How early can I get off the ship?

cluelyss18

This is my first time on HAL and I apologize now if this has been asked a zillion times. I tried searching but nothing came up.

On previous cruises, we have always done the 'walk off' option..we keep our luggage and leave first thing in the morning. Is this available on HAL?

I just booked our bus leaving NYC at 11:10am, only a few blocks from the terminal. Should we be ok?

Oct 2-9 Veendam to Bermuda...

Thanks in advance!

This is my first time on HAL and I apologize now if this has been asked a zillion times. I tried searching but nothing came up.

On previous cruises, we have always done the 'walk off' option..we keep our luggage and leave first thing in the morning. Is this available on HAL?

I just booked our bus leaving NYC at 11:10am, only a few blocks from the terminal. Should we be ok?

Oct 2-9 Veendam to Bermuda...

Thanks in advance!

Yes, Hal has self disembarkation:) so as long as you can lug your luggage you will be one of the first ones off.

Keep in mind, if you happen to have an early flight that disembarkation depends on customs, etc. But you can definitely get off first.

Hope you enjoy your first HAL cruise:D

Are you planning to take a cab to the bus terminal? If so, you should make that bus in plenty of time. Or do you plan to walk? :eek:

I take it you're not using the Home City bus plan that HAL has, or you would be in no hurry to leave the ship. That bus leaves from the pier at about 1:00 PM.

Yes, Hal has self disembarkation:) so as long as you can lug your luggage you will be one of the first ones off.

Jacqui, I'm not sure that really applies in New York. We have arrived there three times, once on Cunard and twice on HAL. In each case, self-debarkation, as we have found it to be in Florida ports with the drag-your-own option going first, was NOT available. I suspect this had something to do with longshoremen's or other unions, but we HAD to do the colored tag and collect our bag thing, even the one time we were deluxe suite passengers. I suppose if you only had a bag or two, you could drag your own, but we found we had to have the colored tags and wait for our time; I suspect it's the same even if you carry your own stuff. Of course, things may have changed and I could be wrong/outdated; the last time we debarked in NYC was two years ago.

That said, we found that we did get off pretty quickly, even with the wait for our color/number. We normally take a cab to Penn Station for Amtrak, and in each of the three times were there by 10 a.m. or so. So, cluelyss18 (OP), I think you are probably OK, even if your ship berths in Brooklyn instead of the usual piers near 55th St. (as you wrote, a few blocks from the bus terminal, although if it were me, I would still take a cab instead of trying to walk with luggage).

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Dave

In each case, self-debarkation, as we have found it to be in Florida ports with the drag-your-own option going first, was NOT available. I suspect this had something to do with longshoremen's or other unions...

We have only one cruise experience out of our homeport - on QM2; it was a 4-nighter and just about everybody carried their own luggage off the ship.

Thanks for all the replies!

Ruth, no, I am absolutely not planning to walk! We will be taking a cab..heaven-forbid I walk to start shedding some of the weight I'm sure to put on during this cruise!

Home city bus? I contacted HAL when I read about something like that on these boards, and HAL wrote back that since I booked via a TA they couldn't help me, couldn't even tell me if it were true about them offering bus service! eesh!

Mustang, I only bring a backpack and one suitcase. We all do, I learned on my first cruise I no longer need one suitcase of just shoes ;)

I'm getting so excited!

I can't wait to actually relaxxxxx

In each case, self-debarkation, as we have found it to be in Florida ports with the drag-your-own option going first, was NOT available. I suspect this had something to do with longshoremen's or other unions,
In December the self-debarkation was not available from the Ryndam in Tampa. The Front Desk clerk told me "the elevators are too small" to allow it on that ship, which is ridiculous, since we have done self-debarkation from the Veendam - and in Tampa too!

Did you do it, or try to do it when you got off the Ryndam after us Dave?

In December the self-debarkation was not available from the Ryndam in Tampa. The Front Desk clerk told me "the elevators are too small" to allow it on that ship, which is ridiculous, since we have done self-debarkation from the Veendam - and in Tampa too!

Did you do it, or try to do it when you got off the Ryndam after us Dave?

John,

Added on edit: John, I just went back and checked my blog, and it appears we did put our bags out and collected them ashore. I was sure we had done the self-debarkation, but I must have thought that because we were in the first group off, the deluxe suite passengers. Sorry for the confusion.

Dave

Thanks for all the replies!

Home city bus? I contacted HAL when I read about something like that on these boards, and HAL wrote back that since I booked via a TA they couldn't help me, couldn't even tell me if it were true about them offering bus service! eesh!

Your travel agent should be able to provide this information to you. He/She will contact HAL and get the particulars. If you choose to use this service they will make the reservation with HAL. There can be some advantages in utilizing this service--one being that you don't have to worry about getting to the bus terminal and catching the bus. I would certainly check it out.

Archived