :)

However, I just realized that I may have to rethink some of what I normally take. I'm gluten-free, and usually take a few indivdual packages of Chex and such. Hmmm...

I think I've found something that will be an even better alternative. Hippy (ie, mostly organic, no MSG, no corn syrup) jerky bars with wild rice. Fairly low carb (which means I'll be much happier on the cruise!) and teeny tiny.

i would forget the duffle for the trip back. you can always pick up a bag of some kind in the ports for little or nothing for your carryon home and check your other bag. tee shirts are easy too get at the ports also too wear on the ship. use a maxi dress for a pool cover up and you can use it for dinner one night. i would put another pair or 2 of shorts in. i go really light and take a old oversize tshirt or 2 for sleeping in then leave them in the trash when the cruise is over. then i have more room for souveniers. my hair is short so i use the cabin hair dryer. my shoes are a nice pair of dress flats, 1 pair tennis shoes and 1 pr flipflops. i can use them in the cabin as well. have a great time.

*blinks*

Apparently when I'd proposed this, DF accepted because he was planning on wearing shorts & T-shirts the entire time! He's now resigned to the fact that he's going to have to wear dress pants and a dress shirts 2 of the nights and the slacks the rest of the time, but he's hoping he can get away with a good pair of black jeans.

He now says he might not be able to fit it all in a carryon now.

Pfffffft.

*blinks*

apparently when i'd proposed this, df accepted because he was planning on wearing shorts & t-shirts the entire time! He's now resigned to the fact that he's going to have to wear dress pants and a dress shirts 2 of the nights and the slacks the rest of the time, but he's hoping he can get away with a good pair of black jeans.

He now says he might not be able to fit it all in a carryon now.

Pfffffft.

you win!!

you win!!

Not precisely, as the point was not to have to wait on checked luggage. Here's hoping he can make it all fit. He should be able to, he's the master packer in this relationship...to the point that he packed my bag when I left for my last cruise, along with a collapsible duffel because he knew I'd never get it all back in once I unpacked it all!

However, I will concede that a slinky dress takes up much less room than dress pants & shirts for him, but I did tell him we could send it to be ironed, 'cause he doesn't iron at all and I don't iron on vacation!

Archived